Jean Eustache on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
furbicide

Re: Jean Eustache on DVD

#101 Post by furbicide » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:00 am

Anyone care to guess what this means? Is Boris starting to come around, and are we about to embark on a run of Eustache releases? Or is there a reason why Une Sale Histoire might be an exception?

hearthesilence

#102 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:56 am

Boris is 57 - I would hope he'd come around by now, because now that years have passed, it's clear he's shot himself in the foot and pissed away much of the monetary gain from having the rights to these titles while pushing his father deeper into obscurity (outside of cinephiles, very few and now even fewer people know who he is). I don't know if he's wealthy, but when you're 57 with fewer working days ahead of you and possibly children and grandchildren that could use some help, there are money issues to consider.

kubelkind

#103 Post by kubelkind » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:42 am

Seems like an odd one to start with...not to mention a damn short DVD. You'd think they'd go for the "greatest hit" first. I liked Une Sale Histoire, but I can't see a talky, short, repetitive experimental film on a highly objectionable subject paying Boris's retirement fund somehow...

McCrutchy

#104 Post by McCrutchy » Wed May 10, 2017 8:12 pm

Amazon.fr have posted an image of the back cover of the Potemkine DVD of Un sale histoire. No English subs, only French SDH, it seems.

furbicide

#105 Post by furbicide » Thu May 11, 2017 11:32 am

Well, that's disappointing.

By the way, it's worth noting – for anyone who isn't aware – that this is actually two* Eustache films, not one: it also includes the short Hieronymous Bosch's The Garden of Earthly Delights.

*Well, three, perhaps, depending on how you classify the two parts of Une Sale Histoire. :)

keith

#106 Post by keith » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:06 pm

I have spoken to Potemkin Films in Paris who tell me that Eustache junior is not actually the rights-holder for Une sale histoire and that this accounts for its availability. Boris is a seemingly failed film-maker - one feature from a long time back - and that may play a part in his effective blocking of the release of his father's work. Given the demiurgic powers of rights-holders under French copyright law - even though France is in most respects a highly culturally interventionist state - there would appear to be no circumventing this. Somebody at the Paris Cinémathàque even said to me that we would have to wait for Boris's death ....