Lisandro Alonso on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
GringoTex

Re: Lisandro Alonso on DVD

#51 Post by GringoTex » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:39 pm

james wrote:
foggy eyes wrote:
james wrote:I watched Los muertos and didn't like it; it's devoid of any enthusiasm towards the material and without personality.
Train your eyes and ears.
Train your eyes and ears so you can tell the difference between profoundly minimalistic cinema along the lines of Claire Denis or Béla Tarr and cinema which makes dishonest attempts at profoundness and all the while transforms into a series of poorly shot scenes that prove Lisandro Alonso to be no other than a voiceless director who is too concerned with his actor carrying out specific actions than he is with following through with any sort of theme. [-(
How many people do you think Vargas killed in the film?

James

#52 Post by James » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:33 am

GringoTex wrote:
james wrote:
foggy eyes wrote: Train your eyes and ears.
Train your eyes and ears so you can tell the difference between profoundly minimalistic cinema along the lines of Claire Denis or Béla Tarr and cinema which makes dishonest attempts at profoundness and all the while transforms into a series of poorly shot scenes that prove Lisandro Alonso to be no other than a voiceless director who is too concerned with his actor carrying out specific actions than he is with following through with any sort of theme. [-(
How many people do you think Vargas killed in the film?
SpoilerShow
It's been over a week since I watched the movie, and since I didn't like it, my memory has slighted faded, but I'd guess that judging by the beginning sequence, at least two and the ending leaves it in question of whether he has taken two more victims. Why the question?

khan0890

#53 Post by khan0890 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:09 pm

does anyone know... has a English-subbed version of LA LIBERTAD surfaced anywhere in the world in the last few months?

Fierias

#54 Post by Fierias » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:14 pm

English-subbed boxset of all four of Alonso's films coming in France this September

Edit - damn, I didn't notice that all the films are subtitled except for Liverpool, which is kind of a deal-breaker (for me anyway). :(
Last edited by Fierias on Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oedipax

#55 Post by Oedipax » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:17 pm

Wow - man I hope they do proper transfers. This could be the one!

AlexHansen

#56 Post by AlexHansen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:45 pm

Looks like Intermedio's set is coming out in January.

Oedipax

#57 Post by Oedipax » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:06 am

Forgot about that French Alonso set - has anyone here seen reviews or purchased the set? I realize it's probably unrealistic to expect progressive anamorphic-enhanced transfers, but still.

zedz

#58 Post by zedz » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:52 pm

By a cosmic coincidence, my Alonso set arrived yesterday. So far I've only had a chance to look at the extras on La Libertad (very short early short film, okay ten minute interview, pointless outtake). Will report back when I've had a chance to see a feature transfer.

I can confirm that all the extras include English subs.

heredity4me

#59 Post by heredity4me » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:34 am

Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't know (or is region locked) but Kino just released Liverpool on dvd. Looks like Netflix actually has it to so I'm pretty excited.

zedz

#60 Post by zedz » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:26 pm

Watched Los Muertos and Fantasma last night. I haven't seen any of the previous Alonso DVDs, but I presume these are the same transfers, as they're non-anamorphic but otherwise acceptable (looked fine enough upscaled).

zedz

#61 Post by zedz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:53 pm

Good news: Liverpool is anamorphic and decent (though it would be a bit weird if such a recent film wasn't).

Bad news: Liverpool doesn't have English subs (only French and Dutch).

Weird news: Perversely, the Alonso interview on the disc does have English subs, including the couple of dialogue scenes from the feature extracted therein.

News in summary: The lack of English subs is disappointing but hardly fatal to the film, since there's so little dialogue and most of it's phatic. There are maybe ten lines of dialogue in the film that further the narrative, and they're easy enough to pick up if you have a smattering of Spanish or French (or Dutch!), and Alonso summarizes everything in the subtitled interview anyway. I assume that this was a region-coding-by-stealth decision imposed on Potemkine by the rightsholder because of some forthcoming or desired UK release.

knives

#62 Post by knives » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:39 pm

I just introduced myself to this director via Los Muertos and while the facets is about what's expected (though It's one of the best discs I've seen from them) and it definitely has caught my interest to see more of his movies. I'm going to make an odd comparison here, but I was intensely reminded of Cocteau when watching the movie. Not in story or composition, but rather in how the images simply exist and don't need any meaning or explanation.

I'll be honest and admit I did not realize that he had committed murder until reading this thread, but the film worked all the same because it allows it's images to just exist. There's no greater purpose being served here, it is simply observational entertainment. I really hope to see more of his work soon.

Bikey

#63 Post by Bikey » Tue May 17, 2011 5:53 pm

Delighted to let you all know that we (Second Run) will be releasing LIVERPOOL in late-Summer 2011. We feel strongly that Lisandro Alonso is amongst the most vital of contemporary filmmakers working today.

knives

#64 Post by knives » Tue May 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Thank you for existing Second Run. You guys always know how to brighten a day just right.

Peacock

#65 Post by Peacock » Tue May 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Great news Bikey! Will there be any new extra features to tempt those of us who already have the Kino and/or Agnes B?
For one, there's a short making of on youtube - which is lacking english subtitles - so if you need something quick and easy...

I haven't seen the film yet as I was so disappointed by Fantasma which was probably the most self indulgent pointless film i've ever seen! (Endless shots of individual characters walking around corridors, bathrooms, dressing rooms, picking things up and putting them down again) Loved La Libertad and (to a slightly lesser extent) Los Muertos though.

Bikey

#66 Post by Bikey » Tue May 17, 2011 7:40 pm

And thank you knives and Peacock, you say the nicest things!

As always, we will definitely be trying to add new extras - Alonso is filming at the moment and we are waiting to discuss what can be added. Won't be finalised for awhile but we'll let you know as soon as any extras are confirmed.

In case you haven't read it before, here's a lovely piece by Danny Kasman on the film at Mubi :
http://mubi.com/notebook/posts/976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AlexHansen

#67 Post by AlexHansen » Tue May 17, 2011 8:09 pm

This is a great way to brighten a day. Can't wait to get my hands on it (and reminds me it's probably about time to purchase another handful from the catalogue). Any possible plans for the rest of Alonso's output? And tangentially-related, maybe Serra's Birdsong?

James

#68 Post by James » Fri May 20, 2011 4:31 pm

Hopefully it sells well so you can put out more!

Nothing

#69 Post by Nothing » Sun May 22, 2011 6:40 am

La Libertad and Los Muertos could do with a UK release, but only if there's a way of getting Alonso to strike new anamorphic transfers.

Please don't release Serra's Birdsong.