Arrow Films

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Cash Flagg

Re: Arrow Films

#226 Post by Cash Flagg » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:14 am

Feego wrote:Speaking of which, if you need an 80s cover art fix, this website is a must. Click on the video company logos for an orgy of wonderful/terrible VHS art!
VHS Wasteland is also a great source for obscure video-store oddities.

perkizitore

#227 Post by perkizitore » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:15 pm

antnield

#228 Post by antnield » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:26 am

In September 2011 Arrow Video's kid brother Arrowdrome launches with a slice of cult films in new editions.
First up: Paul Naschy's The Man With the Severed Head and McBain with Christopher Walken.

TMDaines

#229 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:05 am

Arrow's Il Generale della Rovere looks excellent for anyone who hasn't imported the Criterion or Minerva Classic yet, such a shame they didn't make a Blu-ray like the French.

TonyleStephanois

#230 Post by TonyleStephanois » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:50 am

Any selected 3 Blu-rays for £35.

Titles include:

A Bay of Blood
Caligula
City of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Deep Red
Inferno
Phenomena
Tenebrae
The Beyond
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
Vamp

Duncan Hopper

#231 Post by Duncan Hopper » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:39 am

Arrow also lose their stock as a result of London riots.
It is most unfortunate that rioting has broken out in Enfield and the Sony DADC, Enfield distribution centre was looted and set on fire. Thankfully no staff were harmed in this atrocious attack on the plant but it does mean all Arrow stock, and the stock of many other distributors is now no more. We are working with Sony DADC and our partners to find a solution for getting stock back in stores very soon. What is with existing retailers is all that will be available for the moment and new releases such as Midnight and the forthcoming ArrowDrome titles will surely be affected. We thank you for your understanding through this difficult time and will update with news of the availability of Arrow stock as it is available."

MichaelB

#232 Post by MichaelB » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:06 am

I can't speak for Arrow, but I confirmed with the BFI that the losses only affect stock, not masters, so it is all ultimately replaceable - and presumably covered by insurance. Obviously, this will cause short-term supply difficulties, though.

TonyleStephanois

#233 Post by TonyleStephanois » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:54 am

Thankfully all our masters are safe so we are just in the process of arranging for stock to be repressed which hopefully shouldn't cause too much of a delay.

TonyleStephanois

#234 Post by TonyleStephanois » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:51 am

Poetry

Special Features:
- High Definition presentation of the film with DTS-HD Master Audio
- Audio commentary with director Lee Chang-dong and critic Kim Young-jin
- The Making of Poetry
- Onset with Lee Chang-dong and Yun Jeong-hie
- The Legendary Actress: Yun Jeong-hie
- Interview with Nae-sang Ahn
- Korean Theatrical Trailer, UK Theatrical Trailer

Region ABC
RRP £19.99
Released 28/11/11

Also on DVD
Last edited by TonyleStephanois on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#235 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:14 am

Fantastic. That makes all Lee Chang-dong's features available in the UK (apart from Secret Sunshine which of course is out on the excellent Criterion edition).

What A Disgrace

#236 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:31 am

Glad I didn't buy the Kino!

bsmit

#237 Post by bsmit » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:48 am

Yep, same here. Very much looking forward to this release and am excited to see a Lee Chang-dong audio commentary.

manicsounds

#238 Post by manicsounds » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:57 am

Excellent. I only wish Criterion put Lee's commentary on Secret Sunshine (they skipped a lot of extras from the Korean DVD)

JamesF

#239 Post by JamesF » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:23 am

Russ Meyer's Europe In The Raw passed by the BBFC. Very interested to hear in what form this gets released, since Arrow's Meyer boxset was one of my favourite purchases last year (especially for the £18 Amazon were selling it for at the time).

TMDaines

#241 Post by TMDaines » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:06 pm

perkizitore wrote:My only worry is that if you cram two versions on one blu-ray,the bitrate will be too low therefore making the PQ suffer.
If it's on a BD50 the number of people who could even notice the difference between the two possible bitrates would be negligible. The number of people who would even really gain a noticable benefit from it during normal viewing conditions would be even less.

Five hours between the two versions is quite a lot but the bitrate I wouldn't worry about too much. There are plenty of stunning releases on BD25 disks.

TonyleStephanois

#242 Post by TonyleStephanois » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:47 am

OK, some news/info:

Ashes and Diamonds
This release has been incorrectly pressed as region B, not our mistake, so we're replacing all the discs so those with retailers will be region free as initially intended. Hopefully this won't cause [too much of] a delay.

The Tin Drum
Our intention is not to encode both films on one blu-ray, rather just the director's cut with seamless branching for the theatrical cut. Since the masters are essentially the same as Schlöndorff approved the restoration of the theatrical cut first and then the restoration of the additional scenes and their editing into the director's cut, with seamless branching there will be no viewing difference, apart from the slight grading change between the versions but then this is inherent to the material. We're testing this so it isn't the be all and end all of the disc - just keeping you in the loop.

Any questions, feel free to throw 'em over.

Der Spieler

#243 Post by Der Spieler » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:22 pm

Arrow Academy is shaping up to be a great little collection!

Wish they all could be region-unlocked like 'Ashes' and 'Diabolique'.

antnield

#244 Post by antnield » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:08 pm

Arrow Academy: Miracle in Milan [Dual Format]

Released: 26 Mar 2012

Overview: After his earth shattering Bicycle Thieves, Vittorio De Sica and long time screenwriter Cesare Zavattini turned their neo-realist ideas to something much more like a fable yet retaining the core ideas behind the revolutionary cinema movement. Miracle in Milan went on to wow critics and audiences, winning the Grand Prize of the Cannes Film Festival in 1951.

Always in the shadow of the ever more popular Bicycle Thieves, this largely unsung masterpiece tends toward magic realism to imagine a place where society’s most downtrodden can find purchase and possible escape from misery. Set within a fantastically theatrical shantytown, Miracle in Milan constructs an alternate world from De Sica and Zavattini’s fascination with marginalised perspectives. The unusual use of deliberate artifice and spectacle rekindles the Meliesian magical aura of early cinema.

Arrow Academy is pleased to present a new HD transfer of the film along with De Sica’s Il Tetto in this deluxe edition.

SPECIAL FEATURES:
- High Definition Blu-ray and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the film
- Full length feature: Il Tetto [The Roof], Vittorio De Sica’s 1956 film also written by Zavattini, made available for the first time in the UK on DVD
- Newly translated and more complete optional English subtitles on both features
- Interview with Manuel De Sica
- Interview with star Brunella Bovo
- Rome Premiere Newsreel Footage
- Original Trailer
- Comprehensive booklet including writing on Miracle in Milan and Il Tetto, a re-print of John Maddison’s 1951 article The Case of De Sica, illustrated with original stills and artwork.

TMDaines

#245 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:28 pm

That's funny. When I saw that Arrow was announcing new titles this week I said to myself that Miracle in Milan might well be there. Wow, what a package. Looks like I can pass on my Australian Il tetto too. I didn't like Miracle in Milan too much the first time I saw it but this will make me give it another try.

Perkins Cobb

#246 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:30 pm

I guess that explains why the Miracle in Milan DVD in my Amazon cart dropped from about £9 to £4 last week. Glad I didn't bite.

Il Tetto is pretty rare, so that'll really make this worthwhile.

eerik

#247 Post by eerik » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:29 pm

I have the Italian Blu-ray of Miracle in Milan, which looks quite bad. I hope this will be better.

ellipsis7

#248 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:51 pm

It probably will be the same HD master, I guess... I understand the BICYCLE THIEVES Arrow BR was only so so, from the reviews... But maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised... IL TETTO is a pretty interesting extra, a late neo-realist De Sica/Zavattini comedy based on the following premise apparently (courtesy of IMDB)...

"Under provincial Italian law at the time, once a roof is erected, the occupants cannot be evicted from a building. This comedy follows the efforts of a family to erect the roof on a house overnight so that a newlywed couple can have their own home."

HJackson

#249 Post by HJackson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:17 am

Another excellent announcement. Good thing these releases include other covers though because, like RIFIFI and THE CONFORMIST, the custom artwork they've put together looks crap (nice image, ruined by a tacky looking typeface).

antnield

#250 Post by antnield » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:07 am

Arrow Video: Forbidden Zone [Limited Edition Blu-ray]

Released: 07 May 2012

Step into The Forbidden Zone, a bizarro world of frog butlers, topless princesses, machine-gun toting teachers, eccentric dwarves, their demonic wives, and the Devil himself (Danny Elfman). You’ve never seen anything like it...!

Check your basement. Is there door to the 6th Dimension there? If so, you’re going on a wild ride into excess as you join Frenchy and Rene in a land of musical madness, despotic queens and strange frog man-servants.

If you’ve tired of Rocky Horror and had enough of Hedwig, it’s time discover The Forbidden Zone, a demented tribute to the hot jazz and dark glamour of a lost age, featuring new wave pop music and Cab Calloway-style insanity, filtered through the mind of a maniac!

THIS EDITION CONTAINS:
- Reversible sleeve with 3 original poster artworks and newly commissioned artwork cover
- Double-sided fold-out artwork poster
- Collector’s booklet featuring writing on the film by critic David Hayles

BLU-RAY CONTAINS:
- Brand new High Definition restoration of the Black and White and Colour versions of the film
- Optional 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio / LPCM Uncompressed Mono Audio
- Optional English SDH subtitles

SPECIAL FEATURES:
- Audio commentary with director Richard Elfman and writer-actor Matthew Bright
- A Look into Forbidden Zone – extensive behind the scenes documentary featuring interviews and archive footage, including scenes from Elfman’s lost film The Hercules Family
- Two complete scenes from The Hercules Family
- Outtakes
- Deleted Scenes
- Oingo Boingo Music Video Private Life
- Original Theatrical Trailer

Artwork by Jeff Zornow
Original Aspect Ratio 1.78:1
Region ABC
Arrow Video: The King of New York [Limited Edition SteelBook Blu-ray]

Released: 04 Jun 2012

Christopher Walken is out of prison and back on the dirty streets of New York as convicted drug lord Frank White in a pitch black 90s crime classic from the magnificently disreputable Abel Ferrara (Driller Killer, Ms.45).

White returns to his old patch to find it in disarray as the parasites that moved in to capture his business don’t share in the same Robin Hood spirit. Soon he’s violently taking out the competition, stealing their stashes and turning a healthy profit on the gear, putting it towards building a new South Bronx hospital.

But you can’t make an omelette without breaking some heads. As the street killings rise and the corrupt cops close in, White’s crazed mix of criminal psychosis and heartfelt charity threatens to tear apart everything he’s fought so hard to build...

SPECIAL FEATURES:
- Limited Edition collectable SteelBook packaging
- Collector’s booklet featuring writing on the film by Brad Stevens, author of Abel Ferrara: The Moral Vision
- High Definition Presentation of the film
- Optional 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 Stereo Audio
- Audio commentary with director Abel Ferrara
- Audio commentary with composer Joe Delia, producer Mary Kane, casting director Randy Sabusawa and editor Anthony Redman
- Interview with producer Augusto Caminito
- Abel Ferrara: Not Guilty: Documentary on Abel Ferrara from the French TV show Cinéastes de Notre Temps + More special features to be announced!

Artwork by Tom 'The Dude Designs' Hodge
Original Aspect Ratio 1.78:1
Region TBC