New Films in Production

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Fletch F. Fletch

#101 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:53 pm

From the Australian:
Another chance for Rusty and Nic to co-star
Sophie Tedmanson
November 25, 2005

EUCALYPTUS may have fallen over, but Russell Crowe and Nicole Kidman will team up again for a new Australian movie directed by Baz Luhrmann.

Crowe confirmed the casting ahead of his role hosting this weekend's Australian Film Institute awards in Melbourne.

The film is rumoured to be a Gone With The Wind-style Australian epic and Luhrmann is believed to have already scouted locations, including a cattle station south of Darwin and properties near the town of Cootamundra, in central NSW.

Crowe would not say much about the film except that it was "magnificent", that it would be financed by Fox and that it would not be shot in Victoria.

When asked if he and Kidman's characters would be romantically involved, Crowe smiled and said: "Could be."

Luhrmann was not available for comment yesterday, but in September he told The Australian he was close to deciding which of three film projects he was working on would become his follow-up to Moulin Rouge.

A spokeswoman for Luhrmann said he was working on "three epics": Alexander the Great, "the Australian epic and the European epic".

"At the moment, he is working on the Australian and European epics in parallel," she said.

"He would be delighted if Russell and Nicole were to be involved in the Australian epic."

Crowe and Kidman, who are close friends but have never made a movie together, were last set to star in the film version of Murray Bail's Australian novel Eucalyptus, which was postponed indefinitely days before shooting was to begin in February.

Kidman is currently in the US filming the horror movie The Visiting, while Crowe has returned from filming Ridley Scott's A Good Year in Europe for his first gig as host of an awards ceremony.
From Moviehole.net:
It's not Depp, Believe It or Not!
Posted by Clint Morris on November 29, 2005

Dean Cain won't be happy. Jim Carrey is set to star in the ‘Ripley's Believe it or Not' movie. Well, it's based on the chap that created the show anyway - Robert Ripley, the explorer and newspaper columnist, that the film will backstory.

Another coup for the film? Tim Burton will be directing. Now that seems to be a better match than socks and shoes.

According to Variety, it was Burton who suggested Carrey play the lead role in the movie, which will tell of Ripley's attained celebrity status through the ‘Believe it or Not' column, and the man's ongoing hunts for the odd and wild.

Lino

#102 Post by Lino » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:35 am

This is probably old news for some but I've just found out that Haute Tension director's, Alexandre Aja is going to be doing a remake of Wes Craven's The Hills have Eyes and I for one can't wait to see it!

Out March, 2006!

Fletch F. Fletch

#103 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:53 pm

Annie Mall wrote:This is probably old news for some but I've just found out that Haute Tension director's, Alexandre Aja is going to be doing a remake of Wes Craven's The Hills have Eyes and I for one can't wait to see it!
You might want to wait for the DVD;

From Empire:
Craven Says Hills Remake ‘Very Intense&#
Exclusive: Movie given NC-17 for now...

If you thought that Wes Craven's 1977 horror classic The Hills Have Eyes, in which a suburban family are terrorised in the desert by a family of inbred mutants, was too intense and disturbing, then prepare yourself for the forthcoming remake – because you ain't seen nothing yet.

Says who? Well, Craven himself, who's producing the new movie, directed this time by Switchblade Romance helmer, Alexandre Aja. At the moment, the new Hills – starring Aaron Stanford, Kathleen Quinlan and Ted Levine – is so intense and gory that the American ratings board, the MPAA, have given it the dreaded NC-17, aka commercial suicide.

“It's a very strong picture and we're trying to figure out what to do with that, without ruining it,â€

solaris72

#104 Post by solaris72 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:01 pm

Goro Miyazaki, son of Hayao Miyazaki, will be directing an animated adaptation of Ursula K. Leguin's A Wizard of Earthsea for Studio Ghibli.

If nothing else, this will be better than the SciFi channel abortion that Leguin disowned. I just wish that Michael Powell had been able to make his planned adaptation of the Earthsea trilogy.

And there appears to be a poster for this new film on the Studio Ghibli official website.

kinjitsu

#105 Post by kinjitsu » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:55 pm

Kirkinson

#106 Post by Kirkinson » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:29 pm

Old news that I only just became familiar with....

I was sure I had read somewhere that Otar Iosseliani said Lundi matin would be his last film, but it looks like either I or the source of that quote was mistaken (or he just changed his mind). He has a new one coming out presumably some time this year called Jardins en automne ("Gardens in Autumn"). The only information I've been able to find about it is that it stars Michel Piccoli as an old woman.

This interview with Piccoli from Cahiers, recorded in November, suggests that the film is now being edited. I suppose it might be finished by now. (The portion of the interview dealing with the Iosseliani film is under the heading "Farce".)

che-etienne

#107 Post by che-etienne » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:27 am

Chances are this has already been mentioned since I found out about it on imdb, but I just pulled up "Goya's Ghosts", Milos Forman's first film in I guess six years. He's reteaming with Jean-Claude Carriere, who wrote many of Bunuel's films as I'm sure people know. The film will star Stellan Skarsgard as Goya himself, and Natalie Portman will be in it as well. Looks to be interesting.

Fletch F. Fletch

#108 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:16 am

From LatinoReview.com:
There Will Be Blood For Anderson!
Date: January 18, 2006

By: Kellvin Chavez
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Writer-director Paul Thomas Anderson is in advanced talks to produce and direct "There Will Be Blood," starring Daniel Day-Lewis as a turn-of-the-century Texas oil prospector in the early days of the oil business, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The sprawling period piece, which Anderson has spent several years writing, is loosely adapted from Upton Sinclair's 1927 novel "Oil!" Budgeted at more than $25 million, "Blood" will be jointly financed and distributed by Paramount's specialty films division and Miramax Films, according to Paramount specialty division president John Lesher.

"It's an ambitious film and a compelling, relevant story about family, greed, religion and oil," Lesher said. "Paul is an incredible talent, exactly the kind of filmmaker the new division wants to be in business with." Former Paramount power producer Scott Rudin, who has shifted his base of operations to Disney, where he struck a new deal last year, was instrumental in bringing in Disney subsidiary Miramax, led by president Daniel Battsek, as a 50/50 partner on "Blood." Paramount will handle domestic distribution, and Miramax will release the film in foreign territories, which could yield the lion's share of the final gross.

Dylan

#109 Post by Dylan » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:28 am

According to the IMDB, Alfonso Arau (not such a talent in my book) is working on a new film and legendary cinematographer Vittorio Storaro is on board. It's called "El Día que me quieras."

Tagline:
His Voice enchanted the world. Discover the man behind the myth and the love story that changed music forever-- the story of Carlos Gardel.
Principal photograpahy starts September 2006

Sounds like it will be Arau's best film (though I haven't seen "Like Water for Chocolate"). I've seen "Picking Up the Pieces," which is an exceptionally awful comedy, the trailer for his last film "Zapata" (2004, unreleased outside of Mexico) which amazingly looks even worse (though Vittorio Storaro sadly spent a very long time designing it), and "A Walk in the Clouds," a trite and predictable chick flick, but much better than the other two.

It's bitter-sweet Storaro is on this. It's mildly sweet because it's good to hear about him working on anything these days (as I always fear that his latest will be his last). Bitter because I wish more interesting filmmakers were taking advantage of his immense talents while he's still willing (and able) to work.

Dylan

leo goldsmith

#110 Post by leo goldsmith » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:41 pm

Sounds like Storaro's still a big fan of the tango.

I'm pretty sick of biopics, but a film about Gardel could be pretty cool.

Fletch F. Fletch

#111 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:15 pm

This has potential!
LEE EYES DON QUIXOTE ROLE

Veteran movie star CHRISTOPHER LEE is desperate to land the role of literary hero DON QUIXOTE in TERRY GILLIAM's forthcoming film.

Lee, 83, has been linked with the title role in THE MAN WHO KILLED DON QUIXOTE, which was shelved in 2000 when soaring costs prompted investors to withdraw all funding.

He says, "I want to play Don Quixote. I'm the right age - between 70 and 90!"

JOHNNY DEPP is already confirmed to appear.
The first pic of Benicio Del Toro as Che Guevara for Steven Soderbergh's biopic.

Lino

#112 Post by Lino » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:12 am

Now, this is what I call teasing...!

Fletch F. Fletch

#113 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:29 pm

From Latino Review:
Tommy Lee Jones is in negotiations to star. Jones will play contemporary Westerner Llewelyn Moss, an antelope hunter who discovers a pile of dead men along with $2 million and a sizable stash of heroin. Violence ensues when Moss decides to play finders keepers. Heath Ledger had been in talks to co-star, but the actor, who withdrew his interest in the project, has said he plans to take "some time off."
From Dark Horizons:
The Coen Brothers Have "No Country"
Posted: Wednesday February 1st, 2006 2:14am
Source: Production Weekly
Author: Garth Franklin

Acclaimed filmmakers Joel and Ethan Coen ("The Big Lebowski", "Fargo") are set to direct the big screen adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's bloody West Texas noir thriller "No Country for Old Men" reports Production Weekly.

The film follows Llewelyn Moss, a husband out hunting near the Rio Grande who comes across a drug deal gone sour - leaving behind a cache of heroin, two million dollars and several bodies. When two more men end up murdered, the local Sheriff comes to realise Moss and his wife need protection.

Things turn dangerous when various men, ranging from ruthless freelancers to ex-Special Forces members turn up to find out the truth and destroy all evidence.

Production is scheduled to begin May on location in Texas and New Mexico.

Titus

#114 Post by Titus » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:48 pm

I thought the Brothers Coen were going to film HAIL CAESAR first--have they shelfed that for later?

It's just as well, I've been itching for them to return to more dramatic territory.

Dylan

#115 Post by Dylan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:53 pm

"Adina" directed by Nicolas Roeg and starring Neve Campbell and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers has officially entered pre-production.
From production company Burnt Danish:

Adina (Neve Campbell) is a young advertising executive in New York City. Working in a culture obsessed with youth, sex and beauty, Adina is oddly out of place. Although attractive, she plays down her looks and doesn't socialize beyond the office.
Jason (Jonathan Rhys-Meyers) is watching Adina. He needs something from her. Charming and elegant, he seduces women with ease. Sex with Jason is transcendental. His partners are consumed by a supernatural force that causes their bodies to merge and intermingle with his body during sex. As their flesh ages and disintegrates, Jason is replenished.
At her emotional nadir, Adina succumbs to a desperate one-night-stand with a co-worker. Her lover's body disintegrates and disappears. She is horrified, but not surprised. This has happened before, though she has no idea why.

A philosophical horror film about a new race of immortals who depend on sex to maintain their youth. It explores the idea that there is no linear time -- no yesterday, today or tomorrow. Everything that ever has happened or ever will happen is happening right now - simultaneously. It explores the nature of love and life in ways not possible from a merely human perspective. Chillingly erotic, heartbreakingly real, it is about a woman in existential crisis.
Wow! Personally, I think it sounds like a masterpiece at work (and I'm very happy about the casting of Rhys-Meyers in particular). I can't wait to see this.

Dylan

David Ehrenstein

#116 Post by David Ehrenstein » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:12 pm

Very excited to hear about the new Roeg as well. Neve Campbell is underrated. I was quite taken with her in Altman's (equally underrated) The Company.

Oh forget how right he is for the part. Christopher Lee just wants to work with Johnny Depp again. And who wouldn't?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#117 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:26 pm

Filming of Ann Hui's "The Aunt's Postmodern Life" has been completed.

(Stars Chow Yun Fat, Siqin Gaowa and (Vicky) ZHAO Wei)

Dylan

#118 Post by Dylan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:35 pm

From De Palma ala mod:

Screen Daily has news from the Berlin Film Festival that casting has now been completed on Douglas Buck's remake of Brian De Palma's Sisters. Asia Argento is no longer involved in the project. Argento had been cast to play the twin sisters of the title (played by Margot Kidder in the original), but that role has now gone to French actress Anna Mouglalis. Chloe Sevigny will play the part of the reporter originally played by Jennifer Salt, and Stephan Rea will play the psychiatrist originally made creepy by William Finley in De Palma's film. Ed Pressman, who produced the De Palma original, and is also producing the new version, told Screen Daily, "We couldn't be happier with the globally prestigious cast we have assembled for Sisters. Sisters is a sophisticated, complex film and the same could be said for our outstanding ensemble." The article also states that "Ed Dzubak will score the picture in homage to Bernard Herrmann who scored the original." Filming is to begin March 13 in Vancouver.

Who is Ed Dzubak, he isn't even on IMDB? But I look forward to every "homage to Herrmann" score so it should be good. I may see this, the possibilities for a re-telling of "Sisters" actually intrigues me, even though I'm anything but a remake supporter.

Dylan

Barmy

#119 Post by Barmy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:12 pm

From Variety:

Bertolucci sings 'Bel Canto'
Helmer also penning script; cast not yet determined

By NICK VIVARELLI

Bernardo Bertolucci is returning to the director's chair to helmhelm "Bel Canto," a terrorism-themed tale set in an imaginary country in South America, based on U.S. writer Ann Patchett's eponymous novel.

Jeremy Thomas is developing the project with New York-based producer Caroline Baron ("Capote"), who brought Thomas rights to the Pen/Faulkner award-winning book.

Casting is still undetermined for "Canto," which has not been offered to distributors.

Thomas said Italy's Medusa -- which has released Bertolucci's recent titles locally -- is as yet not on board.

Bertolucci is penning the script for "Canto."

In the book, a guerilla group enters a South American politician's villa via the airducts during a party while a famous soprano is singing, and take everyone hostage.

FilmFanSea

#120 Post by FilmFanSea » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Singer Norah Jones To Make Movie Debut In Wong Kar-wai Drama

Latest info on next WKW film:

* Working title: My Blueberry Nights
* Only 'actor' signed so far: Norah Jones (who is to make her film debut)
* Storyline will not be related to Hurricaine Katrina
* New York will not double for New Orleans
* No mention of Adrien Brody

Stay tuned ...

Fletch F. Fletch

#121 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:21 pm

A New York Times set visit for the upcoming Edie Sedgwick biopic, Factory Girl.

From Yahoo! News:
Oliver Stone says September 11 movie not political

BANGKOK (AFP) - Director
Oliver Stone says he doesn't know if America is ready for his upcoming film about the September 11 terror attacks, but stresses the movie is a human rather than political account of the tragedy.

The often controversial three-times Oscar-winner said "World Trade Center", to be released this year around the fifth anniversary of the attacks, documented a day in the life of two men trapped at the scene, their rescuers and families.

Speaking to an audience during a question and answer session late Monday at the Bangkok International Film Festival, Stone was asked if Americans were ready for the first major Hollywood film on the subject.

"Is America ready for 9/11? Is America ready for gay sex? I don't know," Stone told the audience, referring to Ang Lee's Oscar-nominated cowboy film "Brokeback Mountain" which has been a surprise hit in US cinemas.

"It's about a rescue and families involved in the rescue. It's really a technical attempt to be realistic about what happened in that building," he said.

Oscar-winning actor Nicolas Cage plays the film's lead role, New York Port Authority policeman Sergeant John McLoughlin, who was trapped along with a fellow officer in the mangled wreckage of one of the twin towers that crumbled after being hit by hijacked passenger jets.

Besides the sensitivity of the subject matter to the American public, industry media have reported that some people linked to the Paramount Pictures project were concerned that Stone may introduce his own politics into the movie.

Stone has been publicly critical of US President George W. Bush's handling of the attacks and their aftermath and in Bangkok told the audience that "the present administration has been a nightmare".

But Stone, whose film "JFK" was condemned in some quarters for pushing the argument that the 1963 assassination of president John F. Kennedy was part of a plot, said there were no conspiracy theories in "World Trade Center".

"No, there's no mention of that because it's truly a 24-hour document of these men's lives," he said.

"They were right at the heart of the destruction ... right in the middle by an elevator shaft. They survived. It's about their rescue and their children at home," Stone added.

Stone said filming had finished two weeks ago, with the last four weeks proving difficult to work in as the set was filled with smoke.

But Stone, who won best director Academy Awards for his war epics "Born On the Fourth Of July" (1989) and "Platoon" (1986) as well as best screenplay for prison drama "Midnight Express" (1978), said making the film had humbled him.

"It was a wonderful experience to go back to working class people and their ordinary lives, the cops and firemen in New York. It was a very humbling experience," he said.

Stone, whose films have aroused controversy ever since "JFK", said the political landscape had changed "radically" under the Bush administration.

"If we get to make films and plays about it, it will be an interesting era to write about," he said.

The September 11 attacks that left a total of around 3,000 people dead in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.
CULTURE: Ghostworld's Daniel Clowes Teams up with Michel Gondry. Awkward Filmic Moments to Ensue.

THURSDAY FEBRUARY 16 2006 9:56 AM
SUBMITTED BY: AUREN EDITED BY: AUREN

SG's very own Daniel Robert Epstein spoke this morning with acclaimed filmmaker Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) and got a juicy tidbit about his upcoming film, Master of Space and Time, based on the novel by Rudy Rucker and set to star Jack Black.

According to Gondry, Daniel Clowes, the master behind such screenplays and graphic novels as Ghost World and Eightball, will pen the script.
Daniel Day Lewis dishes on Paul Thomas Anderson's new movie:
Daniel Day-Lewis exclusive
profile Chris Tilly | Mar 13 2006

Time Out recently caught up with Daniel Day-Lewis, and as well as discussing new film 'The Ballad of Jack and Rose', the actor also spilled the beans about 'There Will Be Blood', his forthcoming collaboration with Paul Thomas Anderson (first reported on here).

'It's set at the end of the 19th Century and it's centred on the life of an independent wildcat oil driller' he explained. 'Standard Oil and Union Oil basically had all the territories bought and paid for, but there were wildcatters who were discovering wells all over that part of the country.

'They were almost always finally broken by the companies because they controlled the railways – at the time there were no pipelines to the coast so they controlled the price of shipping barrels of oil. Wildcatters could get three or four wells gushing at 1,000 barrels a day but they couldn't transport it.'

Day-Lewis will play the central character, who is loosely based on Edward Doheny, a wildcatter who ended up fighting the monopolies in court.

However, although the script is based on the 1920s novel 'Oil' by Upton Sinclair, the actor says it's misleading to call it an adaptation. 'Paul has made something so entirely original out of it that the connection is almost unrecognisable.

'It's an astonishing piece of work as it is on the page, and we've just got to try and make some sense of that. It's not a big budget film, but it's a big film. A big story.'

'There Will Be Blood' is set to start shooting this summer.

Jem

#122 Post by Jem » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:31 pm

Images of Scorsese and Matt Damon on the set of The Departed. (Great cast!)

Cinesimilitude

#123 Post by Cinesimilitude » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:26 pm

It seems the American re-make of Hard Boiled will star Chow-Yun Fat in his greatest role again, opposite a not yet cast American, and will be directed by Johnnie To.

stroszeck

#124 Post by stroszeck » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:08 pm

Here's a strange one I read in ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY at my dentist's office:

"The 1975 cult documentary Grey Gardens is hitting the mainstream. Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange start shooting a film inspired by the doc, playing the two eccentric cat-loving Jackie Kennedy relatives who are deteriorating in a putrid Hamptons manse. Says Lange "When you look at that documentary, you sort of wonder, 'what am I stepping into?' But it'll be fun."

YIKES all around?!

The Fanciful Norwegian

#125 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:13 pm

SncDthMnky wrote:It seems the American re-make of Hard Boiled will star Chow-Yun Fat in his greatest role again, opposite a not yet cast American, and will be directed by Johnnie To.
Or will it?