Arrow Films

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Cronenfly

Re: Arrow Films

#1301 Post by Cronenfly » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:22 am

ianungstad wrote:Arrow has been releasing Lakeshore titles in both the US/UK. The US Clive Barker announcement this week is almost certainly going to be the Hellraiser films.
Seems likely to me. Vanilla Blus of the first two films from Image seem to still be in print (or at least available from Amazon), but that may well not be an issue.

Arrow seems to have plundered Lakeshore's holdings pretty well, certainly of the titles Lakeshore controls outright/that might appeal to them. All I can see from Lakeshore's website that they might still want to pick up are Heathers (which, again, looks to still be available from Image as a barebones release), The Music of Chance (which would be a bit of an outlier for Arrow, and I have no idea if someone else holds the rights already or not), and maybe Tuff Turf (if they really want to double down on former Anchor Bay releases/Spader's back catalogue).

A bit worrisome, then, since Lakeshore has been a major supplier of titles for Arrow US thus far. Here's hoping there are some fresh deals in the pipeline...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1302 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:26 am

I'm still holding out for Sister Sister, and it's certainly a title that seems right up Arrow's alley

Cronenfly

#1303 Post by Cronenfly » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:30 am

Absolutely! How have I never heard of this one...And from Bill Condon, no less.

ianungstad

#1304 Post by ianungstad » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:31 am

There's plenty of fuel left in the Lakeshore/New World library. Just off the top of my head:

Re-Animator
House/House 2
PIN
Elvira Mistress of the Dark
Dead Heat
Lust in the Dust
Heathers
Crime Story
Mountaintop Motel Massacre
Children of the Corn I-III

dwk

#1305 Post by dwk » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:06 am

Re-Animator isn't a Lakeshore/New World title. The rights are with Brian Yuzna, who has a relationship with Arrow, but I imagine that Image's license has a number of years left on it (although, if the Lakeshore titles are sublicensed by Image to Arrow, then it is possible that they could/would do the same with Re-Animator.)

What A Disgrace

#1306 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:49 pm

Knowing now that booklets are being excluded from future printings of older Arrow titles, I purchased ten of them during the sale with hopes of catching them before the booklets disappeared (Nightmare City, Eaten Alive, Night of the Comet, Deranged, Contamination, The Car, The Stuff, Deadly Blessing, The People Under the Stairs, Zardoz). Only The People... came without the booklet.

chatterjees

#1307 Post by chatterjees » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:40 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:Only The People... came without the booklet.
This could be a packaging problem. You should contact Arrow to get a copy of the booklet. I am just having hard time to imagine that the first print of The People under the Stairs got sold out, and currently the title is on a second print.

Ribs

#1308 Post by Ribs » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:02 pm

They reprint the cover to not mention the booklet as well, so you can just check that too.

What A Disgrace

#1309 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:09 pm

The booklet is not listed on the back of the case (nor on Arrow's site), so I assume its simply one of the titles that is no longer being released with a booklet. It is the highest profile title I bought, so I am not surprised its the one without. I was very pleased about the others, though - many were listed without their respective booklets on Arrow's site, but they do indeed include them, and they are mentioned on their respective package.

rapta

#1310 Post by rapta » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:13 am

Yeah, generally the more recent the title the more likely you'll get a booklet, but some releases from a few years ago still will have booklets because the print-run was higher. Things like The People Under the Stairs - as well as The Beyond, Phenomena, City of the Living Dead - generally aren't going to have booklets since they're probably on their last print-run (they've even got rid of discs on some of them). You'd have to cross your fingers or locate a copy in-store to secure a booklet for those titles, unfortunately.

I had my own experience of having to locate a booklet for Hard to Be a God. I was lucky I found one because apparently the stock available online via Arrow, HMV and Amazon are all the new print-run (so no booklet). I also panic-bought Inferno on eBay a few months ago to make sure I had a booklet since I wasn't sure the current stock definitely included it or not.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1311 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:40 am

I don't think the booklets in older releases are limited though?

Dr Amicus

#1312 Post by Dr Amicus » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 am

I got Zombie Flesh Eaters in the last but one sale - and that is now booklet-less.

Cronenfly

#1313 Post by Cronenfly » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:24 am

January releases to be announced this Friday, per Facebook. Warning was given that this will be a light month, and from the looks of the picture they posted (a person's back full of yakuza-looking tattoos) it seems fair to expect a Miike release of some kind (my money is on the Dead or Alive trilogy, based on the picture plus past speculation by dwk in this thread in July).

MichaelB

#1314 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:49 am

January has always been a light month, so this isn't any kind of break with tradition.

Cronenfly

#1315 Post by Cronenfly » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:23 pm

It's quite a full/ambitious December slate now, too, especially with Hellraiser in the mix. I always assume that December will be a lower-key/"holiday" month for most labels (as has traditionally been the case for Criterion, say), but January makes sense too.

rapta

#1316 Post by rapta » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:45 pm

I'm not complaining - got plenty to catch up on this year (including at least two Academy box sets)!

dwk

#1317 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:14 am

Looks like the Miike release is going to be The Black Society Trilogy

Ribs

#1318 Post by Ribs » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:42 am

Latest update:

MichaelB

#1319 Post by MichaelB » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:46 pm

I'm pleasantly surprised about the Taviani sales given the near-total lack of reviews. Aside from Sight & Sound's double-page rave, have there been many other reviews of the discs, as opposed to just the films?

rapta

#1320 Post by rapta » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:12 pm

I'd love to get the Taviani set, and do plan on getting it after The Human Condition and Dekalog (and will unfortunately have to miss out on Yoshida and Rivette by the looks of things).

Talking of the Kieslowski set, I wonder why it's not on the LE update...too soon to tell? I guess it's not actually released until Monday.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1321 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:13 pm

I don't think it is limited

Ribs

#1322 Post by Ribs » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:29 pm

No, it is; the initial announcement and detailed specs breakdown mentioned it. Same with the Allen sets. I just don't think they're moving at great speed that they expect it to be worth reporting it until well after release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1323 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:00 pm

Two weak months in a row for Arrow. Only in for the final Allen set. Good for my wallet, but not a promising start to the year

What A Disgrace

#1324 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:54 pm

Its odd how the usually weak January slate seems both bigger and more exciting than the February slate, where they promised to kick things back up to full speed. I guess they were talking about the third Woody Allen set, but even there, the excitement I have for it is excitement for something that was confirmed nearly half a year ago. Pulse is fresher on my mind than this! Definitely getting it, of course, plus Tower of London and Woody Allen volume 3. Might get Willie Dynamite and We Are the Flesh during a sale later on.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1325 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Yeah, not terribly exciting, but not good for my wallet either. :?