I Vinti (Antonioni)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
ellipsis7

#1 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:08 am

Running through this new disc from Minerva Classics Italy, is really nice transfer of a very clean and crisp print with optional English (excellent translation) and Italian subs... There are two audio options - all 3 eps dubbed into Italian or alternatively the 3 eps in their native languages (French, English Italian)... Interesting juxtaposition with LE AMICHE, and also to an extent presaging 1960's French New Wave with contemporary focus on youth culture in 3 countries...
I Vinti
Capsule by Jonathan Rosenbaum
From the Chicago Reader

Commonly and to some extent unjustly written off as a failure, in part because of alterations imposed by censorship pressures that marred the first two episodes, Michelangelo Antonioni's daring second feature (1952), originally released in England as Youth and Perversion, consists of three separate sketches chronicling senseless murders committed by young men in France, Italy, and England--a contemporary existentialist document that could almost have been coscripted by Albert Camus. What's most striking in all three parts of the film is the integration of incident with landscape without psychologizing--something of an Antonioni staple--and the last and best segment strikingly anticipates Blowup by offering not only a corpse found in a park but a tennis match glimpsed in the final shot. Jean-Pierre Mocky, later a New Wave director, plays one of the French youths in the first section, and Fay Compton plays the murder victim in the last. In Italian with subtitles. 110 min.
Booklet is mainly in Italian, one essay also in English, contains useful version comparison in Italian of 2 versions of the film... The Uncut version of the Italian episode presented in Venice Film fest in 1953 is included as an extra!.... This restored print coming from the only remaining copy shows more damage, a section being replaced by a video recording...

OMG - I've just put it into my DVD-ROM drive and there's loads of original documents as pdf files - a facsimile of the shooting script, criticism, early episode draft and facsimile document outlining cuts required by the censor....

All DVD menus are in Italian & English - DVD-Rom docs obviously in Italian....