Looking for (Jean-Claude) Carriere

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
mario gauci

Looking for (Jean-Claude) Carriere

#1 Post by mario gauci » Sat May 22, 2010 5:52 am

This is clearly a long shot...but does anybody here know how I could contact screenwriter extraordinaire Jean-Claude Carriere?

Given that Luis Bunuel has been my all-time favorite film director since the Summer of 1992 - when first saw THE PHANTOM OF LIBERTY (1974) - and also in view of Carriere's enviable collaborations over the years with most of the major European film-makers (from Pierre Etaix in 1961 to Michael Haneke in 2009), I've been wanting to meet or contact him for, at least, the last 10 years.

Indeed, it seems a mystery to me how nobody has yet had the inclination to shoot a documentary on him. Thankfully, his Bunuelian exploits have been treated in several DVD featurettes...but I'm sure he'd be willing to speak about the rest of his film work too given half a chance.

I'm also aware that he's been doing the rounds in various Screenwriting seminars around the world and I'd be truly grateful to anyone who could direct me to his next such appearance or mailing address.

Thanks in advance.

MichaelB

Re: Looking for (Jean-Claude) Carriere

#2 Post by MichaelB » Sat May 22, 2010 6:33 am

Sorry, I'm confused - have you actually been trying to contact him for ten years and have drawn a blank, or have you merely been idly musing that it would be a cool idea to get in touch with him without actually doing anything about it?

I only ask because it took me less than five minutes, using tools no more sophisticated than Google, to find direct contact details for someone who knows him personally.

mario gauci

#3 Post by mario gauci » Sat May 22, 2010 5:32 pm

MichaelB wrote:Sorry, I'm confused - have you actually been trying to contact him for ten years and have drawn a blank, or have you merely been idly musing that it would be a cool idea to get in touch with him without actually doing anything about it?

I only ask because it took me less than five minutes, using tools no more sophisticated than Google, to find direct contact details for someone who knows him personally.
Hi Michael,

I kind of knew you'd be one of those who replied!

Although I admit that my struggle to contact Mr. Carriere was far less epic than the Trojan conflict (despite the similarity in duration), you must have a far friendlier version of "Google" than yours truly! Actually, whenever I did a search over there (the latest one being just this very morning) on Mr. Carriere, all I came up with were interviews, biographies, photos and the like!!

Actually, once I did send him a letter - mailed to the French Academy of Writers (or some such body) of which Mr. Carriere used to be President - in the hope that they might onforward it to him but, as you can surmise, they never did...or, at least, he didn't reply!

Besides, knowing that Mr. Carriere had been involved in supplements for the Criterion discs of the Bunuel films - as well as THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING (1988) - I also e-mailed the ubiquitous Criterion insider "Jon Mulvaney" several years ago asking for his contact details but, obviously enough, the "We don't give out that sort of information" reply was the one I eventually got from him!

P.S. I've been following the NFT programme on-and-off for the past 11 years and have attended several screenings in 1999 (4 Hitchcocks), 2002 (several Erich von Stroheims and Kon Ichikawas) and 2007 (16 Bunuel films). Seeing how next year marks Jean-Claude Carriere's 80 birthday and the 50th anniversary of his entree` in movies, wouldn't it be a great idea if the BFI decided to hold an NFT retrospective of this most prolific and important of screenwriters with the great man himself in attendance?

Camera Obscura

#4 Post by Camera Obscura » Sun May 23, 2010 12:07 pm

mario gauci wrote:This is clearly a long shot...but does anybody here know how I could contact screenwriter extraordinaire Jean-Claude Carriere?
He might decline, but it shouldn't be to hard to get in touch for an interview. Naturally, they're not gonna give his private phone number to anyone, but surely, he must have an agent or publisher who could at least forward the request (though I'm not sure who's representing him right now).

Just out of curiosity, in what capacity do you want to get in touch (webzine, magazine, DVD extras, plugging your script), or were you planning on making a documentary on him?

impossiblefunky

#5 Post by impossiblefunky » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:50 am

I'm also looking for a way to get in touch with him. I'd like to interview him for The Projection Booth podcast.