Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

TechnicolorAcid

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#1076 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:00 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:37 pm
Isn't The Crying Game a UK film?
Yep it is, and although it was distributed with Miramax in the US, the production companies Palace Pictures and Channel 4 Films are technically UK studios.

MichaelB

#1077 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:04 pm

...which is presumably why the BFI was able to pick up the rights for their still in-print Blu-ray.

TechnicolorAcid

#1078 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:17 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:04 pm
...which is presumably why the BFI was able to pick up the rights for their still in-print Blu-ray.
Oh that reminds me is there any specific reason why Indicator decided to release Requiem for a Village as an American only disc while the BFI disc was still in print, I believe it’s the only time it ever happened in the company’s history. Just curious.

MichaelB

#1079 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:58 pm

TechnicolorAcid wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:17 pm
Oh that reminds me is there any specific reason why Indicator decided to release Requiem for a Village as an American only disc while the BFI disc was still in print, I believe it’s the only time it ever happened in the company’s history. Just curious.
Love on the Dole is similar, and Orders to Kill is US-only.

In all cases, the US rights were available and the UK ones weren't.

And in the case of Requiem for a Village and Love on the Dole, the UK rights never will be, as the BFI owns both films outright - indeed, they made Requiem for a Village in the first place.

TechnicolorAcid

#1080 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:30 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:58 pm
TechnicolorAcid wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:17 pm
Love on the Dole is similar, and Orders to Kill is US-only.

In all cases, the US rights were available and the UK ones weren't.

And in the case of Requiem for a Village and Love on the Dole, the UK rights never will be, as the BFI owns both films outright - indeed, they made Requiem for a Village in the first place.
Thank you Michael, I got it now.

jlnight

#1081 Post by jlnight » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:52 pm

Lepers and Sex (aka Santo vs The Riders of Terror), from 1970 and directed by Rene Cardona, passed by the BBFC, 18 certificate.

Finch

#1082 Post by Finch » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:13 am

Santo vs The Riders of Terror and The Panther Women got announced on Indicator's Youtube channel for March on BD for the UK and US.

Finch

#1083 Post by Finch » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:28 am

Indicator mentioned on BR that the first titles from their new Sony deal will show up later in the year. I think Anthony Mann's Reign of Terror/The Black Book warrants a release of its own instead of being bundled with some second or third rate noirs that don't even warrant the noir description. Sony also seem to have Joseph Losey's M remake and maybe Indicator can get a more recent transfer for Barrabas than what Imprint saw fit to release last year.

beamish14

#1084 Post by beamish14 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:10 am

A stacked release of Barabbas (or any number of Fleischer’s other films) would be great

I thought that M continues to be unavailable as a result of rights issues. I saw a 35mm print at the American Cinematheque’s annual Noir City fest a number of years ago, and it looked great, so hopefully all the materials are in pristine shape

I’m again going to stump for Happy Birthday, Wanda June from Sony

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1085 Post by tenia » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:17 am

I saw Losey's M in 2015 through a digital remaster / restoration (later released in France on BD), and it wasn't particularly good looking. The grading was off, and it looked quite intensively grain-managed (and on top of that, though the BD wasn't affected so it was only my showing that had the issue, the sound was out of sync).

DeprongMori

#1086 Post by DeprongMori » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:11 pm

Re: Losey’s M

Around 2012, Library of Congress did a photochemical restoration from pre-print elements in their vaults. I understand the resulting print was quite good. It screened in 2013 through the Chicago Film Society. I’m guessing it is still available. At that time, public performance rights were handled by Harold Nebenzal, associate producer for the film, and successor of producer Seymour Nebenzal for Nero Films Classics Inc. Harold Nebenzal died in 2019, and I haven’t yet found who is now handling the rights. He had two children.

BFI also has a print, in lesser condition, that was circulating around that time.

I’m still trying to find out why the film was released from “Superior Pictures” rather than under Nebenzal’s usual banner of “Nero Films”. I know the previous Nero Films picture Siren of Atlantis was an enormous financial disaster. If you have any info out why Superior Pictures is listed as the production company, or who they are, please let me know.

Finch

#1087 Post by Finch » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:42 pm

Sam Dunn and John Morrissey were on the Chasing Labels podcast earlier this week and teased a title or titles featuring Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. Which has to mean it's any or all of this trio of Columbia/TriStar Picture comedies, Stir Crazy, Another You and See No Evil Hear No Evil. Silver Streak is with Fox/Disney.

Also, more Hammer, sex comedies and another hint at a Whistler set.

beamish14

#1088 Post by beamish14 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:26 pm

Finch wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:42 pm
Sam Dunn and John Morrissey were on the Chasing Labels podcast earlier this week and teased a title or titles featuring Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. Which has to mean it's any or all of this trio of Columbia/TriStar Picture comedies, Stir Crazy, Another You and See No Evil Hear No Evil. Silver Streak is with Fox/Disney.

Also, more Hammer, sex comedies and another hint at a Whistler set.
I’ve always wondered if anything Peter Bogdanovich shot for Another You still exists. What a wretched film

TechnicolorAcid

#1089 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:55 pm

I feel like Stir Crazy has the highest chance of getting an Indicator release out of the three, so I’ll place my bets on it now.

rapta

#1090 Post by rapta » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:08 pm

Finch wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:23 pm
Originally Posted by Indicator
We are releasing a 1992 American thriller this year, as it happens, but not Unlawful Entry.
Bad Lieutenant would be an interesting choice but it might not be available to Indicator. I have no idea who the UK rights are with now.

EDIT: Actually, Single White Female is a Sony title, and from 1992.
Just realised this month's newsletter teaser was indeed for Single White Female. Must be a promotional image or something of Bridget Fonda wearing a kimono and engagement ring (from the opening of the film). Thought that would be a title they'd go for eventually, in fact was surprised it wasn't part of their initial batches!

ryannichols7

#1091 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:52 am

the other forum says the newsletter clue this month is for George Romero's Bruiser

Aunt Peg

#1092 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:49 pm

A Sony deal of 60 titles including Joan Crawford \:D/

Hopefully we will get Queen Bee, Harriet Craig & Autumn Leaves. I great edition to Harriet Craig would be the earlier version Craig's Wife (1936) directed by Dorothy Arzner with Rosalind Russell.

Matt

#1093 Post by Matt » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:13 pm

Aunt Peg wrote:I great edition to Harriet Craig would be the earlier version Craig's Wife (1936) directed by Dorothy Arzner with Rosalind Russell.
I would buy that. I like both versions of the story. Some sort of video essay about the play and the three (one lost silent) film adaptations would be interesting. There are two radio adaptations as well, one with Russell and Herbert Marshall, and one with Orson Welles and Ann Harding.

What A Disgrace

#1094 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:19 pm

A double feature of the two films would be ideal, considering Indicator did release an earlier Arzner film (and Craig's Wife is considered her best), and both are Columbia properties.

Randall Maysin Again

#1095 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:20 am

I don't know if Indicator would be the right fit for releasing John Boorman's Hope and Glory, as I don't know who owns the rights or if Indicator has a deal with said rightsholder, but someone needs to get on this. There's a whole bunch of schtuff such an edition could include, new and archival interviews with cast and crew, and hopefully a Boorman commentary, + Boorman's autobiographical mockumentary I Dreamt I Woke Up, I also seem to recall seeing something about deleted scenes being around somewhere, and maybe a commentary or interview with Brian Hoyle, since the other Big Boorman Scholar, Michel Ciment, just passed away. That would be just ducky!

Finch

#1096 Post by Finch » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:38 am

Its a Sony title and they released it on UK BD in 2017 but I think it was without supplements. The Olive BD from a year later only had a trailer, and Indicator reissued that Christopher Lee biopic just now with more extras than Eureka did. So, yeah, could be among the new Sony licenses...

rapta

#1097 Post by rapta » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:46 pm

Finch wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:38 am
Its a Sony title and they released it on UK BD in 2017 but I think it was without supplements. The Olive BD from a year later only had a trailer, and Indicator reissued that Christopher Lee biopic just now with more extras than Eureka did. So, yeah, could be among the new Sony licenses...
Jinnah wasn't from Sony though...

I imagine Sony would be open to allowing Indicator if they really wanted it - Arrow managed to license both Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Flatliners despite previous Sony UK discs (and they're rumoured to have the Robert Rodriguez films too), and Mediumrare and 88 Films recently licensed some too. Indicator said they tried to get Earth vs. The Flying Saucers, Jason and the Argonauts and Starman in the past and were told they couldn't license them, presumably due to Sony discs still being available, but maybe Sony would be willing to budge if those discs are now OOP?

In which case I'd love to see Indicator or Arrow also try to get things like The Professionals, Papillon, Robin and Marian, Kramer vs Kramer, Krull, Silverado, Casualties of War, Awakenings, The Quick and the Dead, The People vs Larry Flynt, Donnie Brasco, Erin Brockovich...maybe even some Capra or Monty Python if they were lucky. That's assuming Sony don't have 4K plans for any of them (or Criterion, if they're still tight with Sony?).

beamish14

#1098 Post by beamish14 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:56 pm

rapta wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:46 pm
Finch wrote:

I imagine Sony would be open to allowing Indicator if they really wanted it - Arrow managed to license both Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Flatliners despite previous Sony UK discs (and they're rumoured to have the Robert Rodriguez films too), and Mediumrare and 88 Films recently licensed some too. Indicator said they tried to get Earth vs. The Flying Saucers, Jason and the Argonauts and Starman in the past and were told they couldn't license them, presumably due to Sony discs still being available, but maybe Sony would be willing to budge if those discs are now OOP?

In which case I'd love to see Indicator or Arrow also try to get things like The Professionals, Papillon, Robin and Marian, Kramer vs Kramer, Krull, Silverado, Casualties of War, Awakenings, The Quick and the Dead, The People vs Larry Flynt, Donnie Brasco, Erin Brockovich...maybe even some Capra or Monty Python if they were lucky. That's assuming Sony don't have 4K plans for any of them (or Criterion, if they're still tight with Sony?).
All great suggestions, and I’ll toss in additional Richard Brooks (Lord Jim and Wrong is Right-get Joe Dante to do a commentary or interview for the latter).

willoneill

#1099 Post by willoneill » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:05 pm

rapta wrote:
Finch wrote:

An Indicator blu-ray version of the Early Capra TCM dvd set would be very welcomed. Part of me kinda expected it for a while.

Finch

#1100 Post by Finch » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:43 pm

rapta wrote:
Jinnah wasn't from Sony though..
Never said it was from Sony, and that wasn't why I brought up Jinnah in the first place. It'd been released not too long ago by another label and Indicator saw the opportunity to improve on the Eureka disc with more supplements. That may apply again to Hope and Glory if Sony lets them have it.