Recent Film Restorations

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
GaryC

Re: Recent Film Restorations

#126 Post by GaryC » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:34 am

The NFSA in Australia has just restored The Cheaters (1929), directed by Paulette McDonagh. It premiered earlier this month.

FrauBlucher

#127 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:41 pm

I'm currently watching TCM. A between films segment, Ben Mankiewicz is interviewing John Bailey, President of The Film Academy Arts and Sciences, they are talking about the Academy Archives in which they have taken up film restorations. Bailey said they work closely with other organizations like the Film Foundation and the UCLA Archive. They are currently working on restoring Detour. That would be awesome. Especially if they came across some better elements. Hopefully it's on Criterion's radar.

DeprongMori

#128 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:42 pm

At the current Noir City festival in San Francisco, Eddie Muller announced that the screening of I Walk Alone, starring Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas, was a new digital restoration from Universal. There is still a fair amount of speckling and damage apparent, so it wasn’t a full restoration. It still looked pretty darned good.

Calvin

#129 Post by Calvin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:58 am

This January's CNC funding report has only just appeared online. To highlight a few titles:

Douce (Autant-Lara)
Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne (Bresson)
Diary of a Country Priest (Bresson)
The Strange Monsieur Victor (Grémillon)
La Fille de l'eau (Renoir)
Nana (Renoir)
Sur un air de Charleston (Renoir)
The Little Match Girl (Renoir)

Ribs

#130 Post by Ribs » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:01 am

And it also seems like it may explain why Arrow's pulled L'atalantide from the schedule!

diamonds

#131 Post by diamonds » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:55 pm

Today the Metrograph will be playing a reconstruction of Personal Problems (1980). I've observed rumblings about this for a few weeks leading up to it, and everything I've read about it sounds absolutely fascinating. Has anyone seen this work? Further, since the "restoration" is Kino Lorber, is there a good chance we'll see a physical release anytime soon?

thirtyframesasecond

#133 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:15 am

Nice, it's a great movie - especially if you're also a fan of Primal Scream's Xtrmntr.

Calvin

#134 Post by Calvin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:25 pm

The China Film Archive's 4K restorations of Chen Kaige's Yellow Earth and Tian Zhuangzhuang's The Horse Thief will premiere at the Beijing International Film Festival this month. Though they have apparently been claiming that they've restored The Horse Thief in 48fps...

beamish13

#135 Post by beamish13 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:49 pm

Calvin wrote:The China Film Archive's 4K restorations of Chen Kaige's Yellow Earth and Tian Zhuangzhuang's The Horse Thief will premiere at the Beijing International Film Festival this month. Though they have apparently been claiming that they've restored The Horse Thief in 48fps...

WOW. These are two monumental works that have long been in need of restorations and greater visibility in the West. I saw a new 35mm print of Yellow Earth a few years ago, and it looked a bit rough, but it elevated a film I had previously just enjoyed on VHS to becoming an all-time favorite.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#136 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:51 pm

Yellow Earth is great, hopefully one of the more visible labels picks it up to give it more exposure

hearthesilence

#137 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:53 pm

If it was filmed in 24fps, I'm not sure converting it to 48 fps will actually do anything unless they're doing something awful like creating "interpolated" frames instead of repeating every frame. Hoping for the best.

StevenJ0001

#138 Post by StevenJ0001 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Yes, love Yellow Earth, and I'd kind of given up hope of it ever getting some decent treatment. Great news!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#139 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:16 pm

Horse Thief is also exciting news!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#140 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:17 pm

This will be Martin Scorsese's favorite Blu-ray release of the 2020s

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#141 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:28 pm

domino harvey wrote:This will be Martin Scorsese's favorite film of the 2020s
Fixed

thirtyframesasecond

#143 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:24 am

Yellow Earth is fantastic, and it would be great if his other early films (The Big Parade, King of the Children, Life on a String) got decent releases too.

Calvin

#144 Post by Calvin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:18 am

hearthesilence wrote:If it was filmed in 24fps, I'm not sure converting it to 48 fps will actually do anything unless they're doing something awful like creating "interpolated" frames instead of repeating every frame. Hoping for the best.
Whatever it is they've done, a new post on that thread says that it is distracting. And they've scrubbed the grain. Here's hoping that, if it does get licensed, they can rescue it by going back to an earlier step in the workflow.

hearthesilence

#145 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:53 pm

That sucks. Sort of like crawling through a desert and finding an oasis, only to discover that some asshat has been using it as a toilet.

Ribs

#146 Post by Ribs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:55 am

jsteffe

#147 Post by jsteffe » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:14 pm

Calvin wrote: Whatever it is they've done, a new post on that thread says that it is distracting. And they've scrubbed the grain. Here's hoping that, if it does get licensed, they can rescue it by going back to an earlier step in the workflow.
I think digital film restoration is still in its awkward adolescent phase. There is much excellent work being done, but also a lot of questionable choices regarding things like grain management and color grading/color management workflow. (And now frame rate, too???) As a result, there are far too many restorations out there with obvious technical problems, and they become the default versions that people will have access to for years to come. We desperately need more internationally agreed-upon standards and more accountability within the digital film restoration community.

Costa

#148 Post by Costa » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:13 pm

Every time I open this thread I open it with fear.
Fear that i'll see some favourite films being restored by Eclair and Ritrovata, the worst studios that films have ever encountered!
And alas, it's like this now!!!

The Big Blue and Cyrano, probably took the teal turn!! :(

by the way, I thought Vertigo already had a 4K scan according to this:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=218262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Petty Bourgeoisie

#149 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:55 am

With each directors cut, restoration or whatever, The Big Blue moves further away from the movie I fell in love with - the truncated U.S. version with Bill Conti soundtrack. Oh well, I still have my VHS copy from the late 80's.

Good to see the restoration of Rivette's La Religieuse is complete. Being a Studiocanal holding, any ideas on who might release blu rays for regions A and B? If it comes out looking "Ritrovata Teal", I'll freak out!

knives

#150 Post by knives » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:52 am

Cohen has the US holding I believe.