Arrow Wish List

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Big Ben

Re: Arrow Wish List

#401 Post by Big Ben » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:39 pm

Cronenfly wrote:This UK release of The Great Silence from Digital Classics has a few extras featuring Alex Cox, is anamorphic, and has English as well as Italian audio, but looks now to be OOP. I've only glanced at my copy, but I think it is a fairly competent release/your best bet (if you can find it affordably) until Arrow or whoever else gives it the deluxe treatment.
It's a bit much for this American to spend right now but I'm pleased that it exists. My hope is that more Corbucci is restored and released in the near future and judging from rapta's comments it doesn't sound all that far-fetched.

rapta said previously that The Great Silence is a bit tied up rights wise which is a damn shame. Does anyone know just how complicated the rights issues are?

rapta

#402 Post by rapta » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:24 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Cronenfly wrote:This UK release of The Great Silence from Digital Classics has a few extras featuring Alex Cox, is anamorphic, and has English as well as Italian audio, but looks now to be OOP. I've only glanced at my copy, but I think it is a fairly competent release/your best bet (if you can find it affordably) until Arrow or whoever else gives it the deluxe treatment.
It's a bit much for this American to spend right now but I'm pleased that it exists. My hope is that more Corbucci is restored and released in the near future and judging from rapta's comments it doesn't sound all that far-fetched.

rapta said previously that The Great Silence is a bit tied up rights wise which is a damn shame. Does anyone know just how complicated the rights issues are?
To be fair, I did ask Arrow about 2 or 3 years ago now so things may have changed since then, but it doesn't look great if 88 Films are starting to release Corbucci titles. That said, you could argue if 88 did have it they would've announced it first, before things like The Mercenary and Navajo Joe (the latter especially being a particularly 'lesser' Corbucci). Anyway, besides rights it could be that the materials available are difficult to track down - the film is famously hard to get hold of in any great condition, even now. Hopefully there are enough forces at work to track down elements to get it restored, and they'd be wise to get Alex Cox involved as well (being one of his most favourite films, and knowing so much about the genre in general too).

Have actually been discussing Italian titles over on Blu-ray.com with a few others, and as it stands it looks slightly more likely Arrow may have got Sollima's Death Rides a Horse, which for me would be equally great news (these two films being some of my favourite of the genre outside of Leone's work). Apparently a representative for Kino has been saying somebody else has the US rights to it, and some have been theorising that Arrow might have acquired rights for both territories and have been restoring the film (or waiting on a restoration of it at least). Fran Simeoni of Arrow has said they have 'a staggering amount' of Italian titles coming out next year, and though he doesn't go into specific films or genres, that will certainly mean more gialli, poliziotteschi, and Spaghetti Westerns (and for Academy, hopefully some Petri or more Rosi). Hopefully even a Bava or two as well!

ianungstad

#403 Post by ianungstad » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:49 pm

88 Films just picked up the Corbucci MGM titles. In North America Navajo Joe was licensed to Kino and The Mercenary was licensed to some outfit called TGG Direct who've been packaging MGM films into double and triple features for budget dvd releases.

knives

#404 Post by knives » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:27 pm

domino harvey wrote:I think Fox Lorber had a couple
Wellspring and New Yorker seems to hold the whole lot.

ikms

Re: Dekalog and Other Television Works

#405 Post by ikms » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:14 pm

Ribs wrote:So if this *is* a surprise huge hit mega-seller, are there any obvious "sequel sets" that Arrow might be pursuing? I'm hard-pressed to think of anything similar they could theoretically follow this up with.
Berlin Alexanderplatz would probably be the closest in scope (and 25fps vs 24fps all over again!). Heimat. Riget (aka The Kingdom, all 8 episodes) though of course that was shot on SD PAL video, though in that case I prefer the look of the copies telecined from the desaturated theatrical release (Japanese VHS copy here). In terms of films, the Europa Trilogy by Lars Von Trier would be huge, and the pre-Hollywood films of Paul Verhoeven (the old Anchor Bay DVDs) would be a welcome upgrade.

Ribs

#406 Post by Ribs » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:22 pm

Cronenfly wrote:
Ribs wrote:So if this *is* a surprise huge hit mega-seller, are there any obvious "sequel sets" that Arrow might be pursuing? I'm hard-pressed to think of anything similar they could theoretically follow this up with.
As far as I know most of the other Kieslowski titles are still tied up with Artificial Eye, so I truly cannot imagine another set from Arrow that would replicate the seeming success of this one. As Michael mentions in the KKTV extra, and probably elsewhere in this very thread, there are no other Polish TV series that have been released theatrically on an international basis as this one was, and certainly none that hold the cache of the Dekalog (whether in terms of commercial prospects, likelihood to be restored, or any other such important factors). Even if Arrow were to acquire some additional Kieslowski, I do not think any of his other work holds the same aura that this series does.

And this is probably clear to anyone who has read this far, but this is a beautiful set and well worth picking up if you have the ability to play it and the cash at hand. Don't delay.
I was looking for more of a spiritual sequel - obviously there are no immediate equivalents, but I'm just trying to estimate if there's any out-there ideas of what Arrow might go for next (if it actually sold out this quickly, they'd absolutely be on the lookout for this). There are a number of different angles to look at - obviously, Kieslowski's contemporaries in Poland (which he far eclipses in name recognition, so is probably not going to be on the table), but also (assuming they're being restored with the rest of his work) Fassbinder's TV work seems like an obvious set that fits Arrow Academy's background. They already did Out 1, of course, which is one of the other major filmmaker-doing-TV projects (though I know it wasn't actually made as such).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#407 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:30 pm

Ha, they should do The Wire in the correct aspect ratio.

What A Disgrace

#408 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:53 pm

I'm also at a loss for what could constitute as a 'sequel' to this boxed set, as a collection of Kieslowski's television works was itself such a complete and unprecedented surprise. Better to say, just keep up the good work in this direction - Taviani, Rivette, Fassbinder, and the Dekalog boxed sets are all amazing. And Human Condition is hardly a total loss - and those Allen sets, too! I'd like to see Arrow Academy tackle filmmakers less saleable even than Rivette or Borowczyk - the Kuchar brothers? Luc Moullet? Jon Jost? de Oliveira?

Ribs

#409 Post by Ribs » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:09 pm

Is Heimat something that *could* be reasonably released? Does anyone know if it's been restored in HD/what's up with the UK rights?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#410 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:18 pm

Recently restored, but rights are probably still with Second Sight.

rapta

#411 Post by rapta » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:25 pm

UK rights seem to be split between Second Sight and Artificial Eye, so until either label loses the rights I'm guessing we won't see a big box set. StudioCanal did release the first series on Blu-ray in Germany last year...wouldn't be surprised if there was a full restoration in the works though, especially after Home From Home coming out fairly recently.

Cronenfly

#412 Post by Cronenfly » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:23 pm

I know there has been some speculation in the Psychomania thread about former Severin titles potentially picked up by Arrow, which makes me wonder if they have Richard Stanley's Hardware. The Severin release looked pretty definitive to me, but it is a title which would fit pretty snugly into Arrow's slate as well, IMO, assuming the rights are/were up for grabs.

And on a Stanley-related side note: Colin has already provided an exhaustive write-up in the Severin thread, but I heartily recommend the documentary Lost Soul about Stanley's attempts to make The Island of Dr. Moreau. If you have seen/enjoyed stuff like Lost in La Mancha, Jodorowsky's Dune, and Hearts of Darkness, this is well worth your time (I watched it on Netflix but the Severin edition looks to be quite well-appointed extras-wise). Definitely flew under my radar, even though it's a production I've long been interested in hearing more about, and I was not disappointed!

rapta

#413 Post by rapta » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:09 am

Cronenfly wrote:I know there has been some speculation in the Psychomania thread about former Severin titles potentially picked up by Arrow, which makes me wonder if they have Richard Stanley's Hardware. The Severin release looked pretty definitive to me, but it is a title which would fit pretty snugly into Arrow's slate as well, IMO, assuming the rights are/were up for grabs.

And on a Stanley-related side note: Colin has already provided an exhaustive write-up in the Severin thread, but I heartily recommend the documentary Lost Soul about Stanley's attempts to make The Island of Dr. Moreau. If you have seen/enjoyed stuff like Lost in La Mancha, Jodorowsky's Dune, and Hearts of Darkness, this is well worth your time (I watched it on Netflix but the Severin edition looks to be quite well-appointed extras-wise). Definitely flew under my radar, even though it's a production I've long been interested in hearing more about, and I was not disappointed!
Hardware was released again by "Three Wolves Ltd" just last year (after the Optimum release went OOP), so I doubt Arrow have the rights.

Cronenfly

#414 Post by Cronenfly » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:45 am

It remains unaccounted for in the US, though. And on the basis of Psychomania, at least, the Severin pickups seem as though they might well be US-only anyways. And the Three Wolves looks to be OOP already as well (certainly the Blu does, and it was virtually barebones extras-wise), so the UK seems as though it might be possible too.

colinr0380

#415 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:40 pm

I've no idea about rights and so on, so this probably doesn't mean anything in terms of a UK home video release, but I remember Hardware being one of the few films funded by Rupert Murdochs British Sky Broadcasting company (now just Sky). That's probably one of the main reasons why Hardware has never appeared on British terrestrial television - presumably it regularly appears on Sky satellite channels instead! I remember being desperate to watch it all throughout my teenage years in the 90s but never getting the opportunity until that Severin Blu-ray in 2010!

rapta

#416 Post by rapta » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:57 pm

Cronenfly wrote:It remains unaccounted for in the US, though. And on the basis of Psychomania, at least, the Severin pickups seem as though they might well be US-only anyways. And the Three Wolves looks to be OOP already as well (certainly the Blu does, and it was virtually barebones extras-wise), so the UK seems as though it might be possible too.
Ah my mistake, didn't realise you meant for the US. Should have realised when you mentioned Psychomania!

And yes, I didn't notice the Three Wolves one is OOP too. I wonder why that is? Strange if they only had a 1 or 2 year license...I assumed most licenses were 5/10/15+ years? Or perhaps they didn't print enough.

You might be right though. Seems like the kind of cult film Arrow would be chasing.

Adam X

#417 Post by Adam X » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:23 am

Tom Clark (Rock! Shock! Pop! forums) wrote:Stanley was recently interviewed on Podcasting them Softly and got into the clusterfuck situation regarding the Dust Devil rights issues. The long/short of it is Stanley possesses all the hi-def masters but can't do anything with them because the studio is claiming worldwide ownership and is threatening legal action against anyone trying to put out both Dust Devil and Hardware.
Richard Stanley: an interview by Kent Hill (Oct 25, 2016)

36:35 is where that particular topic comes up but as always with Stanley the entire interview is a great listen.
The above is presumably why the UK & Severin's release of Hardware went out of print, and also the source of the legal entanglement that's preventing Severin from releasing their planned blu-ray of Dust Devil.
It's really an unfortunate situation with these two films - Richard Stanley seems to've had nothing but grief involved in any of the three studio films he's worked on, ever since their productions.

Cronenfly

#418 Post by Cronenfly » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:21 am

Damn, that sucks. For some reason I bought the DVD instead of the Blu of Severin's Hardware SE, which is too bad since other than lacking subs and having lossy audio the latter seemed to be pretty definitive. I was hoping I'd have another shot when/if Arrow got their mitts on it, but it would seem that is not to be. Hate it when there are awful rights tangles like this.

R0lf

#419 Post by R0lf » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:14 am

New Zealand gay bodice ripper DESPERATE REMEDIES has a new 4K restoration and would make a good fit for Arrow/MoC/Criterion.

https://www.aucklandlive.co.nz/show/des ... remastered" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

colinr0380

#420 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:31 pm

Desperate Remedies is definitely something I'd like to see again, in a better quality version from my old recorded from TV VHS tape! I looked out my previous post about the film which includes a link to the eye-popping trailer:
Premium Cable Staples thread wrote:All this early 90s talk reminds me of an eye-popping film from New Zealand that I think only turned up once on late night television in the UK but that was more than enough to sear it onto my memory - Desperate Remedies. Imagine a mash-up of 'strong minded' Gone With The Wind women, a Ken Russell opera film, Querelle, The Piano, Les Miserables, a French perfume commercial and a softcore erotic thriller and that comes close to describing the utterly deranged result. It's not exactly what I'd call a successful film, but it is certainly a strange and unique product, to say the least!

R0lf

#421 Post by R0lf » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:17 am

The director confirmed on his Twitter that there will be an NZ blu ray but I think it is a legitimately good movie and deserves an international release too!

Friends that I have shown it to also mention it as being Ken Russell-esque.