Everything Everywhere All at Once (Daniels, 2022)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Noiretirc

Re: Everything Everywhere All at Once (Daniels, 2022)

#76 Post by Noiretirc » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:15 pm

A lot was lost on me on my initial viewing, but my 14 year old filled me in! And we both adored the film, even more so on re-viewings.

The 2001-Apes with hot-dog fingers might be the funniest thing I have ever seen. There's a lot of Lynch in this thing also.

Both Brody and Bradshaw hate this, huh? That makes me sad. I'm 61 you see. Will I be alienated by films made by young people soon?

Finch

#77 Post by Finch » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:52 pm

Bradshaw is as middle brow a critic as you can get. If he hates a film i'm almost invariably more interested in it. Bradshaw replacing Derek Malcolm as the Guardian film critic was one of the first signs of the long decline of a once good newspaper. It got worse under Alan Rusbridger and now under Katharine Viner it's almost completely terrible, apart from the political sketches by John Crace and the occasional George Monbiot column.

The magic of EEATO faded just a little for me on a second viewing but I still find a lot to enjoy in it and it still left me feeling upbeat and smiling by the end. As a Lynch fan I found the hostility from some other DL fans towards this film baffling. The Daniels throw in a blink it and you'll miss it reference and some people went, oh brother yet someone else trying to be like Lynch. I thought if you want to make that sort of criticism then the makers of that Psych episode referencing Twin Peaks tirelessly and to tiring effect are more deserving targets than the Daniels.

Roger Ryan

#78 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:58 am

Finch wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:52 pm
...The Daniels throw in a blink... and you'll miss it [Lynch] reference...
I must have blinked during my one viewing of this film - could you clue me in?

yoloswegmaster

#79 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:11 am

It happens when Michelle Yeoh's character is universe jumping and we quickly see her appear in the Red Room from Twin Peaks.

Roger Ryan

#80 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:19 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:11 am
It happens when Michelle Yeoh's character is universe jumping and we quickly see her appear in the Red Room from Twin Peaks.
Ah right - I do remember that. Just a cute throwaway gag; nothing to suggest the aping of a style... but I guess that was Finch's point. Thanks.

hearthesilence

#81 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:19 pm

Re: Brody, I didn't realize his original review was so negative but since then he's kind of softened his criticism over this film, tweeting on Oscar night that "again very happy for Michelle Yeoh, and I'm looking forward to the roles and movies that will result from her win" and later "at least EEAAO and not All Quiet [for Best Picture]" (his earlier tweet "Sheesh. All Quiet except for Bwahhh bwahhh bwahhh" is a hilarious dig at the three note tune that's already been mentioned in the awards thread). Finally, when he volunteered his own Oscar ballot (which is ranked voting), he said:

1. Women Talking
2.-5. Elvis, EEAAO, Fabelmans, Tár, in alphabetical order, for unusualness and trying
6. Avatar, for being something
7.-10. alpha All Quiet, Banshees, Top Gun, Triangle, for nullity

I had mixed feelings - I already said there was a lot of silliness that wasn't to my taste and I think Brody echoed that sentiment when he wrote about "the arbitrary and sophomoric whimsy that runs through the film and governs its plot and tone." In retrospect, I want to say it was a promising first step towards the kind of movies I want to see being made in terms of the subject matter explored and the support and reception they receive - it's a very welcome commercial achievement even if it falls short in a lot ways.

Noiretirc

#82 Post by Noiretirc » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:01 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:11 am
Ha! I'm embarrassed to admit that I missed this! In my previous post I was alluding to the Lynchiness of the overall experience of this film, vice any specific reference.

Finch

#83 Post by Finch » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:01 pm

I also missed it on first viewing which is why I found the Lynch rip off comments so ridiculous for such a brief reference.

colinr0380

#84 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:52 pm

I still have not seen this film as yet but it would be amazing if Yeoh had been holding a can of Georgia coffee.