Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
FrauBlucher

Re: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)

#51 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:49 pm

Simple but concise. That's pretty much why he tried to stop the erasing

Monterey Jack

#52 Post by Monterey Jack » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:07 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:49 pm
Simple but concise. That's pretty much why he tried to stop the erasing
It's akin to the one good scene in Star Trek V, where Sybok offers to remove Bones' painful memories of his inability to save his ailing father, and Bones refuses, saying, "I need my pain!" Memories - good and bad - are what makes us what we are, and scrubbing painful memories from your mind will only lead you to repeat mistakes from the past, which is illustrated by Kirsten Dunst's character once again making a move on Tom WIlkinson.

hearthesilence

#53 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:49 pm

Belatedly saw a link that went to this quote by someone at Kino Lorber re: their current Blu-ray and UHD release - posting it just to preserve it here:
Ellen Kuras arranged a private screening at the Academy for us to screen her 35mm show print prior to grading Eternal Sunshine. It’s worth noting that the intended print format is Fuji Eterna-CP 3513 DI. Ellen specifically chose this print stock for its cooler characteristics compared to Kodak stock. Unfortunately Peter Jackson had Fuji change the chemistry of this stock for the Lord of the Rings films, so Ellen had E-Film set aside enough print stock to strike premiere prints on Fuji, while release prints for the general release were struck on Kodak. Viewing her show print was a revelation, with a distinct yellow highlights/cyan shadows color palette. Some of this cyan push is lost in the DVD and prior BluRay transfers but is more accurately emulated here. I encourage anyone in the Los Angeles area to keep an eye out for Academy screenings in the future, as the same print would be screened.

FotoKem transferred the 35mm DI negative in 16 bit 4K resolution on a DFT Scanity. It’s shocking that Focus Features never provided Universal with a copy of the 4K DI files, and only provided the 35mm DI negative as a primary archival source. Universal does have the original negative trims but they are spread out in multiple boxes and it would involve a huge undertaking to create an OCN rebuild for the ~1300 shots in the feature, many of which have visual effects and would need to be sourced from the DI negative. I figure someday Universal may go back and do an OCN rebuild but it won’t be anytime soon. It was certainly cost prohibitive for a boutique label to take on that kind of work.