Neruda (Pablo Larrain, 2016)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:00 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:I think (Jackie) and Neruda are excellent companion pieces. I am still trying to figure out whether what I saw of Larrain's methods in Neruda should cause me to re-assess just what was going on in Jackie. ;-)
Who even distroed Neruda? It was forthcoming here for months but never showed up

knives

Re: Jackie (Pablo Larrain, 2016)

#2 Post by knives » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:08 pm

The Orchard. They're a young company that mostly did docs until recently.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#3 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:11 pm

domino harvey wrote:Who even distroed Neruda? It was forthcoming here for months but never showed up
It was here in Boston for one whole week. We saw it the first day (wanting to take no chance of missing it).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:15 pm

I see it's available to rent on Amazon for five bucks too

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#5 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:18 pm

FWIW -- I thought Neruda was even more amazing than Jackie.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: No (Pablo Larrain, 2012)

#6 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Kat wrote:No thread on Neruda yet - I find it stunning, superb, helpful.
Indeed. One of my very favorite films of 2016 or 2017 (whichever it counts for). Looking forward to a Blu-Ray for rewatching -- and for processing alongside Ruiz's work.

Kat

#7 Post by Kat » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:27 am

Answering my own question from this director's film No thread, I thought I'd start this, won't say much more yet, but hope to read others' and respond.

I find this a wonderful film - witty yet serious, aware of the terrible yet approaching it, humanising, healing - showing a way to the poetic and the divine - and therefore potentially very important and relevant. Excellent acting, realisation, cinematography, music, understanding. Beautiful.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Neruda (Pablo Larrain, 2016)

#8 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 06, 2017 11:05 am

Coming to Blu-ray in the UK from Network in July

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#9 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat May 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Kat -- glad to see this has found another fan here at last. ;-)

Finch

#10 Post by Finch » Sat May 06, 2017 4:47 pm

It's my favourite film from last year. Loved, loved it. Grateful to Network for putting this out in an English-friendly Blu-Ray. I don't understand why Sony felt this was not worthy of a BD release in North America.

Kat

#11 Post by Kat » Sat May 06, 2017 5:11 pm

thx dot com, and cool Michael - I'm resisting ruining this film with interpretations, it seems to me humanly, poetically and politically important - i wonder if the political aspect has any bearing on your point Finch, I don't know, maybe not, I hope not. But it is to love.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#12 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat May 06, 2017 8:58 pm

I felt about this much the same way I do about most Kiyoshi Kurosawa films (and Bunuel ones too) -- that I prefer experiencing it to teasing out some specific "meanings".

Kat

#13 Post by Kat » Sun May 07, 2017 4:52 am

I'd like to think I am more careful, usually, than to give 'meanings', but enthusiasm sometimes gets the better of me (see recent Vertigo comments, or my Oharu bit) - but experience tells me to side more with silence, as I once did, but not total silence, no, consideration, but still spontaneous...the best response would be a poem, maybe even one not related at all in content, not directly, but in the spirit...and appreciation, appreciation, appreciation, not crrrriticsm...this film deserves the best, sadly the zombie system seems not to have noticed or not to want to notice, for the most part. Am I harsh? The Guardian gave it a range of star ratings, which I find hard to understand, how it could have been so missed as to give it two stars, though another gave it three and another four. (zombie system not especially related to the Guardian, they usually less so, somewhat...I've been reading Blake and about him, feeling uncompromising wth those that always expect me to do so and see their sense sense, utterly barren sense.)

Edit - I was thinking about this, meaning is of course important, the issue is how to share speculation on it, open, and not getting carried away with the search, remembering others.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#14 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:45 pm

I liked this less than Jackie and No, but it's still a film that shows Larrain is one of our greatest working talents, and many of his ideas and approaches here are interesting. I appreciated the amorphous twin unreliable narrators, who ultimately seem to be digesting and projecting onto each other their own imagined extremes of interpretation (hardboiled commie hater detective / degenerate commie artist). It's an intriguing variation on the standard literary trope, and the film is unconcerned with offering clarity or answers on which is "correct," and such questions seem immaterial (which makes the Guardian's guest review of this by a Neruda biographer puzzling-- this film isn't after strict fidelity). I think the Bernal segments are more effective, possibly because he gets the more obviously comic and absurd role, perhaps since Neruda's inflated depictions are not far enough from the path of many straight biopics (which says something about other biographical films, not this one). I also enjoyed the strange matching of soft digital video and purple-biased color timing, which made for a harsh but pleasingly unusual visual palette, especially in outdoor scenes.

Kat

#15 Post by Kat » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:23 pm

I love No, not seen Jackie. For me this film touches something beyond No. It is political but much more, many dimensions and offers renewal. Art of the highest order, offering feeling and meaning, concerned with the spirit, mature and also inhabiting what it offers, honestly developing its path. I've not watched my dvd yet, maybe tomorrow now I am reminded of it. It's a certain favourite of mine, and despite in some ways challenging of any distance from heart (who doesn't know this? some of my dog heart stuck in a dodgy hotel even now raiding the mini bar and dreaming of the open sea) - it's understanding of misunderstanding and recognition of commonality even then, patiently, I find very inspiring and think very important. I do not understand why its achievement is not better recognised and appreciated, or maybe fear I do...but watching this, to me, possibly therapeutic.