It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:02 pm 

I just finished watching The Dust of Time for the first time, and I was quite apalled by how weak, sometimes even cringeworthy boardering on self-parody, it was. It is easily his worst film after Reconstruction. It makes me kind of sad that this was to be his final film as I would have liked a great ending to his legacy.

Anyways, I'm sure it didn't help that the Artificial Eye transfer is beyond horrible. Very digital look, no grain and loads of edge enhancement. Really disappointing considering they could've made the ultimate collection. First The Hunters-gate, now this. Actually, I own the Greek "Audio Visual Entertainment" release of the film, however it doesn't have English subtitles, so count that as a mistake. BUT now I'll definitely backup the disc and add the subtitles from the AE release...

Below is a comparison (with screenshots from the DVDBeaver review) of the two DVDs, and of course you'll notice that the color scheme is very different (the AE has a drab greenish tinge that none of Angelopoulos' others film feature, so I believe the AVE to be more true to the cinematic presentation). Plus the AE is cropped badly. It it cannot be seen on the stills but in motion, grain is visible on the AVE. But the worst has got to be the edge enhancment which has a very digital and artificial look to it. In the screenshots below the AE looks sharper, but I believe that this to be artificially applied sharpening, as all of Angelopoulos' previous films, including The Weeping Meadow have had somewhat soft looks. I am very baffled as to why such a new movie can look so different, and AE's answer here should NOT be that they weren't able to find the film undamaged. To me their release looks like a bad digital SD transfer.

Can anybody who has seen this in the cinema confirm which of the color scheme is more correct? When I have the time I'll make a screen comparison in native resolution (the images below have been resized to 800px wide as the ones on Beaver), if anyone's interested.

AE:

AVE:

AE:

AVE:

AE:

AVE:

AE:

AVE:

AE:

AVE:

AE:

AVE:

AE:

AVE:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:13 am 

Stefan Andersson wrote:
A poster on the Angelopoulos thread on MUBI has commented on a 2004 Japanese DVD of The Hunters (Japanese subs only). According to him the DVD runs 172 mins. He checked it himself, didn´t just quote the DVD box. It´s maybe the DVD included in the box set here:
http://www.jpophelp.com/scripts/newsite ... showname=1

So now we have a Japanese DVD, plus the Chinese bootleg with (I assume) Chinese subs. I suppose the Japanese DVD might be identical to the Chinese. But the clips on YouTube lack subs, so maybe there are two sources.

That's the one (altough quite a bit cheaper on Amazon I think).
The Hunters screened in 35mm last month (as part of a bunch of Angelopolous retrospectives which are playng here and there around Tokyo). That was also advertised as 172 min. Missed it, but did manage to catch Alexander the Great instead.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:50 pm 

According to the Trigon website, the 168 minute version on "The Hunters" was the version shown
only at Cannes, the 144 minute version was re-cut by Angelopoulos later, and was his preferred
cut. No idea if this is true, but if so, then I'm less frustrated at my inability to find the longer cut.

Here's the not very good google translation from the site;

http://www.trigon-film.org/de/movies/Hunter

"There are circulating around various lengths of this film. Those with 167 minutes duration affects the version that ran in 1977 in the Cannes competition. This release was followed by Theo Angelopoulos shortened to 144 minutes, so that the 144-minute version of the trigon-film DVD corresponds to the final assembly of the filmmaker. It is his own favorite version, the "director's cut" if you want Sun - Theo Angelopoulos has worked on all of his films on the respective premieres at major festivals further and made minor changes, mostly related to the visual melody in the rhythm Fine. In the case of THE HUNTER its cuts were at their highest, because it is not just the length of individual settings easily adapting, but a shorter passage summed up, because it seemed to him more clearly and better. He said that the removed scenes have contributed nothing additional, what had already been in the film or in the figures."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:13 am 

Thanks very much for the update, sidetracked!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:35 pm 

sidetracked wrote:
According to the Trigon website, the 168 minute version on "The Hunters" was the version shown
only at Cannes, the 144 minute version was re-cut by Angelopoulos later, and was his preferred
cut. No idea if this is true, but if so, then I'm less frustrated at my inability to find the longer cut.

Here's the not very good google translation from the site;

http://www.trigon-film.org/de/movies/Hunter

"There are circulating around various lengths of this film. Those with 167 minutes duration affects the version that ran in 1977 in the Cannes competition. This release was followed by Theo Angelopoulos shortened to 144 minutes, so that the 144-minute version of the trigon-film DVD corresponds to the final assembly of the filmmaker. It is his own favorite version, the "director's cut" if you want Sun - Theo Angelopoulos has worked on all of his films on the respective premieres at major festivals further and made minor changes, mostly related to the visual melody in the rhythm Fine. In the case of THE HUNTER its cuts were at their highest, because it is not just the length of individual settings easily adapting, but a shorter passage summed up, because it seemed to him more clearly and better. He said that the removed scenes have contributed nothing additional, what had already been in the film or in the figures."

This information comes from Walter Ruggle, a German-speaking expert on Angelopoulos who also knew him well and was responsible for the booklet and the interviews in the trigon set. He e-mailed me exactly that (in German) when I asked them about the length of The Hunter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:30 pm 

A bit morbid, but has there been any word on that film Angelopoulos was working on before he was killed? If I remember rightly it was halfway through production.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:49 pm 

Then I guess it's probably still halfway through production.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:02 am 

I guess I deserved that. I meant was anybody involved with the film editing it to give some form to it for a public release?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:47 am 

I get the sense that a half-finished Angelopoulos film isn't really the same thing as a half-finished film by most other directors. He's pretty inimitable, so unless somebody is going to take an academic (e.g. Clouzot's Inferno) or stylistically radical (e.g. Munk's Passenger) approach, I wouldn't be surprised if there's not much that can be done with the shot footage. I honestly don't even know how closely he cleaved to a script or whether his collaborators even know what the final shape of the film was supposed to be.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:55 am 

This reminds me that rewatching Landscape in the Mist recently, I might have been even more choked up by all the motorcycles than by what happens to the kids in the film.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:38 am 

That's incredibly unfortunate. I was watching Ulysses' Gaze and was saddened at the thought of being one step closer to not being able to experience new Angelopoulos and so was holding out hope that something, even a Kafka's The Castle type editing job, could surface. Obviously nothing could replace the intended article, but that he was planning it as his final film only makes it crueler.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:55 pm 

Actually his daughter who was working as an assistant director on his film was working on finishing it after her father's death. It had been announced on Greek media after his death but has gone quiet recently, I presume she is still working on it though

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7