Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
jlnight

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#126 Post by jlnight » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:22 pm

Ikiru was shown as part of Robinson's Choice (20/11/85).

A couple of Kurosawa seasons on Channel 4, one in 1986, and a short one in 1988:

02/07/86 - Rashomon
09/07/86 - Lower Depths
16/07/86 - Bad Sleep Well
30/07/86 - Drunken Angel

17/03/88 - Throne of Blood
24/03/88 - Silent Duel
31/03/88 - I Live in Fear

MaxCastle

#127 Post by MaxCastle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:50 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Sloper wrote:There must have been one in the early 2000s as well (presumably on 4), because that's when I first saw it. Obviously I don't have the VHS anymore, so I can't check.
Was it on Film4 in the early 2000s? I know that there were a few Japanese films on during its subscription years, but I personally don't count Film4 until the point I was able to get the channel - April 2008! [-(
Ikiru was screened on BBC Knowledge in January 2002 (not long before the channel transformed into BBC Four).

Sloper

#128 Post by Sloper » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:25 am

That was the one! Thank you, I'd totally forgotten about that channel. It must have changed to BBC4 very soon afterwards, because I'm pretty sure that was the same year they showed Sansho the Bailiff (which was definitely BBC4).

Jonathan S

#129 Post by Jonathan S » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:24 am

A couple of unusual RKOs on BBC2 this weekend:
Sat 1 Feb, 6.35am: Enchanted April (1935) - don't recall any previous broadcast here
Sun 2 Feb, 6.05am: The Whip Hand (1951) - Hughes-era anti-Red thriller directed by William Cameron Menzies

These are followed by the more commonly shown/available British comedies, The Maggie and I'm All Right, Jack.

On Sat 8 Feb they squeeze in another showing of Annie Oakley (1935) at 6.30am but after that early morning movies will probably be frozen out by the Winter Olympics... from the remarkable city without any gay residents.

GaryC

#130 Post by GaryC » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:49 am

Jonathan S wrote:A couple of unusual RKOs on BBC2 this weekend:
Sat 1 Feb, 6.35am: Enchanted April (1935) - don't recall any previous broadcast here
Nor do I, and the BFI database doesn't list a previous showing either. As these films now go on Iplayer, I've just had a look there, as it (or rather the online version rather the one that my digibox and smart TV uses) lists original showings for repeats, but in this case "first broadcast" is today. That probably just means that the previous showing was before Iplayer existed, as Radio Times doesn't list today's showing as a premiere. Iplayer has a colour still - from the 1992 version maybe? I've recorded this so will watch it later.

colinr0380

#131 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:21 am

I've just noticed that Bill Forsyth's film Comfort and Joy is getting a relatively rare screening on BBC2 in the early hours of this Sunday morning. The Radio Times is listing it as starting at 1 a.m., but it could get pushed later or cancelled by the tennis on before.

colinr0380

#132 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:39 pm

Jonathan S wrote:Sun 2 Feb, 6.05am: The Whip Hand (1951) - Hughes-era anti-Red thriller directed by William Cameron Menzies.
"First we have interrogation, then fear, a warning shot...then censorship"

The Whip Hand was great fun! It is one of those paranoid thrillers about a journalist on a trout fishing holiday stumbling across a conspiracy and wall of silence in the local town he visits. The first 40 minutes of this 85 minute film are filled with tons of paranoid "the best thing for you would be to get out", or "I'm sure you'll want to leave first thing in the morning" statements from the local townsfolk to Matt Corbin, our hero. In a way, while it is in the thriller genre, it is a very early example of the later sci-fi paranoia films to come to prominence in the 50s, particularly William Cameron Menzies' own Invaders From Mars from a couple of years later, although I think that The Whip Hand can more than hold its own as a proto-Invasion of the Body Snatchers too. Especially if we see it as explicitly dealing with the Communist fears that Body Snatchers or Invaders From Mars abstracts into aliens!

The Whip Hand is one of those films, mostly due to the tight lipped townsfolk, where the plot is moved forward by occasionally stumbling across a gated private estate, or opening a particular book to coincidentally light upon a clue, rather than any particularly conscious decision by the hero, which is a slight flaw. Matt is also pretty open in his chats to all of the obviously shifty characters surrounding him, casually telling them all of his suspicions and what he is going to do about them pretty much straight away rather than keeping his cards close to his chest! I guess this is most on display in his love interest of the local doctor's sister, where he gabs on about all of his suspicions and plans to a lady who really shows absolutely no interest in him for the first half of the film! (This is where a later film more interested in twists would perhaps have Matt betrayed by his love interest. Here though she is a very uncomplicated character always on the side of right, and which the film is at pains in the final scenes, Good German-style, to say over and over that she had no idea of what was going on with her brother) Even the first time Matt kisses her is kind of a surprise as he is sort of forcing himself on her with no idea of whether she actually has any reciprocal feelings! Though I like the moment when she definitively takes sides involves Matt tapping on her window and getting her to escape with him, which again is a little Body Snatchers-prefiguring in the sense of having to save yourself by escaping from your family home by an unorthodox exit!

However I do like the way that even the very open and seemingly just average trout fisherman Matt turns out to have his own connection to the mystery. Did he just stumble on the mystery while actually night fishing, or was that just his cover whilst investigating the area? Pleasingly the film leaves this all open.

I also liked the way that despite being pretty straightforward throughout that the plot does throw in a couple of interesting twists. I like the way that we get the change in the townsfolk from wanting Matt to get on his way in the first section to having collectively made the decision that he is not going to leave (by disabling his car) later on! Which attitude is creepier, I couldn't say for sure!

And I like that at the end of the meeting with the reclusive Dr Petersen, he pointedly tells Matt he should drink the glass of matured brandy that they have provided for him as it would be rude not to. It plays like an obvious 'this drink is drugged' moment, and the film brilliantly has Matt pick it up then talk his way out of drinking it by saying he wants to keep a clear head, only to then have Dr Petersen say "shame!", pick the glass up and drink it himself, as if to laugh at Matt's paranoid (but well founded) fears!

Given the time that the film was made, I amused myself by wondering whether it would be Communists or Nazis who would turn out to be the major villains of the piece and was highly amused when it turned out to be Communists employing ex-Nazi germ warfare scientists! (I also loved the way that in the final few scenes of the film, a lot of the characters suddenly start speaking with German accents!) But having said that it is a piece of its time, you'd really only have to turn the Communist-Nazis into Middle Eastern terrorists wanting to set off a series of highly infectious diseases across the country to update the material to the modern day thriller! (which kind of suggests how far we haven't come!)

The final scenes are actually dealing with some quite upsetting material, in showing the private estate filled by what are called in the final speech either "willing Communist volunteers" or "traitors" who have been infected with different diseases for the plan, all of whom are bandaged and shuffling around like zombies. I say zombies because in the final scene where the (by now extremely German accented!) mad scientist locks himself and the bomb he is holding inside the room with the patients, I was hoping that they would immediately turn on him and attack him in a zombie film-prefiguring manner! They eventually do this (with the last sight of the scientist under the pile of bodies being one patient administering a blow to his crotch with their crutch!) but they kindly wait for him to monologue his evil plan to the tommy-gun wielding police officers behind bullet proof glass, while Matt gets a key to the door and sneaks up on him from behind to deliver the first punch!

Anyway, this film was great fun, both exciting and amusing! A couple of other small moments I liked was that the movie theatre that Matt goes to in order to get to know the doctor's sister a bit better has a soundtrack for the unseen film that everyone in the audience is finding hilarious that involves some happy and bright bouncy music overlaid over a dog barking and a cat yowling in absolute terror! It sounded so horrible that I was actually worried for the cat that was making those noises! And I really miss films which show the typewriter's point of view as someone taps out a message!

I also learnt that a creel is a wicker basket used by anglers to hold their catch! Who says that the movies cannot teach you anything new?

colinr0380

#133 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:03 pm

The rarest/most interesting film of next week for me is going to be An Elephant Called Slowly on Film4 Monday 10th March at 2.50 p.m. - a reteaming of the Born Free director and the human stars (Virginia McKenna and Bill Travers, who had also starred together in the otter-centric Ring Of Bright Water the year before this), just with elephants rather than lions!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

peterelson

#134 Post by peterelson » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:31 am

Not exactly 'upcoming' but I saw, I think on BBC2, a looonnnggg time ago (probably around 1980) a Russian version of The Master and Margarita. It was most certainly a Russian film (not a non-Russian version), because there was a song in it sung by the walking, talking cat Behemoth which was definitely in Russian. The film ends with The Master, presumably having died in his room at the sanatorium, climbing out of the window and joining Jesus and Pilate on the walk along the moonbeam. Ever since I saw it I have been trying to track it down but no website even acknowledges that the film exists (or existed). Help ! Where can I find it ?

TMDaines

#135 Post by TMDaines » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:32 am

peterelson wrote:Not exactly 'upcoming' but I saw, I think on BBC2, a looonnnggg time ago (probably around 1980) a Russian version of The Master and Margarita. It was most certainly a Russian film (not a non-Russian version), because there was a song in it sung by the walking, talking cat Behemoth which was definitely in Russian. The film ends with The Master, presumably having died in his room at the sanatorium, climbing out of the window and joining Jesus and Pilate on the walk along the moonbeam. Ever since I saw it I have been trying to track it down but no website even acknowledges that the film exists (or existed). Help ! Where can I find it ?
You want the next thread down.

TMDaines

#136 Post by TMDaines » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:41 am

What do people use for browsing the upcoming films on UK TV?

I like filmeup.com for being able to see the bigger hitters and the ability to select your TV package, but is there something that perhaps ties in with IMDB to show their scores. Perhaps it would have the feature to filter out films you've already seen and rated?

colinr0380

#137 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:26 pm

I'm just a weekly Radio Times person, although I do a monthly trawl of the Horror Channel's listings for their upcoming films as well to get on top of what's coming up so that I can then relax and not worry that I'm missing anything! The films that caught my interest on the Horror Channel next month: Popcorn, which domino wrote up for the Horror List Project; Grizzly, the 1976 Jaws-but-with-a-bear rip off; the original 1973 version of Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark and the Ernest Borgnine-Ida Lupino-William Shatner-Keenan Wynn-John Travolta starring The Devil's Rain.

The gratingly annoying (until the zombie uprising) Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things is getting a very rare screening (the first on UK TV?) on Friday 21st March too! My write up from the Horror project is here.

TMDaines

#138 Post by TMDaines » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:49 am

I'm guessing Son of Kong, on the iPlayer and shown on BBC2 this weekend, is cut or incomplete as it is only 59mins long? Isn't it usually 70mins and thus PAL speed up can't be to blame?

EddieLarkin

#139 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:03 am

The UK DVD is 66:37 (PAL speed) so I guess so. Maybe they wanted to squeeze it into a 1 hour slot. Dicks.

Jonathan S

#140 Post by Jonathan S » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:52 am

Previous BBC transmissions were also just under an hour. I don't think they deliberately cut films (at least not of that vintage) anymore, but many of the BBC's RKO masters are taken from old UK prints that in some cases were censored (theatrically or for early TV broadcasts) or just trimmed for reissue double-bills. They are still using the same tape transfers of these prints, made I guess in the 1990s. We noted the shorter running time of The Informer earlier this year, and the BBC still show slightly censored UK prints of The Stranger on the Third Floor, The Seventh Victim and The Armored Car Robbery, just to name the examples that come to mind.

The Odeon DVD of Son of Kong may derive from Warner's US material, as appears to be the case with most of their RKO releases I've seen.

colinr0380

#141 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:16 pm

I've just noticed that instead of screening I Know Where I'm Going! tomorrow at 6 a.m., it looks as if BBC2 have replaced it with the Charles Laughton film They Knew What They Wanted.

colinr0380

#142 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:17 pm

colinr0380 in April 2013 wrote:This isn't film related but I'm quite upset that The Review Show has been moved from a weekly post-Newsnight slot on BBC2 Friday nights to BBC4 on Sunday evenings but only once a month. I almost never agreed with the opinions put forward but it was nice to see a regular debate on films, books, music, theatre and arts on television (and by that I'm not counting 'arts magazine' shows like The Culture Show interviewing the creators, but more critical discussion programmes). Worryingly this move to once-monthly seems like it could be a precursor to dropping the show altogether.
Sadly it seems as if this was the case all along as at the end of this month's show Martha Kearney announced it was the last one and thanked the previous 21 years of commentators who appeared.

A real shame, as I honestly don't think I would have the same knowledge of, or interest in Germaine Greer, Tom Paulin and John Carey without regularly seeing them on the show (though it did make sense of Paul Morley going on about the death of critics and critical thought amongst audiences throughout the show more than he usually does!). Even Kevin Smith turned up on the show a couple of times as a guest commentator and made some fascinating points!

I wonder whether the move was the final death knell for the show (I know that I kept missing it in its 8 pm timeslot and then being annoyed at it being one of the few BBC programmes that didn't get a televised repeat at a different time during the week), or whether moving the show to Sundays was a last attempt at keeping it going for a year? I strongly suspect the former myself.

Ah, here's an article on the show being axed from the Guardian a few days ago that I had missed.

MaxCastle

#143 Post by MaxCastle » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:27 pm

colinr0380 wrote: I wonder whether the move was the final death knell for the show (I know that I kept missing it in its 8 pm timeslot and then being annoyed at it being one of the few BBC programmes that didn't get a televised repeat at a different time during the week), or whether moving the show to Sundays was a last attempt at keeping it going for a year? I strongly suspect the former myself.
It did actually get a televised repeat, but not necessarily in the same week, and buried so deep in the schedules that missing it was more likely than not; so, yeah, I don't think there was ever any real commitment to keeping it going.

neilist

#144 Post by neilist » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:38 pm

Ophüls' classic 'Letter from an Unknown Woman' is on iPlayer until next Monday. Always worth a watch.

kidc85

#145 Post by kidc85 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:31 pm

... Along with his CAUGHT, streaming until Saturday.

THE ARTIST is also there, if that's anyone's kind of thing.

colinr0380

#146 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:24 pm

I watched the rather annoying Haunting In Connecticut last night instead! (Which bizarrely has Harold Lloyd's The Freshman playing on a TV in an early scene!)

antnield

#147 Post by antnield » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:26 am

Cinema South Asia - four screenings over the next four weeks, beginning tonight on Channel 4.

thirtyframesasecond

#148 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Thu May 01, 2014 6:25 am

antnield wrote:Cinema South Asia - four screenings over the next four weeks, beginning tonight on Channel 4.
Thanks! I didn't record Bol - I'll see if it's retrievable from the Sky Planner.

antnield

#149 Post by antnield » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:55 am

The New York Review of Books: A 50 Year Argument, co-directed by Martin Scorsese, is showing on BBC4 this coming Sunday at 9pm.

antnield

#150 Post by antnield » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:56 pm

Next week on BBC4 (Sunday July 6th, 10.40pm) is a screening of Velorama, the latest compilation to be made up from footage held by the BFI National Archive...
A new film created from stunning British Film Institute archive film about a Century of the Bicycle.

Velorama, is a specially-commissioned new feature-length documentary directed by award-winning filmmaker Daisy Asquith. Created using over 100 different titles from the BFI National Archive (including footage from Mitchell & Kenyon, Topical Budget, COI and British Council), it shows a Century of the Bicycle on film, from the invention of the modern bike to the gruelling pursuit of Le Tour, all set to dreamy electronic music by Bill Nelson. Velorama will take you on an unmissable two-wheeled journey.

For this original soundtrack Bill will form collaborations with young Yorkshire musicians. Produced by Crossover, who complete a trilogy after the much-loved From The Sea To The Land Beyond (British Sea Power’s lyrical meditation on a century of the British Coast) and The Big Melt.