Arrow Films

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Jean-Luc Garbo

Re: Arrow Films

#51 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:15 pm

TonyleStephanois wrote:We are dealing with this so hopefully it won't be that long. Review copies are sent out ahead of the release date so they almost always have their review copies prior to release.
Thanks for the update. I just thought it was strange that a film getting good DVD reviews would get pushed back. I look forward to seeing for my own what you've done for this edition.

TonyleStephanois

#52 Post by TonyleStephanois » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:47 am

Jean-Luc Garbo

#53 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:57 am

I now have my copy of Martin! A report will follow, but let's just say that I'm quite happy with the packaging and the extras look like great fun.

Finch

#54 Post by Finch » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:14 pm

Tony, is it true that you guys are prepping the first Mario Bava Blu-Ray with Bay of Blood aka Twitch of the Death Nerve? There's a thread on Cult Labs.com reporting a Sept 22 date. If true, I'd like to put in a plea for 1080p releases of Kill Baby Kill and Black Sabbath, assuming Arrow has the UK rights for those (unsure what's been happening with Anchor Bay of late?).

Jean-Luc Garbo

#55 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:16 am

I watched Martin again two weeks ago and still enjoyed it immensely. I don't know if it counts as a postmodern vampire flick, but Romero's treatment of it works. I look forward to the Italian cut of the film next. Anyway, major kudos to Arrow Films for the swag. The poster, postcards, and alternate cover look great. The printing is quality and the paper is good. I was surprised to have little extras like these in the first place, but Arrow made it worth the effort. It's a lovely treatment of an excellent movie.

TonyleStephanois

#56 Post by TonyleStephanois » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:39 pm

Finch wrote:Tony, is it true that you guys are prepping the first Mario Bava Blu-Ray with Bay of Blood aka Twitch of the Death Nerve?
Yes it's true, release date subject to change at this point but details should be coming soon, will update when the details are pinned down.
Finch wrote:If true, I'd like to put in a plea for 1080p releases of Kill Baby Kill and Black Sabbath, assuming Arrow has the UK rights for those (unsure what's been happening with Anchor Bay of late?).
That would be great, but it's not on the cards right now.
Arthur Bannister wrote:Is this new Spirits release Blu-Ray only or will there be an SD version as well?
At the moment it's blu-ray only, though if demand is strong enough for an SD version we will certainly consider it.
Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Anyway, major kudos to Arrow Films for the swag. The poster, postcards, and alternate cover look great. The printing is quality and the paper is good. I was surprised to have little extras like these in the first place, but Arrow made it worth the effort. It's a lovely treatment of an excellent movie.
Thanks very much, we're really pleased with it and all the other Romero's. As with all the Arrow Video titles the level of extras are fairly standard - Inferno will be quite similar. I'll post specs tomorrow.
Arthur Bannister wrote:But that's not the same as the restored/remastered Toby Dammit SD which was previously announced and now seems to have been supplanted by this Blu-Ray release, right? Sorry for the confusion but I'm asking for a friend who preordered Toby Dammit only to have it switched to the Spirits Blu. (His emails to Arrow have gotten no response.)
That's right, it's not the same as the new Spirits of the Dead. The new blu-ray version comes from a new HD restoration from the original negative and presents Toby Dammit with Stamp's original English audio, an alternative English audio option for Metzengerstein as well as a few more things I don't want to leak just yet til they're completely pinned down - will post specs as soon as they are available. Nonetheless this release is a significant improvement over the previous release. We felt that it would have been great to do Fellini's segment only and make this a Fellini driven release but with the HD restoration we couldn't really pass up the opportunity to revisit the whole film.

What email address is your friend using Arthur, almost all emails come to me and I haven't seen anything? Tell him to email info [at] arrowfilms.co.uk and I will answer any questions he may have.

Arthur Bannister

#57 Post by Arthur Bannister » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:21 am

Thanks for the info, Tony. This is exactly what my friend was wanting to know. He won't be happy, though, since he's not Blu-capable. I'm not sure what email address he was using, but I'll certainly pass this one along.

Finch

#58 Post by Finch » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:27 pm

TonyleStephanois wrote:
Finch wrote:If true, I'd like to put in a plea for 1080p releases of Kill Baby Kill and Black Sabbath, assuming Arrow has the UK rights for those (unsure what's been happening with Anchor Bay of late?).
That would be great, but it's not on the cards right now.
Do Arrow have the rights though?

TonyleStephanois

#59 Post by TonyleStephanois » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:07 am

Inferno specs:

After the box office smash Suspiria comes this second mind scrambling instalment of the ‘Three Mothers’ trilogy, a psychedelic trip into gut wrenching horror. Join master of terror Dario Argento as he takes you inside a world of surreal fear and bloody violence!

As a brother and sister delve into a series of gruesome New York murders it soon becomes clear that the devil is at work. A coven of witches are abroad and they bring murder, death and escalating insanity with them…

Get fired up for one of the masterpieces of Euro-Horror… Get ready for INFERNO!

Blu-ray

THIS AMAZING 30th ANNIVERSARY EDITION CONTAINS:
- Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned art work
- Double-sided fold-out poster
- Collector’s Booklet featuring brand new writing on Inferno by Alan Jones, author of Profondo Argento
BLU-RAY DISC 1 CONTAINS:
- Brand new restoration of the film, available fully uncut for the first time in the UK
- High Definition Presentation of the film (1080p)
- Optional 5.1 DTS / Stereo / Mono audio
- Choice of original Italian and English audio
BLU-RAY DISC 1 – SPECIAL FEATURES:
- Introduction by star Daria Nicolodi (1080p)
- Dario’s Inferno (1080p)
- Acting in Hot Water: An Interview with Daria Nicolodi (1080p)
- The Other Mother: Making the Black Cat - Director Luigi Cozzi goes behind the scenes of The Black Cat, his rarely seen, totally unofficial, 1989 sequel to Inferno (1080p)
- Inferno Q&A with Irene Miracle, Keith Emerson and Tim Lucas [Blu-ray exclusive] (1080p)
- X marks the spot (1080p)
DVD DISC 2 – SPECIAL FEATURES:
- Dario Argento and Lamberto Bava on Inferno
- 'Dario Argento: An Eye for Horror' Mark Kermode narrates this documentary on Argento’s career including interviews with George A. Romero and John Carpenter
- The Complete Dario Argento Trailer Gallery [18 films]

DVD

SPECIAL FEATURES:
THIS AMAZING 30th ANNIVERSARY EDITION CONTAINS:
- Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned art work
- Double-sided fold-out poster
- Collector’s Booklet featuring brand new writing on Inferno by Alan Jones, author of Profondo Argento
DISC 1 CONTAINS:
- Brand new restoration of the film, available fully uncut for the first time in the UK
- Optional 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround / Stereo / Mono audio
- Choice of original Italian and English audio
DISC 1 – SPECIAL FEATURES:
- Introduction by star Daria Nicolodi
- Dario’s Inferno
- Acting in Hot Water: An Interview with Daria Nicolodi
- The Other Mother: Making the Black Cat - Director Luigi Cozzi goes behind the scenes of The Black Cat, his rarely seen, totally unofficial, 1989 sequel to Inferno
- X marks the spot
DISC 2 – SPECIAL FEATURES:
- Dario Argento and Lamberto Bava on Inferno
- 'Dario Argento: An Eye for Horror' Mark Kermode narrates this documentary on Argento’s career including interviews with George A. Romero and John Carpenter
- The Complete Dario Argento Trailer Gallery [18 films]

TonyleStephanois

#60 Post by TonyleStephanois » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:10 am

For anyone near Cheltenham, we are working with the Cheltenham Film Festival on a three day programme of some highlights from our catalogue which will be shown along with one forthcoming title:

1st October:
Departures
Cinema Paradiso
The Conformist
Battle Royale

2nd October:
Bicycle Thieves
Rififi
Like Water for Chocolate
City of the Living Dead + Day of the Dead Double Bill

3rd October:
Ashes & Diamonds
Pauline at the Beach
The Exterminating Angel
Fear Eats the Soul
Insomnia

TonyleStephanois

#61 Post by TonyleStephanois » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:41 am

Our latest sale is live and product specs are up for new releases Dawn of the Dead DVD, Day of the Dead DVD, Jaguar Lives! DVD, Inferno BD and DVD.

Ovader

#62 Post by Ovader » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:08 pm

TonyleStephanois wrote:Our latest sale is live and product specs are up for new releases Dawn of the Dead DVD, Day of the Dead DVD, Jaguar Lives! DVD, Inferno BD and DVD.
Anyone has their Denys Arcand Double: Love & Human Remains & Jesus of Montreal and offer a review of the DVD transfers?

antnield

#63 Post by antnield » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:16 pm

I reviewed these a few years back:

Jesus of Montreal
Love and Human Remains

manicsounds

#64 Post by manicsounds » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:00 am

Jaguar Lives!!! If everyone hasn't seen the trailer for this one yet, you must! John Huston, Donald Pleasance, Barbara Bach, and Capuccine in the same movie with Joe Lewis (who didn't become the next Bruce Lee as they anticipated)? You better believe it.

colinr0380

#65 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:12 am

Not to mention Joseph Wiseman and Woody Strode! The makers of that film certainly did their utmost to surround Joe Lewis with a name supporting cast. Here's the trailer on YouTube, obviously taken from the third volume of Synapse's 42nd Street Forever series since there is a brief clip of the previous film on the disc, The One-Armed Executioner at the very start!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonyleStephanois

#66 Post by TonyleStephanois » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:32 am

Inferno reviews are up at 10k Bullets, Twitch.

I don't think Twitch really watched all the extras, glossing over the 30 minute HD interview with Tim Lucas, Irene Miracle and Keith Emerson and just mentioning the Easter Egg exists, which they don't note is 5 minutes long and HD....

Der Spieler

#67 Post by Der Spieler » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:58 pm

Hey folks!

Does anyone know if the Arrow box set of Romero's Dead Trilogy is region locked?

Thanks!

accatone

#68 Post by accatone » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:09 pm

The Box (actually printed on the discs) says R2.

otis

#69 Post by otis » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:56 am

Duncan Hopper

#70 Post by Duncan Hopper » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:15 am

Arrow are releasing Bava's Bay of Blood on blu November 2nd.
Hopefully there's more Bava to come.

Ashirg

#71 Post by Ashirg » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:18 am

Mondo Digital on Inferno

mikkelmark

#72 Post by mikkelmark » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:34 am

Land of Whimsy doesnt agree with Beaver and Mondos praising reviews, says no grain due to DNR and colors are incorrect.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#73 Post by cdnchris » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:57 am

Finch

#74 Post by Finch » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:34 pm

The BBFC have passed Arrow's upcoming release of Profundo Rosso with no cuts

manicsounds

#75 Post by manicsounds » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:59 pm

Does TOEI know that Battle Royale is being released region free? Or should we keep it hush hush from them....?