It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Transit Lubitsch box
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:11 am 

HerrSchreck wrote:
I'm guessing what Ledos wanted to say is the dedicated "Transit Classics" line have english subs-- perhaps they do..

Well understood, I just thought I'd put out some warnings for those who might think about buying some of the UFAs, especially "Kameradschaft", which I was looking forward to very, very much of course, and then was severely disappointed.

HerrSchreck wrote:
if anything other than a couple obvious drips (DER LETZE, METROP, GOLEM) come out every five years, they'll indeed stop being the freaking lost ark and therefore become a viable alternative in r1 to Transit's usual route to the German market-- the English-unusable UFA Klassiker line.

Indeed, I also do not understand their release (or rather, non-release) strategy. I guess a much better alternative to the UFA Klassiker line is the "German Filmmuseum" edition, which all have English subs and are all fabulous transfer-wise (although not necessarily restoration-wise). But they seem to go for the real rarity stuff, it seems.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:17 am 

So does the set have English intertitles or not? My German colleague in my graduate program is returning to Germany for Christmas and has offered to pick this up for me. I really need to know whether it will be a good investment or not.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:14 pm 

The German set has audio commentaries on "Anna Boleyn" and "Die Austernprinzessin" (in Deutsch, natürlich).

DVD Talk reviews the Kinos here, here, here and here.

Hmm, "...problems associated with PAL to NTSC conversion..."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:15 am 

filmnoir1 wrote:
So does the set have English intertitles or not?

No. Neither the films nor the 86 min docu has English subtitles.
Pick up UNTER DEN BRÃœCKEN instead :wink:.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:10 am 

Kinsayder wrote:
The German set has audio commentaries on "Anna Boleyn" and "Die Austernprinzessin" (in Deutsch, natürlich).

DVD Talk reviews the Kinos here, here, here and here.

Hmm, "...problems associated with PAL to NTSC conversion..."

Hopefully the hmmm is you deciding whether cash or credit card (assuming you don't speak German and truly want these titles). I have BOLEYN and, assuming this is par for the course on the rest of the set, DVD TALK is nitpicking (they hafta say something). It's there if you search hard for it-- You wont see the extra frame unless you freeze frame every 4th frame. The image is as gorgeous as SIR ARNE or EROTIKON. SPIES & METROPOLIS (and the sound here & there on NIBEL) are the two where the image was most definitely a compromised.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:29 am 

I've looked at both the Kino SUMURUN and OYSTER PRINCESS/I DON'T WANT TO BE A MAN and they both look fine; like Herr Schreck says, unless you're pausing and looking for evidence of PAL conversion, these are quite pleasing to the eye. The contrast on I DON'T WANT... looks a bit high, but that isn't something Kino could have fixed, I would think.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:23 pm 

bob wrote:
I asked Transit about subtitles on the Lubitsch films, and got this reply:
Quote:
The Lubitsch Box released in German does not have English subtitles. But the box will be released in the US (Kino International) very soon and in UK (Eureka Video) next year with English subtitles.

Best regards,

Mark Grünthal

He also said:
Quote:
We are planning to release a new restoration of Nosferatu next year. The other titles are still not decided.

Thanks very much for this post, and welcome! The Nosferatu news is outstanding, of course.

I wonder if the Eureka (MoC?) release of the Lubitsch stuff will include the documentary with subtitles. If so, I may continue holding off on the Kino releases until then. I wouldn't mind supporting Kino this time, but I'm really curious about that docu.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:26 pm 
"Without obsession, life is nothing"

That Eureka Video news might even refer to MoC.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:28 pm 

Lino wrote:
That Eureka Video news might even refer to MoC.

Well, fuck, my Transit box just shipped from amazon.de.
If it's an MoC release with nice booklet and all I'm gonna be pissed...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:35 pm 

Quote:
the box will be released...in UK (Eureka Video) next year with English subtitles.

I will definitely be waiting for this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:57 am 

I've only coughed up for Boleyn so far, so I might wait too... if an MoC, and only if.

Annoying nasal whine:
"Yo NICCCKKKK!"

Whatsa score, commandatore?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:27 am 

Just wanted to point out a couple of Lubitsch films surfaced on DVD in Spain. Transfers are probably not the best quality and not the best of his films, but they are not available anywhere else at this time -

Bluebeard´s Eighth Wife
That Lady in Ermine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:07 am 

That Lady in Ermine is available in Germany according to Lubitsch's first post of this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:43 pm 

Lubitsch's early talkie masterpiece One Hour With Youfinally on DVD in France, with removable French subs and a gorgeous print.

Also available is Broken Lullaby, but the print isn't as sharp and the subs aren't removable...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:19 pm 

Rollo have you bought this disc? I notice it's not Universal but from something called "Paramount Home Entertainment".

God knows who this, is and I recall bitterly buying a version of Scarlet Street two years ago in a similarly cased disc issued by "Paramount Films" which was the most rock bottom z-grade sub VHS blur I ever had the misfortune to pay 22 Euros for.

Screencaps possible or a link to a review?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:18 am 

One Hour With You, while indeed a masterpiece, wasn't directed by Lubitsch, but by George Cukor. More on this here.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:23 am 

Well - it's essentially a Lubitsch picture which Cukor finished with almost daily input from Lube. Lubitsch did the right thing and wanted to let Cukor sign it but Schulberg presided over that.

Nevertheless - especially given the rehearsal and performance arrangements it bears the stamp of Lubitsch far more than Cukor who - I would consider - didn't really get into his stride until later that year with What Price Hollywood, and Bill of Divorcement, and later with the big ensemble pieces like Dinner at Eight and Little Women.

It's always interesting to look over issues of disputed authorship but this one is always a Lubitsch picture to me in style and performance. Just as say Desire is less a Borzage picture than a Lubitsch movie.

Another suprising but answerable case of authorship is - say - Caught which is fairly clearly an Ophuls film, yet it was substantially directed by John Berry. The biggest mish mash of all time and one which does NOT have Cukor's name on it is the beleagured Desire Me. (A fascinating mess. And as I recall it has NO director credit.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:31 am 

I'm almost positive this will be a Criterion release, so it's worth holding out for it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:12 pm 

justeleblanc wrote:
I'm almost positive this will be a Criterion release, so it's worth holding out for it.

How so? This and the other early 30s Lubitsches are Universal and would surely end up as Lionsgate if anything. Although they certainly would make a nice five movie Eclipse package.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:44 pm 

davidhare wrote:
How so? This and the other early 30s Lubitsches are Universal and would surely end up as Lionsgate if anything. Although they certainly would make a nice five movie Eclipse package.

David, in last month's newsletter Criterion announced THE LOVE PARADE, and previous sources had indicated that Criterion is also interested in releasing a Lubitsch musicals box of LOVE PARADE, LIEUTENANT, and ONE HOUR WITH YOU.

What say you about Lionsgate releasing these? Now I'm curious.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:26 pm 

davidhare wrote:
I would LOVE to see the old Lubistch Universal Laserdisc set replicated on Crit or Eclipse. Obviously minus Design for Living and Trouble in Paradise already out.

Missed this! It's merely that Lionsgate seems to channel a lot of Uni/Studio Canal material.

I would LOVE to see the old Lubistch Universal Laserdisc set replicated on Crit or Eclipse. Obviously minus Design for Living and Trouble in Paradise already out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:19 pm 

I just finished watching the french-R2 One Hour with You DVD: it is of very good quality. It is a Bac Video / Paramount release (film is Paramount) with a Universal logo before the movie.

Great b&w (though a few times during the film, the image gets a little out of focus for a couple of seconds and then goes back to normal). Some grain in some scenes too. Great sound with removable french subs.
One of the best editions I've seen of a movie from the early 30's.

Now, for the movie itself (I had never seen it before), I found it fast moving, witty and amusing but it is too much "théâtre de boulevard" for my own taste . Jaw-dropping sexual innuendos are all over the place & especially in the first 30 minutes. In the same league, from the same year and with both the same stars, I much prefer Mamoulian's Love Me Tonight, which is pure heaven.

Anyway, the french-R2 One Hour with You is a safe buy if you like the movie and can't wait for an eventual Crit/Eclipse or boxset edition.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:25 pm 

Quote:
Great b&w (though a few times during the film, the image gets a little out of focus for a couple of seconds and then goes back to normal). Some grain in some scenes too. Great sound with removable french subs

Merci Tom!

If it's straight B&W it's clearly a different source from the marvellous Laserdisc (sourced from a UCLA restoration) which was tinted (which I'm not that mad about although that print is otherwise fine.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:50 pm 

Yes, Tom is right, it is a lovely print. Universal have the rights to Paramount stuff, but sometimes the items come out under alternate labels overseas.

As for who directed it, I believe I read elsewhere Cukor started directing it, then Lubitsch fired him off set and did most of it himself. Cukor didn't like the finished result.

I would love to believe that it would come on Criterion one day - even more so The Smiling Lieutenant, along with Monte Carlo and The Love Parade, but the laserdisc boxset had Trouble in Paradise in it, which is already out, so I'm not sure if it will be Criterion. Remember Kino released Love me Tonight.

Here's some caps of One Hour With You.

Angel (Lubitsch) R2 Spain

This Lubitsch classic has been released in Spain with removable Spanish subtitles.

Here's the caps...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:21 pm 

I think I'll just wait for the Criterion/Eclipse box, which will be containing all four of Lubitsch's Paramount musicals:

THE LOVE PARADE
MONTE CARLO
ONE HOUR WITH YOU
SMILING LIEUTENANT

Have I not posted the confirmation of these titles yet? If not, here they are again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next