United Red Army (Koji Wakamatsu, 2007)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
ingram

United Red Army (Koji Wakamatsu, 2007)

#1 Post by ingram » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:40 pm

Does anyone know if the Japanese DVD of Wakamatsu's United Red Army will will include English subs or if there is a plan for a region 1 DVD?

It actually did screen in Vancouver in September but I was away.

I have been trying to decipher Amazon Japan but am not so good at it. So if anyone can tell me what the deal is with the book I am also curious.

It appears that a few soundtracks from his old movies have been getting released (or possibly re-released) on solid Japan. I loved those soundtracks Especially "Ecstasy of Angels"

The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: Koji Wakamatsu - United Red Army

#2 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:53 pm

ingram wrote:Does anyone know if the Japanese DVD of Wakamatsu's United Red Army will will include English subs or if there is a plan for a region 1 DVD?
I see nothing on Amazon JP about subtitles, but they're not very good about providing that info anyway. Other e-tailers have a section for subtitles (字幕) but leave it blank, which could mean "none" or could mean they don't have the specs yet. I haven't heard anything about an R1 release (AFAIK it never got a distributor).

(I notice that Red Army/PFLP: Declaration of World War is getting released on the same day -- fortunately there's already a mostly-complete English translation out there.)

Anhedionisiac
the Displeasure Principle

#3 Post by Anhedionisiac » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:04 am

ingram wrote:Does anyone know if the Japanese DVD of Wakamatsu's United Red Army will will include English subs or if there is a plan for a region 1 DVD?
I don't think it's a breach of contract to disclose that this is the one wet dream of mine that we couldn't manage to schedule into the upcoming Mexico City International Film Festival.

It smarts. Definitely ordering it.

putney

Re: United Red Army (Koji Wakamatsu, 2007)

#4 Post by putney » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:34 pm

The dvd will almost certainly not have subtitles on it, i'm sad to say. from what I understand, not much, if anything in extras either. the idea has been to keep the selling cost low, as dvd are as most of you know ridiculously expensive in japan. i will look into and make sure.

the book is half history of the red army, half diary of the filmaking, with interviews, etc. it is genuinely worth it for the pictures alone, it's a pretty cheap book.

when ultravybe put out the 3 cds, there was also a promo cd that had tracks from various other films from that time at wakamatsu pro, i'm not sure if there is a plan to put that out officially, but i have a feeling they will be. there's a special set of all three cds with a kinda hip wakamatsu button and t-shirt...

Edit: ok... so, the japanese dvd will not have subtitles, sorry. there are plans for a subtitled dvd to be released somewhere next year, but it is still in the works...

sorry to provide disappointing news...

it seems the 4th cd i mentioned was a sales promo for Disk Union shop here, but the label is releasing a whole other slew of Wakamatsu pro related cds early next year, so that stuff may well be contained on them.

ingram

#5 Post by ingram » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:23 pm

putney wrote:ok... so, the japanese dvd will not have subtitles, sorry. there are plans for a subtitled dvd to be released somewhere next year, but it is still in the works...
Ah, well I'm glad its in the works, anyway! Thanks!!

feckless boy

#6 Post by feckless boy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:25 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:(I notice that Red Army/PFLP: Declaration of World War is getting released on the same day -- fortunately there's already a mostly-complete English translation out there.)
Caps posted in the proper thread. It's single-layered and interlaced, but I don't think we can expect a "remastered" edition anytime soon.

lord patchogue

#7 Post by lord patchogue » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:12 pm

It seems this is bound to get another release by Blaq out in November. I am also glad to see two other Wakamatsu box sets are work in progress as well. Judging from their earlier releases, these sets will most likely be English friendly.

Wu.Qinghua

#8 Post by Wu.Qinghua » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:45 pm

these sets will most likely be English friendly.
Ah, what a letdown. Blaq Out are releasing about 15 of Koji Wakamatsu's films, including "United Red Army" and "Secrets Behind the Wall" which I have seen (and loved) at the Berlin Film Festival some years ago, but: The boxed sets, the first of which is already out, have French subtitles only. So "United Red Army" will most likely miss English subs, too. :-k

As I have already complained about Criterion not having announced a Wakamatsu Eclipse set and as I haven't heard of anyone planning to release something like that, let's flood that bloody facebook page with "Wakamatsu, Wakamatsu" rants. Anyone?

Btw, you find the list of films Blaq Out is releasing, here.

I have just seen that in October 2009, that is this month, some of Wakamatsu's movies are shown for the first time in the US in some kind of a retrospective called "Pink Cinema Revolution. The Radical Films of Koji Wakamatsu" in San Francisco. Have a look here.

Whoa, maybe someone in the US will release some of those movies in the nearer future, too?

khan0890

#9 Post by khan0890 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Has anyone checked out the Region 2 French-subtitled DVD of U.R.A.?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#10 Post by tenia » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:03 pm

khan0890 wrote:Has anyone checked out the Region 2 French-subtitled DVD of U.R.A.?
It's said to be quite good, both technically and editorially.

khan0890

#11 Post by khan0890 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:57 pm

awesome. thanks tenia. i missed a 35mm screening of it here in town last summer and i see that the French distributor hasn't updated the website in a few months so i have no idea whether it's heading back this way in film form.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#12 Post by tenia » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:24 pm

I don't think it will be screened again in France, because we don't have a strong re release policy here.
Anyway, you can find the Blaq Out DVD on FNAC.com or Amazon.fr, but there are only French subs on the movie and on the extras (probably none on the French speaking extras, sorry for the inprecision, I don't own the DVD - yet :) )

Wu.Qinghua

#13 Post by Wu.Qinghua » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Oh no ... I have found a short post on "Wildgrounds" whose author is claiming, that the French company Blaq Out produced some kind of anti-piracy warning and added it to all their Wakamatsu DVDs, in which Koji Wakamatsu is threatening all the people who copy his french DVD releases illegally with a beating by himself or some of his friends.

How could he take part in such an enterprise? You find the short film here and here. Isn't that embarrassing?

tenia, do you know whether this is a forced warning, which you have to see everytime you put one of those discs into your player?

zedz

#14 Post by zedz » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:18 pm

Wu.Qinghua wrote:Oh no ... I have found a short post on "Wildgrounds" whose author is claiming, that the French company Blaq Out produced some kind of anti-piracy warning and added it to all their Wakamatsu DVDs, in which Koji Wakamatsu is threatening all the people who copy his french DVD releases illegally with a beating by himself or some of his friends.

How could he take part in such an enterprise? You find the short film here and here. Isn't that embarrassing?
Are you kidding? That's just about the most brilliant thing I've seen so far this year!

So are you in favour of stealing Wakamatsu's intellectual property?

Actually, I'm thinking about which directors I want to see do the same. Number one: Werner Herzog ("it might not be a significant bullet, but watch out")

Wu.Qinghua

#15 Post by Wu.Qinghua » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:39 pm

zedz wrote:Are you kidding? That's just about the most brilliant thing I've seen so far this year!
Oops ... You consider this to be "brilliant"?

Well, I guess I don't have to be in favour of stealing Wakamatsu's intellectual property to dislike this kind of clip! I remember Wakamatsu introducing "URA" at the Berlin Film Festival some years ago and asking whether some former members of the now disbanded Red Army Faction were present and would like to join him after the screening for some beer and talk. And I consider this clip and its message as well as imagery to be inconsistent with his movies and public performances like the one I have just mentioned. And I really wonder whether this is one of those forced warnings which I outermostly despise ...
Last edited by Wu.Qinghua on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

zedz

#16 Post by zedz » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:05 pm

Wu.Qinghua wrote:
zedz wrote:Are you kidding? That's just about the most brilliant thing I've seen so far this year!
Oops ... You consider this to be "brilliant"?
Absolutely. I've sat through so many ridiculous, humourless "Video piracy funds terrorism" slugs that seeing the filmmaker himself threaten to come around and break your fingers is a relief. You also have to assume that Wakamatsu endorses the message, and why wouldn't he? And why shouldn't we respect his opinion about the copyright in his work?
And I consider this clip and its message as well as imagery to be inconsistent with his movies and public performances like the one I have just mentioned.
Well I guess Wakamatsu has just cleared up that particular misconception of yours!

Wu.Qinghua

#17 Post by Wu.Qinghua » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:21 pm

Is it my misconception? Well, I don't think so, but okay ... I guess we won't reach a consensus on Wakamatsu's clip here. But that's pretty okay, isn't it?

Btw, that's what one of 'Wildgrounds' users posted: "There’s a little smile at the end. A Wakamatsu smile. I guess it’s just a funny way to make it less dramatic than the usual “beware, each time you download, god kills one artist“."
Last edited by Wu.Qinghua on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

amil

#18 Post by amil » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:03 pm

Talking about Koji Wakamatsu, an english-subbed DVD box set is coming out in France next month, with Season of Terror, Running In Love Dying In Madness, Sex Jack, Ecstasy of the Angels. :P

Don't know why the french distributor didn't add english subs for the first Wakamatsu releases (United Red Army for example). That's weird.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#19 Post by tenia » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:22 pm

amil wrote:Don't know why the french distributor didn't add english subs for the first Wakamatsu releases (United Red Army for example). That's weird.
It's the same for a lot of editors : probably some rights issues...

Yojimbo

#20 Post by Yojimbo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:43 pm

amil wrote:Talking about Koji Wakamatsu, an english-subbed DVD box set is coming out in France next month, with Season of Terror, Running In Love Dying In Madness, Sex Jack, Ecstasy of the Angels. :P

Don't know why the french distributor didn't add english subs for the first Wakamatsu releases (United Red Army for example). That's weird.
Thats great news, although I didn't experience too much difficulty translating the first set's French subs: and hopefully its not too late for me to get a decent pre-order box-set

Peacock

#21 Post by Peacock » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:00 am

Blaq-Out just said on Facebook that because they are totally sold out of Volume 1 of their Wakamatsu Boxsets they are adding english subtitles and repressing the disks.

Great news considering Vol 1 contains his most acclaimed work (Go Go Second Time Virgin, Violated Angels...)

So now, for the record, all 3 sets will have english subs for the films.

(Couldn't find a better place to post this)

Yojimbo

#22 Post by Yojimbo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:05 am

Peacock wrote:Blaq-Out just said on Facebook that because they are totally sold out of Volume 1 of their Wakamatsu Boxsets they are adding english subtitles and repressing the disks.

Great news considering Vol 1 contains his most acclaimed work (Go Go Second Time Virgin, Violated Angels...)

So now, for the record, all 3 sets will have english subs for the films.

(Couldn't find a better place to post this)
Great news
I had held off on subsequent sets, just on the off-chance

Wu.Qinghua

#23 Post by Wu.Qinghua » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:47 pm

Good news indeed. But it would be good to see the forced trailer being dropped from the discs. I'm fed up with it wasting my time.

@Yojimbo: There are English subs on Vol. 2-3 already.

Adam X

#24 Post by Adam X » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:34 am

Does anyone know if Blaq Out ended up repressing the first box set with English sub's. It seems they've released the discs separately, yet it appears, going by their website, that they've still only got French subtitles.