Genèse (Philippe Lesage, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
therewillbeblus

Genèse (Philippe Lesage, 2019)

#1 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:02 pm

zedz wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:03 pm
Genesis (Philippe Lesage) – Like the director’s previous Les Démons, this is a scarily perceptive study of the perils and joys of youth. What he does at the end of the film is so audacious that I can’t even talk obliquely about it without spoiling it, and I can’t even think about it without smiling.
This film left me paralyzed. Lesage draws such an excellent portrait of a variety of youth grappling with identity, ideas of freedoms, and first loves that is pure emotion in eliciting our own histories as a vital part to the film's digestion. I particularly liked the attentive eye to the developmental stage of coming to terms with one's own age-appropriate egotism and how that impacts emerging adults on an existential level. The ideas of freedom exist exactly where they're meant to, in a place of impulsive gut-feelings in action rather than clear logic. If a character wonders whether they should try new experiences when looking at their future as an overwhelming enigma of possibilities, they initiate that conversation, and the consequences of these are learning experiences of emotion and growth best left to the incredible exposition of emotional expression and movement through space rather than big speeches or profound 'a-ha' realizations.

The soundtrack is perfect at coating meditative moments with the music that adds significance to our emotions, and transcends the idea of soundtrack as artifice. When Noée Abita takes the train to see her boyfriend as serene music blasts I was reminded of all the train and bus rides I took for the same reasons in my youth, and how listening to music was the best self-medication for catharsis; when she dances at clubs I was also reminded of those fleeting moments of bliss that one wants to immortalize but are best left to soaking up the moment and then letting go; and when the song kicks on after a tender farewell, well, we know that she'll be blasting this song into her ears for hours while reflecting on that memory- and perhaps this is that, a celebration of all the memories we have for moments and our own process of returning to memories like this.

These youths cope with rejection and disappointing returns on expectations with internalized performances the way people really do. There is an innate resilience people issue that is often overlooked whether in film or in real life by ourselves, but Lesage captures these strengths without resorting to even slight exploitation. If anything, he softens the tone so much that we lose our own expectations and calmly join with these characters as they traverse their own internal and social terrains.

Regarding the ending:
SpoilerShow
When the story transitioned to the new character (well, I haven't seen Les Démons yet) Felix, I was intrigued to get another summer of blossoming love. When Felix and his love interest, Sandrine, and her friend Beatrice, approach the director(?) in the dark, who tells them where to stand and what to do, I had to rewind to make sure I didn't hallucinate, and then it happened again. And then we get the actual ending, where they must part ways on the last day of camp. All great things must come to an end... until we see Sandrine and Beatrice walk into the woods. Beatrice turns around, smiles at who (or what) she sees, and runs back to chase down her friend.

Who does she see.. Felix? The filmmaker? The camera following their continued existence, thereby validating it? I love the idea that it's Felix, refusing to settle for an on-screen goodbye, hanging onto their story together for a moment longer; or it could be us, watching and acknowledging the very real connection we feel, thereby joining with Sandrine's pain in an empathic harmony while silently telling her it will all be okay.

I also love the idea that the filmmaker serves as a god here, telling them what to do (seemingly intruding on the natural air of the earlier scenes) as a conscience -perhaps representing the internal anxious voices youth experience that prevent culmination of affection, only to then refuse to abandon them, signaling that there is no ending or escape from life - that they will continue to breathe, love, exist, and experience after this chapter ends. The director/conscience is still with them to guide, but isn't speaking, allowing the process to exist in an empowered Sandrine, trusting her without abandoning her. How liberating this is. It could also be as broad as the ability to look back on the past with a smile, as experience and our memories are what have shaped us, and are our most precious possessions, our reasons for living. The existential embrace of gratitude.
After the film ended I rewatched the last act again and could not hold back the tears of my own nostalgic self-consciousness at summer camp turning into confidence and empowerment to participate in life. Has there been a more perfect ending? I'm curious on your reading, zedz.

I loved this movie, which scratches my itch for authentic films about youth - a subgenre that is among my favorites, if not my favorite and this is one of the best in recent memory. Thanks zedz, I never would have found this without your praise! Hopefully more people check this one out, especially given how many members seem to adore films like this too.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: The Films of 2019

#2 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:30 pm

Ok, so you definitely need to see Les Démons

zedz

#3 Post by zedz » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:08 pm

swo17 wrote:Ok, so you definitely need to see Les Démons
Definitely. If you loved the film already. . .

therewillbeblus

#4 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:43 pm

Well I've now seen Les Démons and yes, it makes this film so much more gratifying, considering
SpoilerShow
not only did Felix turn out 'okay,' but his growth is a transposition of his younger self. Felix as a boy is debilitated by fear and anxiety, fantasizing about the horrors of impenetrable knowledge in the most frightening ubiquitous mystery in our lives: other people. But as an emerging adolescent, he is able to overcome this distrust and risk connection with another person, not to mention connect with peers on a lighter level, asking for their advice, collaborating on music, etc. which speaks volumes to his resilience and willingness to strive for increased comfortability in his own skin. Again, I can't describe how this transformation makes both films together, but especially the later, somehow even more personal than it already was.
I would write up my thoughts on Les Démons but zedz already perfected that:
zedz wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:58 pm
Les Démons (Philippe Lesage) – Commanding first fiction feature from Canada. Stylistically it flips between ominous formalism (long, slow lateral tracks back and forth, 360° pans, very slow zooms) and busy Pialat intimacy (including one of the most shocking and convincing family rows I’ve ever seen in a non-Pialat film). It all revolves around a very young protagonist navigating a world of random adult hostility, parental betrayal, casual cruelty (his own), burgeoning, and confusingly contradictory, sexuality, and the bewildering chaos of real world horror, with young Felix understandably unsure about what threats are exaggerated and which are real. It’s mesmerizing and extremely tense, though nothing really plays out as you expect, dramatically – which is not to say that there aren’t several major dramatic payoffs. There’s an unusual and assured use of music, with the heavy, dread-inducing score playing over scenes that seem completely innocuous (but which get tied in with other scenes featuring the same score much later on in the film), and with Miriam Makeba’s insanely joyous ‘Pata Pata’ successfully dispelling a feeling of dread in other scenes. In the long run, the film is in some respects a competition between which music will prevail. A really terrific, mature and complex work that marks the emergence of a major talent. I suppose Haneke is the obvious contemporary reference point, but I found this film a lot more tonally supple and fruitfully complicated than most of his work.
More thoughts now regarding the end of Genesis (spoilers for both films):
SpoilerShow
If we are to allow the identity and non-subjectively-Felix scenes of the killer to be ambiguously manifestations of his worried fantasies, then could the 'director's' voice/intrusion be a similar artifice emulating his internal anxious emotional protective part of his psyche, developed from jarring inescapable daydreams to momentary instinctual blockages to uninhibited confidence?

I'm also curious to how people read the end of Les Démons.. do you take the lifeguard-as-killer at face value, or can his suicide also serve as an allegory for the fantasy dying, as Felix becomes liberated from his excessive fears? The relationship with the teacher/counselor who singles Felix out feels too coincidental not to allow for this interpretation.