The Man Between (Carol Reed)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
bergelson

The Man Between (Carol Reed)

#1 Post by bergelson » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:41 am

Hi Everyone, Kinowelt Germany, had just released Carol Reed's Man Between.

Has anyone seen it and can comment about the quality?

Thanks.

Gordon

#2 Post by Gordon » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:43 pm

The only thing I know is that the title on the cover is in english, indicating that a UK edition may be on the cards from Momentum:

yoshimori

#3 Post by yoshimori » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:49 pm

Just watched the r2de pal disc. 4:3. I assume this is the OAR, but I'm not sure. Anyone know? Compositions look OK in 4:3. Transfer is fine. English and German tracks, removable German subs. I'd recommended it.

Gordon

#4 Post by Gordon » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:51 pm

British film shot in 1952/53 - yes, it should definitely be 1.37:1. Des Dickinson (The Browning Version, Olivier's Hamlet) was the DP. Reed always worked with great DPs and Dickenson was one of the great British DPs, but he often didn't get/choose the best films to illuminate. The great Denys Coop was also the camera operator, as he was on The Third Man and The Fallen Idol (and later on Lolita). He later graduated to cinematographer, creating some of the most impressive black and white cinematography of the 60s: A Kind of Loving, This Sporting Life, Billy Liar, The Mind Benders, King & Country and culminating in Bunny Lake Is Missing. His color films are depressingly interesting and I get the feeling that he hated shooting in color, though he was of many visual geniuses who saved the day on Superman, creating and supervising the meticulous flying photography. I'll definitely check out The Man Between.

The vastly underrated Outcast of the Islands also needs a DVD.

yoshimori

#5 Post by yoshimori » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:03 pm

Gordon wrote:British film shot in 1952/53
You're right. For some reason I thought it was from 1955.

Gordon

#6 Post by Gordon » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:10 pm

Yeah, I actually forget about the film generally when considering Reed, for some reason, so don't sweat it! I had actually forgotten about this release, so thanks for sharing your thoughts on the disc, Yoshi! :D

HistoryProf

Re: The Man Between (Carol Reed)

#7 Post by HistoryProf » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:44 am

Still no R1 release of this fabulously underrated film...watching it dvr'd off of TCM right now and thought i'd see if it's been discussed as a possibility for Criterion...seems a perfect fit, imo a better film than Charade. Hard to figure what the rights are now though...anyone know who owns this in the U.S.? Any chance it may be on tap for Criterion?