Harun Farocki Box set

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
accatone

Harun Farocki Box set

#1 Post by accatone » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:29 pm

While reading Volker Pantenburgs Film als Theorie: Bildforschung bei Harun Farocki und Jean-Luc Godard (A very good book! German only) i just flipped through some web pages in search of any Farocki news and was really surprised about this upcoming release (supposed to be available in June 09)

loachparty

Re: Harun Farocki Box Set

#2 Post by loachparty » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:19 pm

Huh! We could use that here at work. Wonder about Eng. subs though.

accatone

#3 Post by accatone » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:26 pm

With this distributer i would not expect any subtitles - however, great box & great films - just watched some of these on german tv.

Adam

#4 Post by Adam » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:53 pm

I hope for subtitles (beyond hope...) - really important films.

accatone

#5 Post by accatone » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:36 pm

I think Facets did release some on VHS in the past, right? So i could easily imagine a future port of these german releases on Facets. Where is his reputation in the US coming from? I know that he work(ed) in Berkley and that some of his texts/essays have english translations or might have even been written in english in the first place (the Godard book for example?). However, i just watched Aufschub a few days ago and must admit that this was enormously interesting in many ways // showing something without showing the expected image(s) was just an overwhelming experience for me. Too bad it looks like this film will not make it into this box/release…

Camera Obscura

Re: Harun Farocki Box set

#6 Post by Camera Obscura » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:54 pm

Looks like a great set. I wouldn't get your hopes up about English subs though. Would be a small miracle...

accatone

#7 Post by accatone » Tue May 19, 2009 5:15 pm

amazon.de now says english subtitles & audio!?!

Edit: Just emailed Harun himself and he said that there won't be english subs/audio! So as expected, amazon is just wrong!

Survivance

#8 Post by Survivance » Fri May 13, 2011 5:29 am

Survivance is to release Images of the World and the inscription on War and Respite (Aufschub) by Harun Farocki on DVD on June 7th. English subtitles are available on both films.

accatone

#9 Post by accatone » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:25 am

As there is no Farocki thread, i will post this interesting project here. Its bilingual (german/engl.):
http://www.labour-in-a-single-shot.net/en/films/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MichaelB

#10 Post by MichaelB » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:51 pm

Farocki fans should be pleased (if surprised) to learn that Arrow's upcoming Blu-ray release of Roger Corman's The Raven (currently part of their Six Gothic Tales box, but to be released separately in 2015) will include the first ever English-subtitled release of Farocki's 1984 documentary The Two Faces of Peter Lorre (Peter Lorre: Das doppelte Gesicht).

Co-producer Anthony Nield and I were after a Peter Lorre-themed extra, but were keen to avoid the usual "master of menace" overtly horror-themed angle - and this couldn't have been more perfect. Farocki's people were wonderful to deal with too - they were very apologetic that they couldn't give us existing subtitles, but explained that the film had never been translated before into any language, and so they didn't even have a transcription! So we're all hoping it will get a much bigger audience now.

(And this is what happens when you put producers with an arthouse sensibility in charge of a project like this - but I'm not expecting too many complaints from these quarters!)