New York City Repertory Cinema

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism both old and new, as well as memorializing public figures we've lost.
FrauBlucher

Re: New York City Repertory Cinema

#401 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:18 pm

I was told by one of the programmers that a Romanian New Wave retrospective will be scheduled for the NYC Film Forum

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#402 Post by Drucker » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:43 pm

It's not online yet, but according to the Metrograph zine they are playing some Minelli in 35mm starting August 16, including Brigadoon, Lust for Life, Gigi, Kismet and a few others.

hearthesilence

#403 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:12 pm

Gigi would be great. I was actually thinking of getting the BD recently, but I looked into it and found out that the film elements have a LOT of problems (partly because the stock itself isn't known to hold up very well). The attempts to fix it for the BD weren't that successful, but it would be great to see an excellent print if they've got one.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#404 Post by Drucker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:42 pm

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#405 Post by ando » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:54 am

Don't let the summer go by without a trip (or several) to the Anthology Film Archives for their Essential Cinema series. Most, if not all, in the series are 35mm screenings. A selection of Bresson is featured over the next couple of weeks. My sudden nostalgia for viewing films in the oldest New York theaters and the looming closure of The Paris inspired a renewed interest in the AFA. Don't want to lose this!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#406 Post by Drucker » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:23 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:12 pm
Gigi would be great. I was actually thinking of getting the BD recently, but I looked into it and found out that the film elements have a LOT of problems (partly because the stock itself isn't known to hold up very well). The attempts to fix it for the BD weren't that successful, but it would be great to see an excellent print if they've got one.
The series is Minelli in widescreen and everything's on 35

Dom if you're reading this what are the essentials?
Last edited by Drucker on Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#407 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:28 pm

Some Came Running, Kismet, the Reluctant Debutant, and Bells Are Ringing, in that order. Some ‘Scope titles are MIA, like Goodbye Charlie

FrauBlucher

#408 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#409 Post by Drucker » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:49 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:12 pm
Gigi was a fun film for the most part (though like Some Came Running, I found its ending pretty abrupt!) but I will say that the print I saw pretty much resembles the screencaps on DVD Beaver. It definitely had a different color timing than Running, which more closely resembles Home From The Hill, and has the golden/blueish lean.