Nicolas Roeg on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
MichaelB

#26 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:28 pm

Felix wrote:You mention the R2 Bad Timing in an earlier post, does it have a commentary by Roeg?
No.

Felix

#27 Post by Felix » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:35 pm

Robin Davies wrote:I wonder if the insulting treatment Eureka received contributed in any way to Roeg's subsequent creative decline. Directing six of the greatest movies ever made only to be greeted with incomprehension, shelving, censorship and insults must make a person wonder if it's all worth it.
I think the critical backlash really set in with the response to Bad Timing, which I recall being vicious. A lot of it was associated with the miscasting of Art Garfunkel, which I personally think was inspired. The fact that he couldn't act for toffee made him perfect for the warped mind that was Alex.

And still with Bad Timing, Nicholas Royle's novel The Director's Cut centres on a body being found wrapped in a 16mm print of Bad Timing and is worth a read for Roeg fans, as is his Antwerp for Harry Kumel and Paul Delvaux fans.

wowser

#28 Post by wowser » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:06 am

The use of Garfunkle in Bad Timing is just as effective as the use of Bowie in Man Who Fell to earth. Neither are great actors, but both work superbly.

Robin Davies

#29 Post by Robin Davies » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:29 am

I've noticed a slight glitch in the recent Optimum release of Eureka. At 20.30 just after Jack McCann gets washed away by the river of gold the shot of the mountain should be bathed in a golden glow, but on this disc it isn't - it's just the normal snow colour.

Cronenfly

#30 Post by Cronenfly » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:43 pm

Beaver reviews the R2 Anchor Bay release of Track 29.

I'll just hold on to my VHS at this juncture; hopefully someday it will come out in R1-land (or anywhere else, for that matter) in a proper release...

MichaelB

#31 Post by MichaelB » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:44 am

Cronenfly wrote:Beaver reviews the R2 Anchor Bay release of Track 29.

I'll just hold on to my VHS at this juncture; hopefully someday it will come out in R1-land (or anywhere else, for that matter) in a proper release...
I can certainly confirm that it wasn't screened in 1.33:1 when I saw it at the Lumiere Cinema in central London, and the print was in considerably better condition.

Floyd

Re: Nicolas Roeg on DVD

#32 Post by Floyd » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:41 pm

Does anyone have any report on what exactly the best DVD release is for Insignificance? I've read it should be 1.85 but saw the Network and R1 discs are 1.33. I found this release by Kinowelt which says its presented 1.66. Any ideas?
Last edited by Floyd on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yojimbo

Re:

#33 Post by Yojimbo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:59 pm

It was Track 29 that really turned me off oeg: I thought Art Garfunkel's performance in 'Bad Timing' was more than serviceable, whereas Theresa Russel gave an astonishing performance.
But I think Roeg may have let that performance go to his head and decided to stretch her even more.
Whatever it was, he and I parted the ways following this one.

GaryC

Re:

#34 Post by GaryC » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:36 am

MichaelB wrote:

I can certainly confirm that it wasn't screened in 1.33:1 when I saw it at the Lumiere Cinema in central London, and the print was in considerably better condition.
I saw it there too, and I'll second that. The OAR is either 1.75:1 or 1,85:1.

The combination of Roeg and Dennis Potter intrigued me too, but I found the film a total letdown. In retrospect, it's the start of Roeg's decline for me. (I haven't caught up with Puffball yet.)