Peculiar Film Viewing Rituals

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
knives

Re: Peculiar Film Viewing Rituals

#26 Post by knives » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:53 am

Now that we're finally developing a groove, my piece of oddness (even though it has a degree of common sense to it) is that I have very strict balancing rules with watching. In my ever failing attempt to keep the kevyip under ten titles I always switch between the kevyip and the already watched section. Also to ensure I don't put off a title for the rest of the decade I view the kevyip titles by when I bought them, and if there are any extras I'd like to bother with but don't have the time to view I slap under the top two. I do a similar thing, not going to get into that for fear of making this post too ego stroking, with the watched titles to prevent neglect.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#27 Post by Brian C » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:31 am

It's clear that my viewing habits are vastly different than most here, in that I actually watch relatively few DVDs, and the ones I do watch are almost always movies I've seen before. I've never had a big collection, and I'm not, and never have been, region-free (yikes, why does typing that feel like admitting to being a Nazi?). But I do live in a great movie town, with a wealth of options available to me at the cinema, and I try to get to as many of those as I can. I can always double-back for the DVD (if available) when I want to watch it again.

The great thing about this is that every time the Music Box, Doc Films, the Gene Siskel Film Center, etc., release an upcoming schedule, it's like Criterion announcement day. For example, the other day Doc Films released their Spring schedule, and there are all kinds of goodies in there: Saint Joan, Mélo, Céline and Julie Go Boating, Children of Heaven, and any number of others that I haven't seen and will want to make time for. The Music Box is finishing up a matinee series of Fritz Lang's American films. I got to see, among others, While the City Sleeps and Human Desire, neither of which are easily available on DVD as far as I know.

On one hand, this strategy is inherently self-limiting, although perhaps not as much as you might assume. On the other hand, I long ago resigned myself to the fact that there are more movies out there - more great movies - than I'll ever possibly be able to see. And the big benefit I've found - besides seeing a bunch of amazing 35mm prints of films I'd have never thought I'd get to see on the big screen before moving to Chicago - is that there's always something new and wonderful coming around the corner.

aox

#28 Post by aox » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:56 am

I have always wanted to ask what this word, "kevyip" means, how it is pronounced, and where it is derived from. I assume it is another colloquial way of saying "queue"?

Napier

#29 Post by Napier » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:58 am

aox wrote:I have always wanted to ask what this word, "kevyip" means, how it is pronounced, and where it is derived from. I assume it is another colloquial way of saying "queue"?
Look it up in the urban dictionary. I'm sure you'll get a laugh. I won't spoil it for you by actually linking to it.

aox

#30 Post by aox » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:04 am

Napier wrote:
aox wrote:I have always wanted to ask what this word, "kevyip" means, how it is pronounced, and where it is derived from. I assume it is another colloquial way of saying "queue"?
Look it up in the urban dictionary. I'm sure you'll get a laugh. I won't spoil it for you by actually linking to it.
Wow.. and if that wasn't funny enough, there is a link for merchandise.

When the internet gets real. =D>

Is there a thread to read this ridiculous assertion/conversation? (I'd rather not derail this one).

Sloper

#31 Post by Sloper » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:06 am

Good lord. Who says trolling doesn't pay?

LQ

#32 Post by LQ » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:08 am

aox

#33 Post by aox » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:17 am

Thanks

Murdoch

#34 Post by Murdoch » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:35 am

aox wrote:Wow.. and if that wasn't funny enough, there is a link for merchandise.
I'm totally getting myself a kevyip two-tone mug.

edit: Never mind, I could get two Kinos from the DD sale for that price!

aox

#35 Post by aox » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:20 pm

Murdoch wrote:
aox wrote:Wow.. and if that wasn't funny enough, there is a link for merchandise.
I'm totally getting myself a kevyip two-tone mug.

Yeah, but would you bother to watch them?

Murdoch

#36 Post by Murdoch » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:19 pm

Probably not

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#37 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:31 pm

The mug would just end up in your unwashed pile anyways

zedz

#38 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:36 pm

karmajuice wrote:I used to eat sunflower seeds when I watched movies on my own, at home. My teeth have the constant urge to gnaw, and if it's not sunflower seeds it's my fingers, or the inside of my mouth. Recently I've given them up during movies, because my eating them distracts too much from the experience. Some inner-cheek nibbling may occur but at least my attention is focused.
I really hope you viewed Goodbye Dragon Inn while you were still sunflowering.

By now, I'm resigned to the fact that I'm the only person who doesn't count the movies I've seen - or even keep track of them in any systematic way. I can't even think of any particularly weird rituals (or maybe they just seem normal to me - what, you don't practice knife-throwing while watching Soviet musicals?), except being engaged in some long-form viewing project like the Kluge set, which I'm sure would strike a lot of people as mad.

I do, however, have a cast-iron rule that I will always watch entire films, however abysmal or aggravating. In especially egregious cases I sometimes have to limp to the finish line over several days, doing other stuff while it's on. And I've tended to extend this masochistic courtesy to DVD extras as well, though I'm happier writing off a particularly fawning commentary after twenty minutes, and they're much easier to half-ignore as background noise while you're doing the ironing, cooking dinner, constructing furniture, cutting out letters for blackmail notes, or indeed loading the puppies into that sling thing.

godardslave

#39 Post by godardslave » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:34 pm

Good Grief.
I had no idea people were actually making money out of it, how bizarre.

Is the user "Kevyip1" getting royalties?
He should of copyrighted his name! :shock:

cdnchris
Site Admin

#40 Post by cdnchris » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:50 pm

zedz wrote: By now, I'm resigned to the fact that I'm the only person who doesn't count the movies I've seen - or even keep track of them in any systematic way.
I don't count either and I have no clue. I've been watching them since I was 4 or 5 when my dad brought home an RCA SelectaVision player. He had hundreds of discs and I watched almost all of them and I know I've seen thousands since then.
I do, however, have a cast-iron rule that I will always watch entire films, however abysmal or aggravating. In especially egregious cases I sometimes have to limp to the finish line over several days, doing other stuff while it's on.
Sadly, I do as well, though lately I've started to become less strict thanks to the Netflix instant queue and its endless amount of crap. It becomes easier to turn off a movie then for some reason. I also didn't really watch the last Transformers movie. My wife fell asleep and I decided to work on something else, not really paying attention to it. So even though it played to the end I can't tell you what it was about, nor do I really care.

zedz

#41 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:56 pm

cdnchris wrote:My wife fell asleep and I decided to work on something else, not really paying attention to it. So even though it played to the end I can't tell you what it was about, nor do I really care.
I've done exactly the same thing, and hearing you say it, I think this definitely counts as peculiar!

One of us, one of us.

Napier

#42 Post by Napier » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:59 pm

I make miso soup for my Japanese students, then I force them to watch old movies from their country. Sometimes they love it, sometimes they would rather watch a Tarantino. There's always plenty of sake & beer on hand though.

aox

#43 Post by aox » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:06 pm

Napier wrote:I make miso soup for my Japanese students, then I force them to watch old movies from their country. Sometimes they love it, sometimes they would rather watch a Tarantino. There's always plenty of sake & beer on hand though.
That sounds fantastic.

I usually have some wine when I am screening.

knives

#44 Post by knives » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:09 pm

If we're talking food, I absolutely refuse to eat when it's the first time I watch a movie (for pretty similar reasons as karma's sunflower seeds).

Jean-Luc Garbo

#45 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:28 pm

knives wrote:If we're talking food, I absolutely refuse to eat when it's the first time I watch a movie.
I do the same even if it's in my native language. I'm always looking down to make sure I don't get anything on my clothes or floor anyway. The first time to watch a movie doesn't need to be compromised. Also, I don't know if this counts as peculiar, but I keep posters all over my apartment except in one place: the area of my TV. The blank space on the wall behind it helps me concentrate better. For some reason, I get distracted having a big blue Juliette Binoche or bright Rushmore towering over me while I watch stuff definitely not Kieslowski or Anderson. I don't have a really big TV so it kinda helps me pay attention better. This is to say nothing of the Garbo poster which would certainly ruin any movie - even Garbo ones!

Matt

#46 Post by Matt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:53 pm

I am unable to watch a movie at home without the cat on my lap or "in the tent" (legs bent with blanket over them). That's not really my peculiarity, though.

Sloper

#47 Post by Sloper » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:11 pm

knives wrote:If we're talking food, I absolutely refuse to eat when it's the first time I watch a movie (for pretty similar reasons as karma's sunflower seeds).
Thirded, at least if it's a film I'm genuinely interested in. Even without being distracted by the process of eating and keeping the bits off the furniture, just the sound of myself chewing is an unwanted addition to the film's soundtrack. All the same, I kind of miss my innocent, pre-OCD days when all I needed to be happy was a bacon sandwich and a crappy VHS of What's Up Tiger Lily? And, yes, the cat on my lap.

Perkins Cobb

#48 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:07 pm

I'm fine with eating during a movie that I expect will be minor or not especially bold formally (it's my only exception to always having the lights off), but I won't schedule anything "important" for mealtime. Yes, I do plan ahead on this.

I'm still pretty rigid about watching a movie in a single sitting without interruptions (unless it's eight hours long). I get the shivers when I loan a DVD to somebody (usually some poor sap with kids, or a wife) and they report back on watching bits and pieces of it over several nights - I don't see how a movie, even a crummy one, wouldn't be ruined that way. As I've gotten older, I sometimes find that I need a nap in the middle of a movie, but I find that doesn't make much difference as long as I go right back to the movie when I wake up.

Basically, unlike many of you, I don't watch stuff a second time. I'm not opposed to it, but I do find it to be a "diminishing returns" kind of thing and my kevyip is so huge that I just always choose something new instead of something old. On the rare occasions I do re-watch something, I don't track it on the spreadsheet, so I guess if I ever do start revisiting the classics more often I'll have to add a new column!

Cash Flagg

#49 Post by Cash Flagg » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:14 pm

Murdoch wrote:I'm totally getting myself a kevyip two-tone mug.

Yes, but the mug's text is in its original language.

stephenp

#50 Post by stephenp » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:41 am

You guys are weird.
This thread has convinced me to go and lurk on a normal forum instead, and cyberstalk normal folks for a change.