Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

beamish14

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#1101 Post by beamish14 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:05 pm

Something interesting to note about Papillon is that when it screened here in Los Angeles some years back, the print used was several minutes longer than the commercially released version. I believe it was provided by the producer’s estate. I wish I knew what was different

rapta

#1102 Post by rapta » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:09 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:56 pm
All great suggestions, and I’ll toss in additional Richard Brooks (Lord Jim and Wrong is Right-get Joe Dante to do a commentary or interview for the latter).
Sorry, should've made it clearer my suggestions were titles they've already released in the past by Sony on UK Blu-ray (in many cases they're now OOP).

But yes, there are plenty of Columbia titles I'm surprised Indicator haven't picked up before now. In the same vein as your own suggestions, King Rat and The Hireling come to mind, for example.
willoneill wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:05 pm
An Indicator blu-ray version of the Early Capra TCM dvd set would be very welcomed. Part of me kinda expected it for a while.
I think they had been trying for some Capra a long while back, so hopefully with this new deal they had at least a little success (perhaps just one or two, but a set would be really good of course). I very much doubt Sony would be doing much with them themselves, but for some reason they're a little reluctant to let go of specifically his films (I suppose each of the major studios have certain directors close to their hearts and often don't allow licensing of their work).

Anyway, yes I imagined they'd do the same titles in that TCM DVD set but also Dirigible, Platinum Blonde, American Madness, Lady for a Day, Broadway Bill etc (and maybe even earlier stuff he did for Columbia between 1928-1930).
Finch wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:43 pm
rapta wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:46 pm
Jinnah wasn't from Sony though..
Never said it was from Sony, and that wasn't why I brought up Jinnah in the first place. It'd been released not too long ago by another label and Indicator saw the opportunity to improve on the Eureka disc with more supplements. That may apply again to Hope and Glory if Sony lets them have it.
Apologies, I misread your post and thought that was the through-line! Of course they have done that before a few times (Scum, Midway, Snapshot). I suppose it'd have to be a combination of whether Sony let them have it and whether it was worth revisiting - it probably would be as when else would they get to do a Boorman title?*

*I would've loved to have seen them do The Emerald Forest, but according to Park Circus it's with ITV. Strange, and disappointing, as the DVD was Optimum/StudioCanal so I previously thought Indicator might have a shot with it.

dwk

#1103 Post by dwk » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:59 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:52 am
the other forum says the newsletter clue this month is for George Romero's Bruiser
Since this is over 20 years old, I am curious to see if this is licensed from StudioCanal, who presented and handled the initial sales for the film, or have the rights gone back to the original production company.

Stefan Andersson

#1104 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:24 pm

Re: future Sony releases --
+1 vote for
Early Capra TCM set
Queen Bee
Harriet Craig + Craig´s Wife
Autumn Leaves
Lord Jim
Wrong is Right
Hope and Glory
Robin and Marian

Also:
The Burglar, Wendkos
Castle Keep
The More the Merrier, 1943
The Talk of the Town, 1942
Man Who Would be King
Cisco Pike
H M S Defiant
Nightmare, 1956
They Came to Cordura incl. analysis of screenplay and allegedly cut scenes
Lilith
Five Easy Pieces + Drive He Said + King of Marvin Gardens
Macbeth, Polanski
Suddenly Last Summer
Bitter Victory, 1957
Hot Blood, 1955
Model Shop
Here Comes Mr Jordan
The Wrong Box
Man in the Saddle
Stranger Wore a Gun
Richard Quine/Judy Holliday/Jack Lemmon at Columbia
The Key, Carol Reed
Baby the Rain Must Fall
Cromwell
Who´s Minding the Mint?
Watermelon Man
Bunny Lake is missing
Experiment in Terror
Who Was that Lady?
Hocus Pocus, 1958
Images, Altman, distributed by Columbia as per ImdB
10 Rillington Place
Our Man in Havana
Brotherhood of Evil
Member of the Wedding
Human Desire, Lang
The Gorgon
I Walk the Line
Fat City
Edge of Eternity, 1959
You were never lovelier
Tight Spot, 1955
My Sister Eileen, 1955
Hell is a City
Burglars/La Casse, French+English cuts
Fool´s Parade, 1971

Sorry if any of the above are out on BD already.

Finch

#1105 Post by Finch » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:05 pm

I don't believe The More The Merrier is, and I hope it's on Indicator's schedule either for this year or 2025.

@Stefan, Fat City, 10 Rillington Place, Experiment in Terror, Bunny Lake Is Missing, Suddenly Last Summer, Cisco Pike, Lilith, Watermelon Man, The Gorgon, Castle Keep are all already available through Indicator.

Images, I think, is with Arrow? Human Desire is MoC?

Stefan Andersson

#1106 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:09 pm

Finch wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:05 pm
I don't believe The More The Merrier is, and I hope it's on Indicator's schedule either for this year or 2025.

@Stefan, Fat City, 10 Rillington Place, Experiment in Terror, Bunny Lake Is Missing, Suddenly Last Summer, Cisco Pike, Lilith, Watermelon Man, The Gorgon, Castle Keep are all already available through Indicator.

Images, I think, is with Arrow? Human Desire is MoC?
Hi Finch, thanks for the update!

Yes, you are correct, Images is an Arrow release; Human Desire is out from MoC.

TechnicolorAcid

#1107 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:18 pm

If Model Shop is the Jacques Demy one then that’s already been released by Arrow Academy and the BBS films, Here Comes Mr. Jordan, and Polanski’s Macbeth are most likely currently under Criterion.

Finch

#1108 Post by Finch » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:32 pm

Macbeth and Here Comes Mr Jordan did get UK releases from Criterion, yes, so they can be struck off Stefan's list, too.

Maltic

#1109 Post by Maltic » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:33 pm

Tight Spot was in one of the Indicator noir boxes.

Bitter Victory is much needed on BD, of course.

MichaelB

#1110 Post by MichaelB » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:27 pm

It's probably worth clarifying that the titles have already been licensed and the masters delivered, so there's no point requesting or voting for them.

But the good news is that no fewer than twelve (!) of the titles on Stefan's list are already available as Indicator editions, plus another five (at least) on other UK labels, so in an odd kind of way this may be the most successful wishlist ever posted here.

mas114

#1111 Post by mas114 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:40 pm

Bitter Victory blu ray came out a few years ago in France.

https://www.fnac.com/a10521837/Amere-vi ... earchpos=1

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1112 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:03 pm

It’s supposed to be a poor disc, unfortunately

Finch

#1113 Post by Finch » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:53 pm

Just finished watching Nick Pinkerton discuss Gregory LaCava on Criterion's My Man Godfrey disc and he cites Stage Door, Fifth Avenue Girl and She Married Her Boss as the other three classics. Stage Door is hopefully coming from WAC (less interested in Fifth Avenue Girl, Ginger Rogers is like fingernails on chalkboard to me) but She Married Her Boss sounds wonderful with Claudette Colbert and Mervyn Douglas, and it's Columbia Pictures, so I'm hoping that it's available and on Indicator's 2025 line-up if not among the 60 titles they got for this year.

Finch

#1114 Post by Finch » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:35 pm

Stefan Andersson wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:24 pm
Watermelon Man
Just a heads-up Stefan, WM is on their Low Stock page so if you want the LE, you might want to act before it disappears during the next sale which is probably going to happen later this month.

therewillbeblus

#1115 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:41 pm

Finch wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:35 pm
Stefan Andersson wrote:
Watermelon Man
Just a heads-up Stefan, WM is on their Low Stock page so if you want the LE, you might want to act before it disappears during the next sale which is probably going to happen later this month.
It's worth noting that this is a rare case where Indicator's edition has skim supplements, I offloaded mine for the Criterion box because there was one extra and I didn't much care for it. Perhaps the booklet is revolutionary though

Maltic

#1116 Post by Maltic » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:53 pm

How time flies! A few of those low stock titles I was eyeing at the last sale, but thought "nah, they'll sell out any day now, and then I can pick them up in the standard edition, perhaps even 3 for 15, during the next sale"

Stefan Andersson

#1117 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:15 pm

Finch wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:35 pm
Stefan Andersson wrote:
Watermelon Man
Hi Finch, thanks a lot for the heads-up!

ianthemovie

#1118 Post by ianthemovie » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:16 pm

Finch wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:53 pm
Stage Door is hopefully coming from WAC (less interested in Fifth Avenue Girl, Ginger Rogers is like fingernails on chalkboard to me)
Hate to break this to you, but you might not be so excited for Stage Door once you see who shares top billing with Katharine Hepburn...

Finch

#1119 Post by Finch » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:15 pm

Oh I've seen Stage Door and I know Rogers is in it! But there she's part of a larger ensemble.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1120 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:35 pm

Finch wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:53 pm
Just finished watching Nick Pinkerton discuss Gregory LaCava on Criterion's My Man Godfrey disc and he cites Stage Door, Fifth Avenue Girl and She Married Her Boss as the other three classics. Stage Door is hopefully coming from WAC (less interested in Fifth Avenue Girl, Ginger Rogers is like fingernails on chalkboard to me) but She Married Her Boss sounds wonderful with Claudette Colbert and Mervyn Douglas, and it's Columbia Pictures, so I'm hoping that it's available and on Indicator's 2025 line-up if not among the 60 titles they got for this year.
This is a quasi spoiler, but Ginger Rogers isn’t really the lead of 5th Avenue Girl, the great “That Guy” Walter Connolly is and it’s indeed a great screwball comedy. She Married Her Boss is a comedy the same way Dinner at Eight is a comedy, ie not really despite the label

ianthemovie

#1121 Post by ianthemovie » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:39 pm

Finch wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:15 pm
Oh I've seen Stage Door and I know Rogers is in it! But there she's part of a larger ensemble.
Ah, ok! She's not my favorite either, but I usually don't mind her. I'm hoping Warner Archive gets to Stage Door soon, too.

Black Hat

#1122 Post by Black Hat » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:39 pm

5th Avenue Girl is fantastic and surprising in all sorts of ways. La Cava, in my view, is the most underappreciated director of the studio system.

therewillbeblus

#1123 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:49 pm

Black Hat wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:39 pm
La Cava, in my view, is the most underappreciated director of the studio system.
I've loved everything I've seen from him, but that's only his four 'top' features on LB (Stage D, 5th Ave G, My Man G, G over the WH). What else would you recommend?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1124 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:11 pm

He made the W.C. Fields silent Running Wild

bottlesofsmoke

#1125 Post by bottlesofsmoke » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:28 pm

I'm a fan of Feel My Pulse (which actually has a NA Blu-ray release) it's a lot like a Harold Lloyd comedy, but with Bebe Daniels in the lead instead.

I've seen a lot of La Cava's earlier thirties films, they're more of a mixed bag and many lean more towards typical melodrama from that era than comedy. Bed of Roses and Gallant Lady are probably my favorites, just don't expect the same consistent quality as his most famous films, but there are a lot of little things to appreciate about some of the performances (Pert Kelton steals the show in Bed of Roses) and the way that La Cava handles some of the soapier material.