(Richard Loncraine, 1982)
Release date: 24 June 2019
Limited Blu-ray Edition (World Blu-ray premiere)
Monty Python alumnus Michael Palin writes and stars in this ribald comedy of sex and sensibility. Timid Reverend Charles Fortescue returns to London in 1906 after ten years of service in Africa to start a mission to save the fallen women of Soho. But his dedication to tending to the needs of those in his care soon meets with the disapproval of the church and his patron.
Directed by Richard Loncraine (Richard III, Bellman & True), The Missionary is a charming and beautifully detailed comedy which boasts a superb supporting cast that includes Maggie Smith, Trevor Howard, Denholm Elliott, Michael Hordern, Graham Crowden and Neil Innes.
This world Blu-ray premiere edition boasts a stunning new 2K restoration from the original negatives, supervised and approved by cinematographer Peter Hannan and director Richard Loncraine, finally enabling the film to be seen in its original 2.35:1 theatrical aspect ratio for the first time ever on any home video format.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:
• New 2K restoration by Powerhouse Films from the original negative, supervised and approved by cinematographer Peter Hannan and director Richard Loncraine
• Original stereo audio
• Audio commentary with director Richard Loncraine (2019)
• Making the Missionary (2019): featuring new and exclusive interviews with stars Michael Palin and Maggie Smith
• Interview with Shuna Harwood (2019): new interview with the costume designer
• Interview with Mike Moran (2019): the film’s composer discusses his collaborations with HandMade Films
• Interview with Ken Lintott (2019): new interview with the make-up artist
• Interview with Tony Jackson (2019): new interview with the sound recordist
• Rob Deering on ‘The Missionary’ (2019): an appreciation by the comedian, musician and writer
• Theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by John Oliver, extracts from Michael Palin’s diaries on the film’s location shooting, archival interviews with Palin, an overview of contemporary critical responses, archival articles, and film credits
• First ever home video presentation in the film's original 2.35:1 theatrical aspect ratio
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 5,000 copies
• All extras subject to change
BBFC cert: 15
Discuss Blu-rays released by Indicator and the films on them.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- domino harvey
- Dot Com Dom
- Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm
- Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:35 pm
Update from Indicator on Twitter:
We are sorry to announce that, owing to continued restoration work on The Missionary, we are having to move back the release date to 19 August 2019.
As you can see from the image below, there is extensive clean-up work to be performed throughout the film, and this is more challenging and time-consuming than we initially bargained for.
Anyone who has ordered the June bundle will receive the other three title as usual, and The Missionary will follow once finished stock is ready.
Once again, we apologise for the delay. But are confident you’ll find it worth the wait!