Dead Calm (Noyce, 1989) R4

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
John Cope

Dead Calm (Noyce, 1989) R4

#1 Post by John Cope » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:10 am

Well, I don't know where else to turn with this inquiry so I turn to you fine folks in the hopes that someone might be able to clarify things for me. Here's the situation: The R1 and R2 editions of this film both run approximately 96 minutes according to online sources. This means then that, presumably, both contain the miserable studio imposed ending that mars what I believe otherwise to be a virtually perfect film. For a long time now I have attempted to track down an alleged earlier UK release that did not feature this ending. Unfortunately this earlier version is almost impossible to come by. Anyway, only recently I discovered that the R4 Australian DVD apparently runs approximately 93 minutes. Now I know there's the issue of PAL speed up but that wouldn't really apply here would it? I mean the UK running time matches the US. I always thought the speed up is only taken into account if a PAL disc is played back on an NTSC player. Sounds sensible but whatever. I'm usually no good at parsing out tech details; in this case, however, the distinction matters a lot. So, if anyone has a copy of this or can find out the necessary info I would sincerely appreciate it. Obviously it would help if the distinction was specified in case you are unaware of it. In which case I place it in spoiler text below.
SpoilerShow
In the extended ending Hughie returns to the yacht after being sent off on an inflatable life raft. The film originally ended with Rae and John's reunion.

Person

Re: Dead Calm (Noyce, 1989) R4

#2 Post by Person » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:46 pm

The R4 is PAL and runs 92:20. I tried Googling for info on how the R4 DVD ends, but nothing has turned up. Btw, a Blu-ray edition is out in the USA later this year. Bare bones, sadly. Noyce gives good commentary, too.

menthymenthy

Re: Dead Calm (Noyce, 1989) R4

#3 Post by menthymenthy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:12 am

Yeah, I'm thinking it's the same cut.
SpoilerShow
In the Region 4 Version, Hughie returns in a total "shock-tactic" way after both characters believe he's dead. I can't remember what they do with him, for it's been years, but he def. comes back after the reunion between the two.