67 Charley Varrick

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Indicator

#1 Post by tenia » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:55 am

CHARLEY VARRICK
• High Definition remaster
It's unfortunate to start a new studio-deal with such a lackluster material. This is one of the most mediocre HD pre-existing master I saw recently, along with The Mechanic and Willie Dynamite. I hope the other 3 are better, despite still being pre-existing sources.

Technicalities aside, all titles look very interesting (though I've already seen Varrick recently and I can't say I found it very good).

MichaelB

#2 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:47 am

rapta wrote:I had a little look on Caps-a-holic as I remembered there was a German Blu-ray of this recently, and anything has to look better than that old UK DVD. So even if it's the same master as the German disc, I'm happy with that over nothing at all. David M will make sure the encode is as good as it possibly can be.
Final specs for Charley Varrick:

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:33 pm

CineOutsider on Charley Varrick.

isakorg2

#4 Post by isakorg2 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:21 pm

Got this on a good Koch Media Blu-ray last year and was knocked out by how good it was - truly one of Siegel's best. How is the Indicator version compared to the Koch - haven't found any reviews that compare the two. I ended up triple dipping, on a whim, the Indicator Big Heat and Lady from Shanghai; and found the Indicators unexpectedly yielding so much more visually than the first Twilight Big Heat (which was good) and the Mill Creek and corrected TCM Lady from Shanghai's that Indicator has become for me a label on which to keep close watch. In short - any comments from anywhere concerning the Indicator vs the Koch Charlie Varrick?

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:28 pm

isakorg2 wrote:In short - any comments from anywhere concerning the Indicator vs the Koch Charlie Varrick?
Here's Caps-a-holic.
Ribs wrote:Beaver on Charley Varrick

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#6 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:28 am

MichaelB wrote:...and while it’s not in imminent danger of going OOP, Charley Varrick is one of their fastest ever sellers.
FTR Amazon.co.uk now lists Charley Varrick as "temporarily out of stock". Does this, pardon my pun, indicate that it is soon OOP?

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:58 am

I don’t know the current position, but it’s one of the label’s fastest ever sellers so it’s clearly a strong candidate for going OOP sooner rather than later.

Although that makes it an equally strong candidate for swift replacement by a second edition, which will contain exactly the same disc, just ditching the booklet and reversible sleeve.