Trevor Howard

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Person

Trevor Howard

#1 Post by Person » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:43 pm

For most of his life, Trevor Howard (1913-1988) loved watching cricket at Lords. And then getting banjaxed in London's less salubrious pubs - though he'd drink anywhere from New York to Tahiti - as long as the endlessly lauded "unprofressional" and "ridiculous" Marlon Brando was not present. Howard was a quiet and unaffected actor, one not prone to indulging in stardom's perilous pitfalls of interviews, chat shows and TV commericials. He was, first and foremost, a participant in life, a man, a drinker, a member of Marylebone Cricket Club and he pathed this path by undertaking acting on the stage and screen for a proper wage. But then, don't most actors do just this deed? Of course they do, but for those who have imbibed Mr Howard's body of work, a key difference is noted: authenticity.

Trevor Howard, to me, was a true nutural actor. He rarely seems false, affected, phoney, twitchy, Method-like. He was a screen presence of the most persausive kind. He never asked for more money or close-ups. He never complained to the director or studio - or press. He just did an Oscar and Bafta worthy performance, went home, kept up with the cricket and rugby and got pissed then died before the Berlin Wall was rightfully fallen. A great career, a great life. Even his childless wife of 43 years loved him to the end.

Trevor Howard, for those who have seen what was presented know that he was great. Great in a good way, not in a "honorary Oscar" wankish way. He was always brilliant and true - and people are never those elusive qualities when working a shift. But that old boozer Trev was! And he refused the fatuous "Knighthood".
Last edited by Person on Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

HerrSchreck

Re: Trevor Howard

#2 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:15 pm

For those who haven't seen THEY MADE ME A FUGITIVE, get on it posthaste. Howard's performance is so fucking ferocious... his perf along with the extremely bitter storyline blended with Cavalcanti's magnificent mise en scene and chiaroscuro photography just elevate the thing to one of the greatest noirs of all time. Howard's performance really anchors the film, with its stark cynicism and blearyeyed sarcasm (flipping a coin to determine whether or not to get involved in the black market) morphing into wide-awake vengefulness and balls-to-the-wall sense of last ditch survival after his portrayal. It's right up there with anything you could possibly throw out there in terms of gritty midcentury performances.

Person

#3 Post by Person » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:23 am

There's a DVD of They Made Me a Fugitive in the UK. It's a very powerful film with one of Howard's best performances and he himself considered it so.

HerrSchreck

#4 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:40 am

"balls-to-the-wall sense of last ditch survival after his BETRAYAL," btw. Obviously I had the word Portrayal on the brain in the above post.

But really, all noir/Howard fans in the UK should grab that disc you mention. The film is a longstanding favorite, and Howard just blows me away each time I see it, all over again.

Person

#5 Post by Person » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:23 pm

I must remember that "portrayal" and "betrayal" similarity!

I ordered They Made Me a Fugitive. I felt I must see the film again as I have only seen it once many years ago before I was an admirer of Trevor Howard. He truly was a top bloke as we say over here. Of all the great hellraiser actors he seems to have been the most professional and civil. He had almost no showbiz pals, almost never did interviews and had a pragmatic view of stage and screen work, but a passionate philosophy of social life, ie cricket, boozing, shit-stirring, sex and so on.

He's great in the 1975 TV movie of The Count of Monte Cristo, I feel. Well Worth checking out. Tony Curtis, may his wits guide his soul, is in it too and is effective in a brief, yet important role.

ambrose

#6 Post by ambrose » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:32 am