Night Watch

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
manicsounds

#1 Post by manicsounds » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:02 am

I saw there is a Russian DVD of this movie out with English subs.

Can anyone care to comment on it?

dvdane

#2 Post by dvdane » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:04 am

There is nothing much to say about it. Image is 1.78:1 (16x9) and looks pretty good, sound is 5.1 Dolby Digital Russian and is very aggressive, lots of action in the rears, and it has English subtitles. Its Region 5 PAL.

The film has a few lapses of reasons in it, people come and go, and alot appears to be selfevident, when its not. Some of the sequences looks like they have been shot by some amateur tourist and the editing is at time far to fast or slow. Techinically, its below average.

The SPFX is mostly CGI, as the good guys morph into animals and stuff, and it has the most insane car action sequence I've ever seen, where a van (like those used by UPS and the Police), by handbrake makes a 360 degree flip in the air to fly over a car in front of them.

It ends in a cliffhanger, as its the first of three.

cafeman

#3 Post by cafeman » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:29 pm

What the dane failed to mention is how insanely fun it is, with complete disregard to reason or viewer understanding. It`s like those crazy incoherent Japanese movies, only Russian. I loved it to pieces.

manicsounds

#4 Post by manicsounds » Mon May 02, 2005 8:23 am

so where are some sites where i can purchase it legitimately?

I've seen on ebay and www.russiandvd.com etc. listing an NTSC Region 0,
which I'm pretty sure its a bootleg copy......

cafeman

#5 Post by cafeman » Tue May 03, 2005 7:38 pm

My copy is a bootleg so I can`t help you with that, but as I understand it, it`s been picked up for US distribution in 2005, so...

Lino

#6 Post by Lino » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:45 pm

Come on, guys: what is the best site to buy this one? I really, really want to see this and as I've no experience on ordering from Russia, I'd appreciate some info. Thanks in advance.

manicsounds

#7 Post by manicsounds » Fri May 12, 2006 8:44 am

A year later, I finally got the UK 2 disc set,
which I thought was great BUT i realized that both disc 1 and 2 contain the International Cut of the film ONLY. either way, this movie was a lot of fun, and I am hoping for a good english release of Day Watch