Essentials from Germany

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
lubitsch

#26 Post by lubitsch » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:53 pm

Very good for the English version, slightly less good for the German one (without subs though you don't need them anyway). I guess it's the same as the excellent Studio Canal releases.

BTW here's a review for the Romy Schneider collection, and a stunning comparison how huge the difference between USA and France/Germany regarding her celebrity status is.

tryavna

#27 Post by tryavna » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:23 pm

I posted a similar message in the Lists thread on German DVDs but realized that this might be the more appropriate thread. Sorry for the double post.
I noticed that nobody has mentioned Bernhard Wicki's 1959 film Die Bruecke (The Bridge). Does that mean that the German Kinowelt DVD offers subtitles? Does Kinowelt generally offer subs? If anybody could let me know, I'd be grateful. I'm planning a purchase from Amazon.de in the near future and want to minimize shipping costs as much as possible.

lubitsch

#28 Post by lubitsch » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:01 am

tryavna wrote:I noticed that nobody has mentioned Bernhard Wicki's 1959 film Die Bruecke (The Bridge). Does that mean that the German Kinowelt DVD offers subtitles? Does Kinowelt generally offer subs? If anybody could let me know, I'd be grateful. I'm planning a purchase from Amazon.de in the near future and want to minimize shipping costs as much as possible.
Kinowelt offers sometimes subs, but only German ones.
BTW Icestorm who has the rights to the complete GDR film production offers DVDs released in germany but also obviously specially aimed at the US market. The DVDs have only English subs, are Region 0 and NTSC!!! I picked some famous ones below.

ROTATION (6.97€ at the moment): Masterful analysis of the life in Third Reich by Wolfgang Staudte

DAS KANINCHEN BIN ICH: Gave the forbidden films of 1965 (almost the whole output of the year) the name "Kaninchenfilme"

DAS ZWEITE GLEIS

DIE LEGENDE VON PAUL UND PAULA: Most succesful film in the GDR history

KARBID UND SAUERAMPFER

DER DRITTE

tryavna

#29 Post by tryavna » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:11 am

lubitsch wrote:Kinowelt offers sometimes subs, but only German ones.
Too bad! Thanks for the information though, Lubitsch. I'll keep the Icestorm label in mind in the future.

htdm

#30 Post by htdm » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:19 pm

In addition to what everyone else has said - I would highly recommend Mabel Cheung's excellent documentary on Jackie Chan's reuniting with his "lost family" in Taiwan - called Traces of a Dragon. I don't think this is available anywhere else right now and it has English subs.

yoshimori

#31 Post by yoshimori » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:09 am

Perhaps of interest:

The Dubini brothers' "doc" on Thomas Pynchon. Haven't seen it, but I think it's in English.

New also is Christian Petzold's Gespenster [Ghosts], which got some attention at Berlin and has, apparently, English subtitles. [The director is listed as one J.S. Bach. Now that's a movie I'd like to see!]

Kinsayder

#32 Post by Kinsayder » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:29 am

Melville's L'Aîné des Ferchaux (1963).

First time on DVD, I think.

Gordon

#33 Post by Gordon » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:38 am

Very well spotted, Kinsayder!

This site states:
Detailed Information:
Drama / Gangsterfilm, 105 Min.
Director: Jean-Pierre Melville
Actor: Charles Vanel, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Michele Mercier, Todd Martin
Film music: Georges Delerue
Original Title: L'Aine Des Ferchaux (1962)
Language: D, F
Picture: Widescreen
I assume that "D" and "F" stand for Deutch and Francais. No mention of untertitel, though. Don't all of these numbered SZ Cinemathek releases from Süddeutsche Zeitung lack english subtitles?

BrightEyes23

#34 Post by BrightEyes23 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:37 pm

Kinsayder wrote:Melville's L'Aîné des Ferchaux (1963).

First time on DVD, I think.
Hmm, if anyone can find out if this has english subs, than it is quite possibly a must buy for me...i love melville!

Kinsayder

#35 Post by Kinsayder » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:50 pm

It looks like SZ-Cinemathek's French titles have a German dub and the original French soundtrack with German subtitles only - at least, that's the case with these other recent releases in the same series:

Les choses de la vie
Hiroshima mon amour

mbowmanh

#36 Post by mbowmanh » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:50 pm

The DVDs in this series only have English subtitles if the original language was English. Otherwise the subs are in German (and sometimes the original "foreign" language). If you have a particular title in mine, go to www.jpc.de and check it out. "Sprache" is language and "Untertitel" is subtitle.

yoshimori

#37 Post by yoshimori » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:29 am

Anybody know whether these r2de new releases have English subs?

Barbara Albert's Nordrand
Michael Glawogger's Nacktschnecken
Michael Glawogger's Megacities
Last edited by yoshimori on Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Numéro 2

#38 Post by Numéro 2 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:12 am

I guess you're refering to the new Austrian dvd releases (reasonably priced at 10 euro each). I bought Nacktschnecken (which isn't Slumming, but his earlier Graz-comedy. Slumming is better but is still to be released on dvd) in Vienna last week and it has indeed English subtitles. I didn't buyNordrand, but I seem to remember English subs on it as well. Megacities hasn't been released yet (but will later this month).

The three releases are part of a large series published by the Austrian newspaper Der Standard and The Austrian Filmmuseum - and consists of the 50 best Austrian films. 25 released in october - 25 will be released this month. Of the releases I saw most of them had English subtitles, so my guess is, that whenever festival subtitles have been available - they've been used.

Other titles include
Good News (Ulrich Seidl)
Der Raben
Praxis der liebe (Praxis of Love - Valie Export)
as well as an Austrian Found Footagec compilation (called Recyclying filmhistory)
Also the early nationalistic sci-fi 1 april 2000 from 1952 (which is the only one I found without any subs)

Of the 7 I bought all of the have been decent to good quality - and are highly recomended!

The complete list

mbowmanh

#39 Post by mbowmanh » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:25 pm

Regarding subtitles, go to this link. Not all films have subtitles, but here is the exact list from the "Standard" web site.

yoshimori

#40 Post by yoshimori » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:06 am

mbowmanh wrote:If you have a particular title in mine, go to www.jpc.de and check it out. "Sprache" is language and "Untertitel" is subtitle.
Another site I've found helpful re "features", including subtitles, on r2de discs is cinefacts.de. Amazon.de is useless in these matters.

Based on the cinefacts info, I just ordered, from amazon, one of the Kluge two-discers: Abschied von gestern + Gelegenheitsarbeit einer Sklavin; Glasner's Der freie Wille; Glawogger's beautiful doc, Workingman's Death; and Watanabe's 19, which, surprisingly, according to cinefacts, has English as well as German subtitles.

Darth Lavender

#41 Post by Darth Lavender » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:53 am

I'm making an order from Amazon.de and just thought I'd resurrect this thread. (Their current shipping costs to Australia have gone down to exactly 14 euros, regardless of how many DVDs)

accatone

#42 Post by accatone » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:38 am

GESPENSTER, INNERE SICHERHEIT and soon to be released YELLA, all by Christian Petzold.

DEALER by Thomas Arslan

MARSEILLE by Angela Schanelec

MILCHWALD and FALSCHE BEKENNER by Christoph Hochhäusler

SEHNSUCHT by Valeska Griesebach

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#43 Post by Caligula » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:17 am

Complete sets of the Western TV series Bonanza (Seasons 1-5) are not available anywhere else in the world, AFAIK.

ptmd

#44 Post by ptmd » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:23 pm

GESPENSTER, INNERE SICHERHEIT and soon to be released YELLA, all by Christian Petzold.

DEALER by Thomas Arslan

MARSEILLE by Angela Schanelec

MILCHWALD and FALSCHE BEKENNER by Christoph Hochhäusler

SEHNSUCHT by Valeska Griesebach
Do any of these have English subtitles? For that matter, does anyone know if the release of Syberberg's "Our Hitler" has subtitles? It lists languages as "German, English" but that may just be because portions of the film feature people speaking in English.

My Man Godfrey

#45 Post by My Man Godfrey » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:07 pm

Alligator:

This has been posted elsewhere, but the Claude Lelouch Edition 1-5 series of box sets is terrific. Except for 2 films in Volume 1 and one in Volume 5, all of the movies have English subtitles.

I'm planning to get the newest Romy Schneider box at some point; it also comes with English subs.

One question for the rest of you mob: are those "Century Collection" sets at amazon.de, e.g. Meilensteine der Filmgeschichte: 40er Jahre, worth picking up? Are they English-friendly?

der_Artur

#46 Post by der_Artur » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:15 pm

The DVDs featured in the "century edition" sets all feature the original English audio, some also English subs.
But they all are the single DVD versions.

My Man Godfrey

#47 Post by My Man Godfrey » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:46 pm

golgothicon wrote:The DVDs featured in the "century edition" sets all feature the original English audio, some also English subs.
But they all are the single DVD versions.
Danke!

accatone

#48 Post by accatone » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:57 am

MARSEILLE, MILCHWALD, SEHNSUCHT and GESPENSTER do have engl. subs!

DIE INNERE SICHERHEIT does not have engl. subs!

Can't comment on DEALER and FALSCHE BEKENNER at the moment - don't have the discs by hand.

Luke M

#49 Post by Luke M » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:31 pm

Silent Hill on HD-DVD :)

accatone

#50 Post by accatone » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:31 pm

FERIEN by Thomas Arslan

Just ordered it - but have seen it on the big screen on its release / last summer! The DVD has engl. subs - another subtle film by the "Berliners".