MoviePass

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism both old and new, as well as memorializing public figures we've lost.
senseabove

Re: MoviePass

#501 Post by senseabove » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:02 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:02 am
No. The AMC one seems pretty appealing if they keep it going (or haven't gotten rid of it already), but this is a pretty dead time for going to the multiplex, the ability to use MoviePass anywhere is what made it most appealing.

If we move into the city limits proper and have an easy transportation method to the Landmark theaters, I might circle around and see what desperate monthly offer MoviePass is making. Because I'm assuming they're still full steam ahead with Landmark, at least? No missed showtimes or shady antics?
Nope, the Landmark e-Ticketing deal was cancelled shortly after the Cohen takeover, and I cancelled the next day. But they now have a new tiered, regionalized plan system (i.e. cityfolk pay more), at least one tier of which supposedly lifts the restrictions on movie selection, but I haven't paid close enough attention to know if it actually works out like that.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#502 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:15 pm

Thanks for letting me know! All interest in MoviePass is now officially gone.

hearthesilence

#503 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:27 pm

MongooseCmr wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:00 am
I cancelled after the summer, but my girlfriend got a year subscription in April, and in September they stopped asking for ticket verifications on it. I just check in to something else and see what I want three times a month. The funny thing is it works more consistently now than it ever did while it was popular.
This is why I held on to mine, though my year-long subscription ended late last year. No ticket verification (as well as a lot of accepted venues within walking distance of each other) cancelled out their "selection" restrictions - I just checked into any movie that was available on the app and then used their credit card for whatever I wanted to see. The only drag was the three-film limit.

I was tempted to sign up again, but I didn't want them to draw an annual membership fee straight from my checking account, especially if they were going to go belly-up long before the year was up. It's just as well, my MoMA and Lincoln Center memberships pretty much have me covered anyway.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#504 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:48 pm

CSM126

#505 Post by CSM126 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:44 pm

I’m so done with these people. Or I would be if they hadn’t conveniently hidden the cancel account button in the app. The automated help chat is, shock of all shocks, no help either. They haven’t offered one damn film in my area for months, either. Just rotten.

Self

#506 Post by Self » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm