112 Age of Consent

Discuss Blu-rays released by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Calvin

Re: 112 Age of Consent

#26 Post by Calvin » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:02 am

The Boy Who Turned Yellow had a lot of things going in its favour to be included - readily available HD restoration, rights with the BFI, length, and, other than Return to the Edge of the World, it is also the only film that comes after Age of Consent in Powell's filmography.

Bluebeard's Castle was restored in 4K a few years ago by the BFI and the Film Foundation. I assume that there's still a rights issue with the Bartok Estate that's holding up a wider release.

Given that they own a few (though ITV own the more interesting sounding ones), I'm surprised that the BFI has never released an Early Powell set. I'm not sure if anyone here has seen or can vouch for them - they seem to have been mostly quota quickies - but it does seem like a perfect BFI release.
Last edited by Calvin on Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

112 Age of Consent

#27 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:03 am

I believe this has been mooted, but there are significant problems with existing (often only surviving) materials.

But it’s a racing certainty that if anyone does something like that, it’ll be the BFI.

As for the Bartók, my dream package would be a double bill of the Powell combined with Ken Russell’s hour-long portrait of the composer (made at almost exactly the same time), one of my absolute favourites of his BBC films. Although that’s a rights clearance nightmare (which I assume is why it wasn’t included on the otherwise admirably comprehensive BFI survey of his longer 1960s BBC pieces) - unsurprisingly, Russell never went anywhere near Hungary, preferring to plunder the Contemporary Films catalogue for suitably evocative images (George Hoellering’s classic documentary Hortobágy being a primary source), which were presumably only cleared for one-off broadcast.

(The other major Russell from that period that’s currently MIA is the notorious Dance of the Seven Veils, effectively - and, to be fair, understandably - banned since 1970 by the Richard Strauss estate. But in this case the BFI is well aware that the copyright barrier will be lifted on New Year’s Day 2020 and also that they’re sitting on excellent materials, including Russell’s own personal print, so fingers crossed!)

Florinaldo

#28 Post by Florinaldo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:18 pm

Oh... Rosalinda!! is another Powell-Pressburger title that remains very elusive; some may consider it only a musical curiosity but with such a cast (Walbrook, Redgrave, Quayle, Tchérina, etc.) it must at least be worth a watch. I can't locate any digital video edition, so it may be caught in some sort of limbo because of rights issues following it flopping at the box office.

MichaelB

#29 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:34 pm

Florinaldo wrote:Oh... Rosalinda!! is another Powell-Pressburger title that remains very elusive; some may consider it only a musical curiosity but with such a cast (Walbrook, Redgrave, Quayle, Tchérina, etc.) it must at least be worth a watch. I can't locate any digital video edition, so it may be caught in some sort of limbo because of rights issues following it flopping at the box office.
There’s no rights issue that I’m aware of, but I don’t imagine it’s one of StudioCanal’s higher priorities. Although I’m sure they’ll get round to it eventually.

Florinaldo

#30 Post by Florinaldo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:43 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:34 pm
There’s no rights issue that I’m aware of, but I don’t imagine it’s one of StudioCanal’s higher priorities. Although I’m sure they’ll get round to it eventually.
Yes, since it's most probably not going to be a huge best-seller and will be of most interest to P-P completists because it does not have the same high reputation as several of their other titles, I understand that StudioCanal would not be putting it amongst its top priorities. But one can only hope to be able to see it one day.

Thanks for the information.

knives

#31 Post by knives » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:21 pm

TBH I think it is one of their best.

MichaelB

#32 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:23 pm

I've seen it (and on the big screen courtesy of a 1993 revival), but I honestly don't remember much about it. Although I definitely wasn't thinking "one of their best".

Tommaso

#33 Post by Tommaso » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:26 pm

I think "Rosalinda" is a quite charming, but minor film. And as an adaptation of Strauss' "Die Fledermaus" it doesn't have the vivid glamour that the 1945 version by Geza von Bolvary carries.

"The Queen's Guards", however, was a totally uninspired film that showed nothing of the old spark, which at least was somewhat rekindled with the Australian films (even though I'm not a big fan of these either). And it was a total flop. But it was made after "Peeping Tom", so I suppose the old legend that the scandal around "Peeping Tom" made it impossible for Powell to continue work in the UK is only a half-truth and "Guards" had a huge negative influence on Powell's career, too.

Like David, I of course also fuss about "Bluebeard's Castle", but does anyone know why nobody seems to be doing anything about "The Elusive Pimpernel"? Not their greatest effort, but nevertheless its P&P from their prime period and the Mont St. Michel scenes are truly impressive. This really deserves a release, restored or not. Rights issues?
Last edited by Tommaso on Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#34 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:31 pm

Tommaso wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:26 pm
"The Queen's Guards" was a totally uninspired film that showed nothing of the old spark, which at least was somewhat rekindled with the Australian films (even though I'm not a big fan of these either). And it was a total flop. But it was made after "Peeping Tom", so I suppose the old legend that the scandal around "Peeping Tom" made it impossible for Powell to continue work in the UK is only a half-truth and "Guards" had a huge negative influence on Powell's career, too.
I've always found the "Peeping Tom destroyed Powell's career" to be about as believable as "A Clockwork Orange killed off the Scala Cinema". There's a tiny grain of truth buried there, in that both were certainly contributing factors to the decline in question, but I suspect in both cases they were comparatively minor. The Queen's Guards was a considerably more expensive flop than Peeping Tom, and I don't believe that Powell had had a bona fide hit since The Battle of the River Plate in 1956, so even if he'd never made Peeping Tom he might have struggled to sustain his career into the Sixties. And in the case of the Scala, the main reason that the cinema closed when it did was because its twelve-year licence was coming up for renewal and the landlord seized the opportunity to triple the rent on the building - but that's less glamorous than "outlaw cinema shows banned film and suffers consequences".

Finch

#35 Post by Finch » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:51 pm

Not wanting to take the thread too far off-topic but what led to the ban of Dance of the Seven Veils? It goes to show how little I know of Russell outside of his most famous films, but I hadn't heard of it before. Count me among those who'd buy a release of the Bartok films if that ever becomes feasible.

swo17

#36 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:56 pm

It's about as reverent to its subject as Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

MichaelB

#37 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:20 pm

It was shown once on television on 15 February 1970, the BBC having cleared the rights to Richard Strauss's music via his publishers Boosey and Hawkes - I gather they just waved through the permission without asking too many questions.

But because this permission was only granted for a single broadcast, the Strauss family made it very clear that it would never be granted again for as long as they had any say in the matter, a situation that continues until New Year's Day 2020 (because Strauss died in 1949, so he becomes public domain at the start of the full calendar year following the 70th anniversary of his death). And when Russell sought to use some of Strauss's opera Salome in his 1987 film Salome's Last Dance, as soon as the Strauss family found out who was directing it, the answer was a flat no - and this was clearly personal, as licensing Strauss works isn't usually that hard.

As to why the Strauss family disliked it... well, you don't need to delve too deeply into the synopsis that I wrote for BFI Screenonline to work out why! As Russell himself acknowledged at the time, it was:
a good example of the sort of film that could never be made outside the BBC, because the lawyers would be on to it in two seconds. I would have had to submit a script to the Strauss family and his publishers Boosey and Hawkes would have come into it, and it would never have happened. The great thing about the BBC is that the quickness of the hand deceives the eye. Before anyone can complain, the film is out. But the price you pay with a really controversial film is that it's usually only shown once.

Calvin

#38 Post by Calvin » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:44 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:03 am
The other major Russell from that period that’s currently MIA is the notorious Dance of the Seven Veils, effectively - and, to be fair, understandably - banned since 1970 by the Richard Strauss estate. But in this case the BFI is well aware that the copyright barrier will be lifted on New Year’s Day 2020 and also that they’re sitting on excellent materials, including Russell’s own personal print, so fingers crossed!
Here's hoping that the BFI restore it next year, ready for it to be made available on the BFI Player as soon as Jools finishes his Hootenanny.

david hare

#39 Post by david hare » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:47 pm

Meanwhile the time coded bootleg does quite well.

Finch

#40 Post by Finch » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:19 pm

Thank you for that informative read, Michael!

MichaelB

112 Age of Consent

#41 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:07 am

david hare wrote:Meanwhile the time coded bootleg does quite well.
The colours are absolute shit, though. The BFI is sitting on Russell’s own personal copy, which looks far nicer.

MichaelB

#42 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:29 am

Anyway, just to get back on topic, here are full and final specs:

MichaelB

#43 Post by MichaelB » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:58 am

MichaelB

#44 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:52 am

Indicator's response to a letter about Age of Consent from the film's editor that appeared in the current Sight & Sound:

Aunt Peg

#45 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:44 am

I saw Age of Consent years ago. So long in fact that I don't remember if it was at a repertory cinema or on TV or even what decade.

Given that I had a rather ho-hum view of the film I didn't rush to buy it when it was first released. It was sort of my radar as a maybe and whilst filling my cart whilst on-line shopping a few weeks ago I decided cave in and to include this and give it a second go. Very glad that I did as I throughly enjoyed it (naturally watched the director's cut) and the extras are stellar.

Another great Indicator release.