Indicator

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Ribs

Re: Indicator

#176 Post by Ribs » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Just crossposting the hint MichaelB left in the Shelf thread over in the Criterion subforum:
MichaelB wrote:
Ribs wrote:So... considering TT is releasing Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, does that mean that the shelf might have included titles Criterion was only circling rather than just being stuff in active development?
Or simply stuff for background research. I'm going to be ploughing through a fair chunk of Jack Nicholson's back catalogue very soon, but Powerhouse only has three actual titles to my knowledge*. Ditto Hammer, as I seriously need to brush up on their psychological thrillers.

(*Don't bother trawling the Sony catalogue for clues; they're not all Columbia releases.)
The Fortune is pretty much exactly up Indicator's wheelhouse, and the guess from that thread of As Good as It Gets (both Sony) seems very feasible as well (though not really Indicator's "type"), but assuming Wolf is included in that count seems fairly unlikely to me. Makes me a tad hopeful one of the deals they have might be for the ABC Pictures titles, just to see if they're able to get a good release of Prizzi's Honor. On the other hand, that's also going off the assumption he's not including The Last Detail!
Last edited by Ribs on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Costa

#177 Post by Costa » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:26 pm

MichaelB wrote:As soon as there’s an announcement about stock levels anywhere on social media, I’ll post it here.

And the upcoming Jack Nicholson titles do not include existing/announced ones.
Ok, thanks.
Decided to leave getting the Sinbad now, but I assume we're far from this title being OOP.
Ribs wrote: Makes me a tad hopeful one of the deals they have might be for the ABC Pictures titles
Oh, I would really hope so too so that I could see Spacecamp from Indicator! :D

fdm

#178 Post by fdm » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Well, maybe Carnal Knowledge will finally make its blu-ray appearance.

rapta

#179 Post by rapta » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:25 am

Hoping for some Monte Hellman myself!

And since they've done Arthur Penn, Jack Nicholson, Marlon Brando and Randy Quaid before, The Missouri Breaks also seems pretty likely.

Costa

#180 Post by Costa » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:29 am

rapta wrote: And since they've done Arthur Penn, Jack Nicholson, Marlon Brando and Randy Quaid before, The Missouri Breaks also seems pretty likely.
But if it's like the scan Kino got, it doesn't look very good. :(

M Sanderson

#181 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:58 am

I’ve bought several Indicator release and have been impressed by the quality. They’re mostly using outstanding or at least very good masters (Bunny Lake, Christine, Body Double, Hardcore, Joe Egg, Deadly Affair) although like all labels, not all they’re given are great, suffering fading, such as Castle Keep, The Reckoning, etc. What they’re supplied with they give the highest level of treatment, and I’m impressed by their choice of titles, surprising given so far they’re licensing from only one company, Sony. I think they can only get better, and look forward to the day when they can produce their own restoration jobs, as well a slicence from different studios.

Very much looking forward to The Pumpkin Eater, another outstanding choice and great commitment to British cinema, especially the 1960s, when so much bold work was done.

I rewatched Christine recently, and am enormously impressed by the presentation. I found it better than the German release I used to have. But, I heard there were audio issues with the first pressing. And, for the first time I noticed dialogue missing from the Alexandra Paul character, just before Christine is captured and crushed. When she’s guiding the John Stockwell character in his Caterpillar vehicle. Is there a replacement program, and has anyone else noticed this problem?

MichaelB

#182 Post by MichaelB » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:24 am

M Sanderson wrote:I’ve bought several Indicator release and have been impressed by the quality. They’re mostly using outstanding or at least very good masters (Bunny Lake, Christine, Body Double, Hardcore, Joe Egg, Deadly Affair) although like all labels, not all they’re given are great, suffering fading, such as Castle Keep, The Reckoning, etc. What they’re supplied with they give the highest level of treatment, and I’m impressed by their choice of titles, surprising given so far they’re licensing from only one company, Sony. I think they can only get better, and look forward to the day when they can produce their own restoration jobs, as well a slicence from different studios.
Deals have been signed with two more rightsholders, and the first fruits of that will be unveiled in January. Although the overwhelming majority of Indicator's 2018 releases will continue to be drawn from the Sony (Columbia) catalogue, as they still have plenty to get through.

As for producing their own restoration jobs, this is already happening to a certain extent - although a full-on 4K original-neg scan is way beyond Powerhouse's budgets, quite a few recent titles have been cleaned up. In fact, you can see this illustrated on the Fanatic disc because for logistical reasons the extras had to use the original master, complete with white spots-a-go-go that have been pretty much entirely eliminated from the feature presentation.

In fact, I was unexpectedly impressed with how well the Hammer titles spruced up: unavoidably, Powerhouse had to use the same masters as were furnished to Mill Creek, but the combination of a general clean-up and a vastly higher bitrate has paid very noticeable dividends - Mill Creek crammed two titles onto a single-layer disc, while Indicator's individual titles take up more than half the capacity of a dual-layer one (and they're all under 100 minutes and three are under 90, so don't need any more than they get). Restoring the original British credit sequence of Fanatic took a fair bit of effort (not least matching the overall appearance to Sony's master of the US version), but was also well worth doing, and I very much hope that future Hammer titles will similarly offer options to play either the British or American release versions. (Sony invariably supplies the US version, which is why all previous video releases of Fanatic have been called Die! Die! My Darling!.)
I rewatched Christine recently, and am enormously impressed by the presentation. I found it better than the German release I used to have. But, I heard there were audio issues with the first pressing. And, for the first time I noticed dialogue missing from the Alexandra Paul character, just before Christine is captured and crushed. When she’s guiding the John Stockwell character in his Caterpillar vehicle. Is there a replacement program, and has anyone else noticed this problem?
The replacement programme was launched within weeks of the original release a year ago - if you think you have a faulty copy (if I remember rightly, the one of the rear channels in the 5.1 mix was silent), contact info@powerhousefilms.co.uk to see if they can still replace it.

As a result of that, I now routinely circulate graphical maps of all multichannel soundtracks to the production team prior to sign-off - obviously, those don't do more than confirm that something is happening on every channel, but it does at least offer instant visual assurance to team members without surround setups that there's something there. (They can also be quite revealing in other ways - The First Men in the Moon has 3.1 and 5.1 options, but the subwoofer channel is noticeably louder in the 5.1 version.)

Ribs

#183 Post by Ribs » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:10 am

Castle Keep, to me, is an incredibly impressive release because it is very visibly a dated master with serious problems but the presentation is nothing short of impeccable and looks really wonderful. It's hard to describe, but the encode job squeezes out every last morsel of detail you can out of that master. It's a great Blu-ray, in my opinion, and lends serious weight towards my enthusiasm towards any new Indicator titles regardless of relative obscurity/master scarcity. I'd not say that the rendering of the Reckoning was quite so impressive but I'm glad to have it all the same.

M Sanderson

#184 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:28 pm

MichaelB wrote:
M Sanderson wrote:I’ve bought several Indicator release and have been impressed by the quality. They’re mostly using outstanding or at least very good masters (Bunny Lake, Christine, Body Double, Hardcore, Joe Egg, Deadly Affair) although like all labels, not all they’re given are great, suffering fading, such as Castle Keep, The Reckoning, etc. What they’re supplied with they give the highest level of treatment, and I’m impressed by their choice of titles, surprising given so far they’re licensing from only one company, Sony. I think they can only get better, and look forward to the day when they can produce their own restoration jobs, as well a slicence from different studios.
Deals have been signed with two more rightsholders, and the first fruits of that will be unveiled in January. Although the overwhelming majority of Indicator's 2018 releases will continue to be drawn from the Sony (Columbia) catalogue, as they still have plenty to get through.

As for producing their own restoration jobs, this is already happening to a certain extent - although a full-on 4K original-neg scan is way beyond Powerhouse's budgets, quite a few recent titles have been cleaned up. In fact, you can see this illustrated on the Fanatic disc because for logistical reasons the extras had to use the original master, complete with white spots-a-go-go that have been pretty much entirely eliminated from the feature presentation.

In fact, I was unexpectedly impressed with how well the Hammer titles spruced up: unavoidably, Powerhouse had to use the same masters as were furnished to Mill Creek, but the combination of a general clean-up and a vastly higher bitrate has paid very noticeable dividends - Mill Creek crammed two titles onto a single-layer disc, while Indicator's individual titles take up more than half the capacity of a dual-layer one (and they're all under 100 minutes and three are under 90, so don't need any more than they get). Restoring the original British credit sequence of Fanatic took a fair bit of effort (not least matching the overall appearance to Sony's master of the US version), but was also well worth doing, and I very much hope that future Hammer titles will similarly offer options to play either the British or American release versions. (Sony invariably supplies the US version, which is why all previous video releases of Fanatic have been called Die! Die! My Darling!.)
The replacement programme was launched within weeks of the original release a year ago - if you think you have a faulty copy (if I remember rightly, the one of the rear channels in the 5.1 mix was silent), contact info@powerhousefilms.co.uk to see if they can still replace it.

As a result of that, I now routinely circulate graphical maps of all multichannel soundtracks to the production team prior to sign-off - obviously, those don't do more than confirm that something is happening on every channel, but it does at least offer instant visual assurance to team members without surround setups that there's something there. (They can also be quite revealing in other ways - The First Men in the Moon has 3.1 and 5.1 options, but the subwoofer channel is noticeably louder in the 5.1 version.)
Thanks for the help regarding Christine.

Great to hear Fanatic is looking good; it’s the reason I’ve bought the Fear Warning set. I read about this in Pirie’s Heritage of Horror and admire this strange ensemble piece quite a lot.

M Sanderson

#185 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:34 pm

A title I really hope to see released is Geronimo: An American legend, which I remember having the Columbia Tristar logo when I had the VHS and which I’m presuming is held now by Sony.

Some feel it’s great late Hill and Hill seems to be trending a bit following TT’s Wild Bill, SF’s Trespass & the recent restoration of Long Riders...

M Sanderson

#186 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:28 am

Wow, I didn’t see this until I went on their website. January 22 2018 release date for:

The Fortune

The Border

Blue Collar

& Charley Varrick

MichaelB

#187 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:43 am

January's discs have just been announced:

BLUE COLLAR
(Paul Schrader, 1978)
Release date: 22 January 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere) - pre-order here

After writing Taxi Driver for Martin Scorsese, Paul Schrader made his directorial debut with this profane and profound drama about life on the factory floor of a Detroit car manufacturing plant. With explosive performances from the great Richard Pryor (Silver Streak, Stir Crazy), Harvey Keitel (The Border, Pulp Fiction) and Yaphet Kotto (Live and Let Die, Alien), Blue Collar presents one of the most authentic portraits of working-class life in all American cinema, and is one of the finest films of the 1970s.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Audio Commentary with writer/director Paul Schrader and author Maitland McDonagh
• A new filmed appreciation by filmmaker and actor Keith Gordon (2017, tbc mins)
• Interview with Paul Schrader (1982, tbc mins): an interview with film expert Tony Rayns
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by author and critic Brad Stevens, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
...AND MORE!

#PHILTD068
BBFC cert: 18
REGION B
EAN: 5037899071359
THE BORDER
(Tony Richardson, 1982)

Jack Nicholson (The Last Detail, Wolf) gives one of his finest and most subtle performances as a hard-working but deeply disillusioned Mexican border-guard in this tough thriller from renowned British filmmaker Tony Richardson (Look Back in Anger, A Taste of Honey).

• Original mono audio
• Audio Commentary with critic and film historian Nick Pinkerton
• The Guardian Lecture with Tony Richardson (1991, tbc mins): archival audio recording of an interview at London's National Film Theatre
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by author Scott Harrison, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
...AND MORE!

#PHILTD069
BBFC cert: 18
REGION B
EAN: 5037899071366
CHARLEY VARRICK
(Don Siegel, 1973)

Charley Varrick (Walter Matthau) is a former stunt-pilot who makes his living robbing small banks in the American Southwest. His latest heist sees him unwittingly steal from the local mafia, setting a psychotic hit-man on his trail and unleashing a maelstrom of violence and destruction.
Directed by the great Don Siegel (Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Dirty Harry), Charley Varrick is one of the best thrillers of the 70s: action-packed, memorably lurid and gleefully unsentimental

• Original mono audio
• Last of the Independents: Don Siegel and the Making of ‘Charley Varrick’ (2015, 72 mins): a feature-length documentary on the making of the film
• The Guardian Lecture with Don Siegel (1973, tbc mins): archival audio recording of an interview conducted by Tony Sloman at London's National Film Theatre
• The Guardian Lecture with Walther Matthau (1988, tbc mins): archival audio recording of an interview at London's National Film Theatre
• Super 8 version: original cut-down home cinema presentation
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by author and critic Richard Combs, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
...AND MORE!

#PHILTD067
BBFC cert: 15
REGION B
EAN: 5037899071342
THE FORTUNE
(Mike Nichols, 1975)

This high-concept, big-budget screwball comedy directed by Mike Nichols (The Graduate, Wolf) stars Warren Beatty (Mickey One, Bonnie and Clyde) as a slick con man and Jack Nicholson (One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, The Border) as his dim-witted sidekick trying to get their hands on the fortune of a hapless young heiress played by Stockard Channing (Grease, The West Wing). A commercial failure on its initial release, this buoyant and beautifully staged madcap comedy is ripe for rediscovery and reappraisal.

• Original mono audio
• Audio Commentary with critic and film historian Nick Pinkerton
• Mike Nichols and Elaine May in Conversation (2006, tbc mins): the two friends and filmmakers in discussion, recorded at New York’s Walter Reade Theater
• A new filmed appreciation by professor Kyle Stevens, author of Mike Nichols: Sex, Language, and the Reinvention of Psychological Realism (2017, tbc mins)
• Isolated Music and Effects Track
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Martyn Conterio, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
...AND MORE!

#PHILTD071
BBFC cert: 12
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071397
A quick footnote: the sharp-eyed amongst you will doubtless have spotted that the first three discs are locked to Region B. This was unavoidable, I'm afraid: unlike all previous Indicator releases these were sourced from Universal, which has a mandatory region-locking policy with regard to third-party licenses. However, the overwhelming majority of Indicator releases will continue to be region-free (as was everything released in 2016 and 2017), and I'll make sure to highlight any other exceptions.
Last edited by MichaelB on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ribs

#188 Post by Ribs » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:02 am

The no region-free thing is a bummer, but I’m really happy that Universal is the first other licensor regardless. These first titles are fantastic regarflrss. I skipped out on Charley Varrick as the second half of a late-running Matthau double bill just two weeks ago, but will probably rectify that by picking this one up!

nitin

#189 Post by nitin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:14 am

I came home about 45 min ago to find that my Blue Collar and The Border blu rays from Germany had been delivered....

But I think I will double dip on at least Blue Collar, the extras look great on that one. Will probably just keep my german blu of The Border as well as my TT disc of The Fortune. Charley Varrick I will pick up if the overall transfer is better than the german disc.

But the Universal deal gives me hope for plenty of overlooked noirs for next year! At least The Big Clock, Criss Cross, Black Angel and Phantom Lady.

Costa

#190 Post by Costa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:04 am

What can we expect from this Universal deal? What does it have that it doesn't want them and will licence to others?
Also, what other label has a Universal deal?

(I'm blind concerning rights etc.)

HJackson

#191 Post by HJackson » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:21 am

Universal has their own titles, early Paramount stuff, and RKO if I remember properly. Would love to see some Sternbergs coming out of this!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#192 Post by Drucker » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:22 am

Has anyone else had problems playing Indicator titles? My region-free Oppo won't play them, and I have to play them, instead, in my Samsung back-up. Which also means that I'm not sure I'll bother with region B titles, because I may not have a player for them.

Has any changes been made to anything that may make them work in older-firmware/older players?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#193 Post by Drucker » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:23 am

HJackson wrote:Universal has their own titles, early Paramount stuff, and RKO if I remember properly. Would love to see some Sternbergs coming out of this!
I asked Anthony from Arrow about this a while back, and he said Arrow had actually licensed the Paramount Sternberg titles but the masters weren't in good enough shape to release. Doesn't bode well for anyone but the likes of Olive, then, I suppose.

MichaelB

#194 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:31 am

Drucker wrote:Has anyone else had problems playing Indicator titles? My region-free Oppo won't play them, and I have to play them, instead, in my Samsung back-up. Which also means that I'm not sure I'll bother with region B titles, because I may not have a player for them.

Has any changes been made to anything that may make them work in older-firmware/older players?
I'm slightly concerned to hear this because all Indicator titles bar the three newly-announced Universal discs should not merely be region-free but specifically authored to be compatible with every Blu-ray setup worldwide. The only exception I can think of is the trailer for The Stone Killer, which was accidentally encoded at 50Hz, although everything else on that disc is fine.

For what it's worth, I QC all these discs in a region-free Oppo, and I've never had any problems.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#195 Post by Drucker » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:35 am

My region-free Oppo is slightly older, Oppo-93.

I updated the firmware for the first time last year and suddenly a bunch of titles stopped working. All Fox titles I own now freeze and don't even reach the menu. Indicator I think plays the PH logo but I can't get the film to play.

OTOH my Sopranos box set did start to work. I figure I just have bad luck but did wonder if there was something happening in the menu that could be weird.

Ribs

#196 Post by Ribs » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:45 am

Costa wrote:What can we expect from this Universal deal? What does it have that it doesn't want them and will licence to others?
Also, what other label has a Universal deal?

(I'm blind concerning rights etc.)
Indicator has its niche, which is generally similar to Kino's if a bit more skewed towards the 60s-80s in particular- we can expect them to handle titles that are generally similar to what they've put out in the past, but inclusive of the Universal library which (a lot like Sony) has been somewhat explored around the world but nowhere near raided fully. A title I can easily imagine coming that seems totally up Indicator's alley is Melvin and Howard, for one. This first set of titles is very encouraging to me because unlike the Sony releases it's pretty much out of the gate with titles that haven't made it out in the US yet (it took the Columbia titles a few months to reach that point with much frequency).
Last edited by Ribs on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#197 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:45 am

That sounds like an individual player issue to me, I’m afraid: I’m not aware of this happening to anyone else. Obviously, I’d be very keen to know if I’m wrong, because these discs really should be universally compatible.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#198 Post by Drucker » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:51 am

Yep. Just bad luck on my part. Very disappointing though as I've never had a compatibility issue with a boutique label.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#199 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:25 am

I have the same player as Drucker and haven't had an issue playing Indicator titles.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#200 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:30 am

Hint for next month: