domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Arrow Films

#1276 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:46 am

If so, it won't be a US release due to Well Go putting out the box here

rapta

#1277 Post by rapta » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:26 pm

I reckon Arrow will do a box set but I'd be happy with just the first one (and maybe the sequel). No doubt will be a limited box set affair with no booklet in any reissues, which is a shame, but there you go! At least we're getting these in the UK. Will Abrams appear in the extras I wonder? Coscarelli came over here recently I believe.

Other good news from Arrow's end, albeit Arrow Films rather than Arrow Video: they're apparently planning to release both Koreeda's After the Storm and Filho's Aquarius on Blu-ray (presumably after a theatrical release for one or both). They confirmed to me on Facebook soon after I asked. Great news, especially in regards to Filho whose previous film, Neighbouring Sounds, was DVD-only from AE.

Professor Wagstaff

#1278 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:30 pm

The Phantasm II blu-ray from Scream Factory is still out there. Wouldn't be surprised if the collected all the films together for a set.

Ribs

#1279 Post by Ribs » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:46 am

NEW ANNOUNCEMENTS ARE COMING Join us on Friday the 9th at 4pm BST /8am PST /11am EST for our December title reveals
And, of course, there should be a sale coming up any day now as well.

chatterjees

#1280 Post by chatterjees » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:58 pm

Not sure where to post this question, so I am going to ask here. Where does the manufacturing and packaging of Arrow Video US happen, here in USA or in UK and then they get imported? I usually buy my Arrow goodies from either amazon-UK or from Arrow directly. For the first time, I bought couple of items from B&N as they are having a 50% off sale. In both cases, the Blu-Ray or Dual format stickers are directed pasted on the front plastic cover, not on the plastic wrap. Hence, I had to spent considerable amount of time trying to get rid of them. Unfortunate, I made a big mess in doing so. I hope they can start selling 14 mm transparent replacement cases soon in US. I am not sure whether that is a common happening with any of the US release, or its just me having bad luck.
The other issue I am having is that during this sale almost everything I want is temporarily out of stock. And, by their "temporary' I mean almost two weeks. I understand that BN probably doesn't stock a lot of Arrow goodies, but why did they even decide to have a 50% off sale if they are low on stock for almost every title (except for the pre-orders). I was eying for 5 items (in addition to the two I already purchased) including the Prison box set, but now I am just tired of checking their website everyday in anticipation of seeing those items getting back in stock. Does anybody know what's going on? Thanks.

zedz

#1281 Post by zedz » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:11 pm

chatterjees wrote:Not sure where to post this question, so I am going to ask here. Where does the manufacturing and packaging of Arrow Video US happen, here in USA or in UK and then they get imported? I usually buy my Arrow goodies from either amazon-UK or from Arrow directly. For the first time, I bought couple of items from B&N as they are having a 50% off sale. In both cases, the Blu-Ray or Dual format stickers are directed pasted on the front plastic cover, not on the plastic wrap. Hence, I had to spent considerable amount of time trying to get rid of them. Unfortunate, I made a big mess in doing so. I hope they can start selling 14 mm transparent replacement cases soon in US. I am not sure whether that is a common happening with any of the US release, or its just me having bad luck.
The other issue I am having is that during this sale almost everything I want is temporarily out of stock. And, by their "temporary' I mean almost two weeks. I understand that BN probably doesn't stock a lot of Arrow goodies, but why did they even decide to have a 50% off sale if they are low on stock for almost every title (except for the pre-orders). I was eying for 5 items (in addition to the two I already purchased) including the Prison box set, but now I am just tired of checking their website everyday in anticipation of seeing those items getting back in stock. Does anybody know what's going on? Thanks.
I have no inside knowledge, but I supported the Arrow US Kickstarter and get sent a copy of every Arrow US release, and every single one has been wrapped in plastic, with any stickers applied to the outer wrap, so it's not how Arrow US titles are supposed to come. It sounds like this is a B&N 'intervention'.

chatterjees

#1282 Post by chatterjees » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:18 pm

It sounds like this is a B&N 'intervention'
You mean they can open the seal and then reseal it? :roll:

krnash

#1283 Post by krnash » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:22 pm

chatterjees wrote:
It sounds like this is a B&N 'intervention'
You mean they can open the seal and then reseal it? :roll:
They have done it before with Criterion, I don't see why they couldn't do it with Arrow.

fdm

#1284 Post by fdm » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:25 pm

Maybe that's why they're 50% off.

Oh well, got shipment notice for Human Condition Trilogy earlier today, by the way.

chatterjees

#1285 Post by chatterjees » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:04 pm

fdm wrote:Oh well, got shipment notice for Human Condition Trilogy earlier today, by the way.
I got the email too, so there is a reason to be happy. I just wish to see some packaging pictures uploaded by them on FB. Two weeks is a long wait in this case.

dwk

#1286 Post by dwk » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:44 pm

chatterjees wrote:For the first time, I bought couple of items from B&N as they are having a 50% off sale. In both cases, the Blu-Ray or Dual format stickers are directed pasted on the front plastic cover, not on the plastic wrap.
What titles? I know this is a known issue with the Nikkatsu Diamond Guys Volume 2 release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1287 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:47 pm

Just checked and my copy does have it on the case itself, but it's not a BN rewrap job-- you can always tell from the cellophane

chatterjees

#1288 Post by chatterjees » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:07 pm

dwk wrote:
chatterjees wrote:For the first time, I bought couple of items from B&N as they are having a 50% off sale. In both cases, the Blu-Ray or Dual format stickers are directed pasted on the front plastic cover, not on the plastic wrap.
What titles? I know this is a known issue with the Nikkatsu Diamond Guys Volume 2 release.
You are right, that's one. The other one is Eaten Alive. Also, in case of Eaten Alive, the wrap was not the UK type, I mean it's not like where you can peel the thread and the wrap comes off in two parts. Its sealed in a common US style, where you can hold a corner and pull to tear.

Calvin

#1289 Post by Calvin » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:25 am

Does the Donnie Darko release indicate that Arrow have got their hands on some (now former) Metrodome titles? Only 101 Films were named as having acquired some when they went under, but I'd sorely love Arrow to give good treatment to Lukas Moodysson's films, Mommy, White God and The Grandmaster amongst others.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1290 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:27 am

An Arrow deluxe box of Moodysson's films would be a dream release

antnield

#1291 Post by antnield » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:34 am

Calvin wrote:Does the Donnie Darko release indicate that Arrow have got their hands on some (now former) Metrodome titles?
Donnie Darko has been in the works for a while. Nothing to do with Metrodome's demise.

rapta

#1292 Post by rapta » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:19 pm

antnield wrote:
Calvin wrote:Does the Donnie Darko release indicate that Arrow have got their hands on some (now former) Metrodome titles?
Donnie Darko has been in the works for a while. Nothing to do with Metrodome's demise.
Very interesting...did they just let that one go then? It seemed to be their most popular title!
Calvin wrote:Does the Donnie Darko release indicate that Arrow have got their hands on some (now former) Metrodome titles? Only 101 Films were named as having acquired some when they went under, but I'd sorely love Arrow to give good treatment to Lukas Moodysson's films, Mommy, White God and The Grandmaster amongst others.
I was hoping for things like Slacker and Chopper, personally, as well as plenty of more niche titles that may or may not be a good fit for Arrow Academy (or MoC).

colinr0380

#1293 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:36 am

I'd be more than happy to upgrade Chopper to Blu-ray, and there are already a lot of features from the Metrodome DVD that could be ported over: commentary, deleted scenes, the amazing weekend with Chopper Read piece, and so on. I guess any new disc can add in those Chopper commercials that aired on Australian television. The 'woman basher' commercial would be rather apt!

ianungstad

#1294 Post by ianungstad » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:46 pm

Does Arrow release sell sheets with their solicitations? I'm wondering if they licensed the US edition of Pulse from Magnolia Pictures?

dwk

#1295 Post by dwk » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:20 pm

ianungstad wrote:Does Arrow release sell sheets with their solicitations? I'm wondering if they licensed the US edition of Pulse from Magnolia Pictures?
They have a sales sheet on MVD's site, but it doesn't include any licensing info.

SSF

#1296 Post by SSF » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:13 pm

On their FB Page today:

"Birthday wishes are going out to Clive Barker!

US fans will want to keep an eye on our page this week for some exciting Clive Barker related news..."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1297 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:03 pm

Bet you anything it's Lord of Illusions (though watch it be Quicksilver Highway!)

EDIT: Nevermind, they said US fans, so can't be Lord of Illusions. Who has Candyman in the US? That's the only other one I can think of not already out in deluxe format.

ianungstad

#1298 Post by ianungstad » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:33 pm

Arrow has been releasing Lakeshore titles in both the US/UK. The US Clive Barker announcement this week is almost certainly going to be the Hellraiser films.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1299 Post by cdnchris » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:37 pm

I was thinking that, but might it only be 1 and 2? Isn't 3 owned by Dimension/Miramax/whoever in North America?

dwk

#1300 Post by dwk » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:56 pm

Sony has the US rights to Candyman (so a US release would probably be from Criterion, if we're lucky, or, most likely, Mill Creek or Twilight Time.)

And, yes, Hellraiser 3 is owned by Dimension in the US (frankly a set of the first two films with the bonus disc from the Scarlet Box would be better than the Scarlet Box because part 3 is awful.)