Sternberg Dietrichs in various regions

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Jonathan S

Re: Sternberg Dietrichs in various regions

#101 Post by Jonathan S » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:20 am

Over the last few years Mike Schlesinger has indicated in several interviews and postings (on the Classic Horror Film Board) that this title is upcoming as part of a R1 Sony box of Lorre's Columbias - with The Face Behind the Mask (a fascinating early noir) and Island of Doomed Men. The last I read, there were print problems with the last title and some disagreement over how to market the set, which his colleagues wanted to include in Sony's "Icons of Horror" series!

nsps

#102 Post by nsps » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:35 am

How do the Von Sternbergs in the R1 "Marlene Dietrich: The Glamour Collection" (Morocco, Blonde Venus and The Devil Is a Woman) compare with the European releases? (They're mentioned in the filmmaker thread, but I couldn't find any mention of quality.)

foggy eyes

#103 Post by foggy eyes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:44 pm

I had the same problem, David, and spent ages scratching my head over the request for my passport number. In the end I bought a copy from a Spanish seller on Ebay (like this one), and although I paid a few quid extra for the privilege it made the whole process a hell of a lot easier!

The disc is great, and I love the film. Surprisingly, it struck me as almost "minimalist", with the poverty row mise-en-scène often consisting of little more than carefully staged figures and pools of (Sternbergian) light...

HerrSchreck

#104 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:16 pm

nsps wrote:How do the Von Sternbergs in the R1 "Marlene Dietrich: The Glamour Collection" (Morocco, Blonde Venus and The Devil Is a Woman) compare with the European releases? (They're mentioned in the filmmaker thread, but I couldn't find any mention of quality.)
They're the same transfers.

Tommaso

#105 Post by Tommaso » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:13 am

foggy eyes wrote:I had the same problem, David, and spent ages scratching my head over the request for my passport number.
That's very strange. When I read David's post about the passport number, I assumed they required it because he lives in Australia. But as you're from the UK and thus are from the EU, I wonder what's going on. In any case, none of these Spanish e-tailers ever wanted my passport number (I'm in Germany).

And yes, the shipping costs of fnac are ridiculous, and dvdgo is only slightly cheaper. I really wonder why they have to use these couriers. Admittedly, the discs arrive within one or two days, but still...

foggy eyes

#106 Post by foggy eyes » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:06 am

Tommaso wrote:That's very strange. When I read David's post about the passport number, I assumed they required it because he lives in Australia. But as you're from the UK and thus are from the EU, I wonder what's going on. In any case, none of these Spanish e-tailers ever wanted my passport number (I'm in Germany).
No idea. They wouldn't let me put the order through without it, so I gave up and looked elsewhere. Never had the problem with any other overseas e-tailer...

Felix

#107 Post by Felix » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:43 pm

I'm probably being a bit thick here but is this playable without any subtitles at all (it lists heaps of them but no mention of "none").

foggy eyes

#108 Post by foggy eyes » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:49 pm

Felix wrote:I'm probably being a bit thick here but is this playable without any subtitles at all (it lists heaps of them but no mention of "none").
Yes, it's fine.

nsps

#109 Post by nsps » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:53 pm

Felix wrote:I'm probably being a bit thick here but is this playable without any subtitles at all (it lists heaps of them but no mention of "none").
The fact that there are multiple options suggests that none are burned into the video, so yes, it should be easy to turn them off—if not on the menu then with your player's subtitle button.

Thanks for the info, Schreck.

EDIT: Whoops—Foggy Eyes beat me to it.
Last edited by nsps on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Felix

#110 Post by Felix » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:25 pm

Thanks to you both; time to replace the VHS then.