Sato Makoto DVD Collection (R2J English Subs)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
shirobamba

Sato Makoto DVD Collection (R2J English Subs)

#1 Post by shirobamba » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:48 am

The good news for japanophiles won't stop: after the unlikely release of Shochiku's Shimizu boxes with English subs, the release of the most important parts of Naomi Kawase's documentary work + her Cannes winner The Mourning Forest, and the French release of the complete works of Yoshida, Mark Nornes (co-owner of the KineJapan listserv) has just announced the release of a DVD collection with almost the complete works of one of Japan's most important documentary film makers: Sato Makoto. More information about Sato Makoto and his films can be found in a very good interview conducted by Mark Nornes for Yamagata's docbox series. The box has already been released.

All the films are subtitled in English by Mark Nornes, who used what he calls "abusive subtitling", an experimental use of subs he has written extensively about in his latest book "Cinema Babel", which is an important contribution in translation theory, especially the theory and history of film translation (dubbing + subbing) For those, who are interested in this topic. Review of Nornes' book at Midnight Eye

Shiro
Last edited by shirobamba on Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Steven H

#2 Post by Steven H » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:58 am

I am *VERY* excited about this release Mr. Shirbamba, and can't wait until proper copies are in my hands.

Let's hope that some of the 60s/70s Japanese documentary filmmakers will get their due in time as well.

shirobamba

#3 Post by shirobamba » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:19 am

Hi Steven,

Yes, especially the films of Ogawa Pro and Tsuchimoto. I had some vague hopes that the celebrations of the '68 centenary, that f. e. unearthed Marker's films of the 60's at Wexner and from ARTE, and doubtless had an influence on such adventurous releases as the Yoshidas in France, would perhaps have a similar effect on some of the Japanese counterparts. But I fear, we have to wait another ten years.

Shiro

Faeton

#4 Post by Faeton » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:43 am

Steven H wrote:I am *VERY* excited about this release Mr. Shirbamba, and can't wait until proper copies are in my hands.

Let's hope that some of the 60s/70s Japanese documentary filmmakers will get their due in time as well.
Me too :D I ordered it last week from Play-asia, where it's a bit cheaper.