Hungarian films on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
lastrade

Re: Hungarian films on DVD

#126 Post by lastrade » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:44 am

In the recent journal about krasznahorkai/tarr krasznahorkai mentions the film maker andras jeles, are any of his films available with english subtitles? the early films look most interesting for me.

TMDaines

#127 Post by TMDaines » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:40 am

Anyone help me with some recommendations for an order from lira.hu? As many of the discs seem relatively cheap and postage is relatively high and goes up by small increments, I may as well order a few things. In the basket I have:

Szabó István - MEPHISTO
Bacsó Péter - TANU
Szabó István - SZERELMESFILM
Fábri Zoltán - A PÁL UTCAI FIÚK DVD
Szabó István - ÁLMODOZÁSOK KORA
Jancsó Miklós - CSILLAGOSOK KATONÁK

I already have Apa and Szindbád from Second Run. Criticker suggested Két félidö a pokolban for me and I see there's a disc with English subs on KG. I can't find that on lira.hu though.

jsteffe

#128 Post by jsteffe » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:48 pm

TMDaines wrote:Anyone help me with some recommendations for an order from lira.hu? As many of the discs seem relatively cheap and postage is relatively high and goes up by small increments, I may as well order a few things. In the basket I have:

Szabó István - MEPHISTO
Bacsó Péter - TANU

I already have Apa and Szindbád from Second Run. Criticker suggested Két félidö a pokolban for me and I see there's a disc with English subs on KG. I can't find that on lira.hu though.
MEGÁLL AZ IDŐ / Time Stands Still (dir. Gothár Péter) - not anamorphic, but it looks fine and is a key Hungarian film of the Seventies
ÉN XX. SZÁZADOM / My 20th Century (dir. Enyedi Ildikó)
FELDOBOTT KŐ / The Upthrown Stone (dir. Sára Sándor) - Sara was Hungary's greatest cinematographer, so you can imagine that this film has a striking visual style.

TMDaines

#129 Post by TMDaines » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:54 pm

jsteffe wrote:
TMDaines wrote:Anyone help me with some recommendations for an order from lira.hu? As many of the discs seem relatively cheap and postage is relatively high and goes up by small increments, I may as well order a few things. In the basket I have:

Szabó István - MEPHISTO
Bacsó Péter - TANU

MEGÁLL AZ IDŐ / Time Stands Still (dir. Gothár Péter) - not anamorphic, but it looks fine and is a key Hungarian film of the Seventies
ÉN XX. SZÁZADOM / My 20th Century (dir. Enyedi Ildikó)
FELDOBOTT KŐ / The Upthrown Stone (dir. Sára Sándor) - Sara was Hungary's greatest cinematographer, so you can imagine that this film has a striking visual style.
Thanks. I took them, AJÁNDÉK EZ A NAP too, and also found Két félidö a pokolban.
Last edited by TMDaines on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

jsteffe

#130 Post by jsteffe » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:49 pm

TMDaines wrote:Thanks. I took them, MEGÁLL AZ IDŐ too, and also found Két félidö a pokolban.
It's such a solid selection of films, you really can't go wrong. I was glad to learn as a result that the Hungarian Film Archive has put out a new transfer of the Bacsó's A tanú/The Witness.

L.A.

#131 Post by L.A. » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:55 am

MichaelB

#132 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:39 am

L.A. wrote:Has anyone seen Fotográfia (Zolnay Pál, 1972)?
Yes, many years ago, and I remember enjoying it, although I haven't watched the DVD yet.

L.A.

#133 Post by L.A. » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:45 am

MichaelB wrote:
L.A. wrote:Has anyone seen Fotográfia (Zolnay Pál, 1972)?
Yes, many years ago, and I remember enjoying it, although I haven't watched the DVD yet.
Hopefully the DVD is still in print.

Another film which interests me (and hopefully gets the DVD treatment from Magyar Nemzeti Filmarchívum) is Magasiskola / The Falcons (István Gaál, 1970).

jsteffe

#134 Post by jsteffe » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:21 am

L.A. wrote: Another film which interests me (and hopefully gets the DVD treatment from Magyar Nemzeti Filmarchívum) is Magasiskola / The Falcons (István Gaál, 1970).
I can't imagine that they wouldn't release a new digital restoration eventually, since it's a masterpiece of Hungarian cinema. The Magyar Nemzeti Filmarchívum has already done another Gaál film, although that was an older transfer.

TMDaines

#135 Post by TMDaines » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:24 am

Do you get any notice from lira.hu when your order ships?

L.A.

#136 Post by L.A. » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:34 am

TMDaines wrote:Do you get any notice from lira.hu when your order ships?
Not so far but I sent an email (in English of course) and asked if they could provide with a tracking number since they ship via registered mail, which they kindly did.

Calvin

#137 Post by Calvin » Mon May 06, 2013 7:08 am

Has anyone here seen Marcell Jankovics' The Tragedy of Man? The Blu-Ray has English subtitles so I was thinking of picking it up, based on the quality of The Son of the White Mare.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#138 Post by swo17 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:09 pm

I've posted some screencaps from the new release of The Witness here.

osmin

#139 Post by osmin » Thu May 09, 2013 8:31 am

Calvin wrote:Has anyone here seen Marcell Jankovics' The Tragedy of Man? The Blu-Ray has English subtitles so I was thinking of picking it up, based on the quality of The Son of the White Mare.
I bought the Bluray. Like Feherlofia it is a film of striking beauty which tries nothing less than to adapt Imre Madach's 19th century play (somewhat a combination of Paradise Lost and Faust) showing the futility of man's existence through the ages and painting a dark future. So you have to deal with a philosophical subtext that is at times a bit complicated. Every era the film describes is done in its characteristic style. The problem with the Bluray - as with the DVD of Jankovics' film "Enek a Csodaszarvasrol" - is that it is very hard to follow the subtitles and simultaneously watch the stunning animation. They don't give you much time to read. Of course, you should first watch the film in the subtitled version, but the disc also gives you the opportunity to enjoy it without voice-over and subtitles. This is a must have for all animation buffs.

Regarding the two unsubtitled DVDs of "Janos Vitez" and "Feherlofia" I think the first can be enjoyed without subs. You just have to read a synopsis of Petöfi's poem. On the other hand, Feherlofia needs to be subtitled and it is high time this masterwork gets a proper release.

TMDaines

#140 Post by TMDaines » Fri May 17, 2013 2:06 pm

swo17 wrote:I've posted some screencaps from the new release of The Witness here.
Thanks for the screenshots, but you forgot to mention some of the best news. This release is completely English-friendly! English subtitles on all the extras, plus English subtitles for the director's commentary too! This disc is the one of the lower tier ones: 899 HUF is £2.61! This must be up there for best value release of the year. Incredible. I was under the impression that only the upper tier priced discs had English subtitles on the extras.

Might I suggest we all pull together a list of what discs are fully English-friendly and which aren't? Similar to what MichaelB has done for the Polish thread?

TMDaines

#141 Post by TMDaines » Mon May 27, 2013 6:42 am

A kis Valentinó is out or upcoming now. I understand that this too is considered to be one of the best Hungarian films, no?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#142 Post by swo17 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:13 am

I haven't seen it yet, but it is one of the Budapest 12.

skuhn8

#143 Post by skuhn8 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:42 am

swo17 wrote:I haven't seen it yet, but it is one of the Budapest 12.
Damn, I've never heard of the film or the director. Curious to see.

L.A.

#144 Post by L.A. » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:48 am

Magyar Nemzeti Digitális Archívum lists the DVD of the animated version of Lúdas Matyi directed by Attila Dargay.

L.A.

#145 Post by L.A. » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:34 pm

Kauno

#146 Post by Kauno » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:13 pm

L.A. wrote:Hyppolit, a lakáj / Hyppolit, the Butler (1931) available on Blu-ray.
That is great news!

skuhn8

#147 Post by skuhn8 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:51 am

Kauno wrote:
L.A. wrote:Hyppolit, a lakáj / Hyppolit, the Butler (1931) available on Blu-ray.
That is great news!
Been out for a couple years now....and is available for a reduced price from local shops even. Should be able to pick up for under $15.

L.A.

#148 Post by L.A. » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:28 pm

New releases from Magyar Nemzeti Digitális Archívum, directed by Zoltán Várkonyi:

Egy magyar nábob (1966)
Kárpáthy Zoltán (1966)

Matt

#149 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:57 am

I'm looking for any of Michael Curtiz's (Kertész Mihály) Hungarian films on DVD. Anyone have any idea if such things exist?

L.A.

#150 Post by L.A. » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Matt wrote:I'm looking for any of Michael Curtiz's (Kertész Mihály) Hungarian films on DVD. Anyone have any idea if such things exist?
I believe there are none of Curtiz's Hungarian films available on DVD at the moment. Hopefully this is of interest.