NFI's Jakten/Motforestilling: The Films of Erik Løchen

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Knappen

NFI's Jakten/Motforestilling: The Films of Erik Løchen

#1 Post by Knappen » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:50 pm

A double DVD set introducing (for the first time ever on video?) the two feature films of Erik Løchen (1924-1983) is being released by the Norwegian Film Institute by the end of this month. I got a copy from a contact over there as I promised to spread the word to you guys. It should be available for sale at their website soon.

First of all: Both main features, Jakten/The Hunt and Motforestilling/Remonstrance have ENGLISH and FRENCH subs! Løchen's documentary shorts and a couple of features with/on him that come as bonus have English subs only. The director speaks a little bit of French and German behind camera in the free style film essay Søring nordover (1976).

This is very much an eagerly awaited release in a country where we keep asking ourselves if a great film was been produced. Norwegians envy their Scandinavian neighboors for their great directors.
Erik Løchen, then, has stayed for most ciné buffs an enigma, someone the happy few talk of as the Norwegian Godard, a misunderstood genius who was allowed only to execute two projects before dying at age 59. Jakten was actually show at Cannes at its release, but didn't get much of a reception. A lot of new ideas were coming around all over at the time and Jakten must have been seen as just another "modernist" approach, depending heavily on with Brechtian inspiration.
I won't speculate about wether the high expextations are met or not. Given the 13 years and the immense cultural changes that separate the two films, it's difficult to form a picture of Løchen as a director, as one isn't presented with a continuity like with most other prominent filmmakers.

JAKTEN (1959)

is the charmer of the set. The film tells the story about a married couple and their friend who are all staying in a cabin in the mountains where they are hunting. In one of the opening scenes a narrator introduces the three characters and presents the second man and his friend's wife as lovers. She gets annoyed and shouts to the camera that it is a lie, breaking down the fourth wall.

MOTFORESTILLING (1972)

is a much more demanding viewing experience, and I'm not at all sure that a foreigner will find much to enjoy here. Repeated viewings may change that impression, but there is a certain dryness about the film even though it is not completely devoid of humour (the jokes must be pretty incomprehensible if you're not Norwegian). Making a film about a filmmaker wanting to make a film, Løchen seems to seek to mix the political and the poetical here, but leaving a lot to the viewer. The most interesting thing about the film is probably that the DVD format introduces a possibility that Løchen himself couldn't have foreseen: Not wanting to make a film with a head and tail, he claimed that the five reels could be shown in any given order - i.e. in 118 variations. Here is what the NFI offers the owner of the set:

Stalker

Re: NFI's Jakten/Motforestilling: The Films of Erik Løchen

#2 Post by Stalker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:35 am

Has anyone else watched these films?

I was Jakten first, which is truly a remarkable Norwegian film. The standards are usually so low here, but this is on a international level only his grandson Joachim Trier has reached with Oslo 31 August.

As for Motforestilling, that wasn't my cup of tea. A political statement wrapped in a non-linear dramaturgy with a lot of talk. Like a bad Godard-film. But I liked the experiment where the film has 5 parts you can watch in whatever way. Does anyone know about more films like that?

repeat

#3 Post by repeat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:50 pm

I picked up that set while in Oslo some years ago and watched them immediately - pretty much the same impressions as yours: the second one is mildly interesting and highly dated, and Jakten is the better film. Personally I wasn't crazy about that one either, but apparently (if David Bordwell is to be believed) it has some internationally remarkable innovations, and it's certainly essential viewing for anyone with a particular interest in Scandinavian film.

I'm wondering, as both of the above posts (as well as the liner notes of this set) refer to Løchen as the only "international level" Norwegian filmmaker before Trier, are all the others really that bad? I've read a lot of good about Arne Skouen, especially Det brenner i natt!, and Edith Carlmar seems an interesting character as well. That Skouen film is up on YouTube but sadly without subtitles.

Kauno

#4 Post by Kauno » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:56 pm

repeat wrote:I'm wondering, as both of the above posts (as well as the liner notes of this set) refer to Løchen as the only "international level" Norwegian filmmaker before Trier, are all the others really that bad? I've read a lot of good about Arne Skouen, especially Det brenner i natt!, and Edith Carlmar seems an interesting character as well. That Skouen film is up on YouTube but sadly without subtitles.
Arne Skouen (1913–2003) was indeed rather well-known and respected outside of Norway. And so is Anja Breien (1940-).

repeat

#5 Post by repeat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:24 am

Kauno wrote:Arne Skouen (1913–2003) was indeed rather well-known and respected outside of Norway. And so is Anja Breien (1940-).
For what it's worth, the Norwegian DVD of Anja Breien's Rape seems to have English subtitles, as do most of Skouen's (Boys from the Streets, Master and his Servants, Emergency Landing and Nine Lives) and Edith Carlmar's films in the same series of releases.

L.A.

#6 Post by L.A. » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:06 am

repeat wrote:Skouen's (Boys from the Streets, Master and his Servants, Emergency Landing and Nine Lives)
repeat wrote:Edith Carlmar's films in the same series of releases.

Yes, the DVDs have English subtitle options.

I believe Master and His Servants is one of the first Norwegian films shot in scope, among with the horror classic Lake of the Dead (the DVD offer English subs as well, review for the film @ DVDFreak).