A Monster Calls (Juan Antonio Bayona, 2016)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Movie-Brat

A Monster Calls (Juan Antonio Bayona, 2016)

#1 Post by Movie-Brat » Thu May 08, 2014 5:54 pm

Liam Neeson to literally play a monster in A Monster Calls.

I'm sold on this. Not because of Liam Neeson as a monster but that is cool in of itself but I think this project has a lot of potential given the premise.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: A Monster Calls (Juan Antonio Bayona, 2016)

#2 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:22 pm

captveg

#3 Post by captveg » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:27 pm

Hell, the latest trailer gets to me. But then I'm a sucker for stories that deal with
SpoilerShow
a kid losing their parent

GaryC

#4 Post by GaryC » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:38 pm

domino harvey wrote:Apparently this one is earning the oft-employed designation of "tear-jerker" at TIFF, as every critical notice mentions audiences crying
If it's anything like the novel (by Patrick Ness, from an outline left behind by the late Siobhan Dowd) then it will be.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#5 Post by cdnchris » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:39 pm

I took my kids to Kubo and this trailer played before it. They were really taken by it so chances are I'll be seeing it.

Lost Highway

#6 Post by Lost Highway » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:41 am

I approached this with caution and yes, it’s sentimental and manipulative but it really got me. Best Guillermo Del Toro movie of the year !

Loved the animated sequences for the stories being told. I’ve pretty much come to avoid most modern CG animation features because with their cutesy look and cliched poses and facial expressions, they all look the same to me. This demonstrates how there could be animation features which look very different.

I can see why this flopped badly. To adults this looks like a kids movie but I could see many children ending up traumatised by how dark and incredibly sad the movie is. Then again, that’s why I liked it.

The only thing that lets the film down is a terribly miscast Sigourney Weaver, mangling a British accent.