All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Post Reply
Message
Author
wattsup32
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:00 pm

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1126 Post by wattsup32 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:24 am

It is here: http://www.sears.com/seiki-sr4kp1-up-co ... ockType=G2. Crazy expensive for some reason.

User avatar
sir_luke
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:55 pm

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1127 Post by sir_luke » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:48 am

It's also at Amazon for $69.99.

Telstar
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1128 Post by Telstar » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:01 pm

wattsup32 wrote:It is here: http://www.sears.com/seiki-sr4kp1-up-co ... ockType=G2. Crazy expensive for some reason.
Thanks. Looks like this is a marketplace seller item and Sears no longer stocks these players, which is probably why the price has more than doubled. (That and the online review posted by some well-meaning soul on sears' site specifically pointing out the player's "secret" all-region capabilities.)

User avatar
Petty Bourgeoisie
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:17 am

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1129 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:03 am

Which region free blu-ray player has the best transport? Some of my discs have an adhesive sticker as it's label and my current players all freeze someways into the movie. But strip off the sticker and they play fine. Very frustrating.

Noiradelic
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:45 am

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1130 Post by Noiradelic » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:57 am

Telstar wrote:
wattsup32 wrote:It is here: http://www.sears.com/seiki-sr4kp1-up-co ... ockType=G2. Crazy expensive for some reason.
Thanks. Looks like this is a marketplace seller item and Sears no longer stocks these players, which is probably why the price has more than doubled.
I can vouch that Sears still had the Seiki for sale online till at least 2 weeks ago. It was ~$67. Kmart, the other major retailer that carried it (not counting Amazon) had it 2 weeks ago and it looks like they no longer carry it either.

User avatar
der_Artur
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:13 am
Location: freedomcage

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1131 Post by der_Artur » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:25 am

Does anyone here (especially the european users) have experience with this shop: http://www.multisystem-electronics.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
They sell their multi-region players via amazon and since I don't have a bluray player at all I think one of these machines is the most comfortale way to go for me.
So, is that shop to trust with?

George Drooly
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:09 pm

220-Electronics

#1132 Post by George Drooly » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:32 am

I'm assuming the region-free Blu players at 220-Electronics are modded by them... my question is, do these players generally need the various input codes to play various discs, or once a device is physically modded is it simply "plug & play"?

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1133 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:57 am

The code usually doesn't stick once player gets turned off, so I input code before I turn on player.

User avatar
jindianajonz
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: 220-Electronics

#1134 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:54 am

George Drooly wrote:I'm assuming the region-free Blu players at 220-Electronics are modded by them... my question is, do these players generally need the various input codes to play various discs, or once a device is physically modded is it simply "plug & play"?
Dvds are plug and play, but as far as I know ALL region free Blu-ray always requires a code to be entered to change regions, due to the way Blu-ray region locking works. I have two players from 220 electronics. My Sony is by far the easier one to change; you simply power the machine off and hold down the button of the region you want to play (i.e. 2 for region B) and it boots up on its own in the right mode. The OPPO is a bit trickier, as you need to power up, eject any disc, enter a sequence of 5 buttons, and manually reboot. I often misenter the input (or possibly go to fast ) and often have to try two or three times to get it to take, which is annoying when you have to start a disc and wait for it to load before realizing you did it wrong.

George Drooly
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:09 pm

Re: 220-Electronics

#1135 Post by George Drooly » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:13 am

jindianajonz wrote:
George Drooly wrote:I'm assuming the region-free Blu players at 220-Electronics are modded by them... my question is, do these players generally need the various input codes to play various discs, or once a device is physically modded is it simply "plug & play"?
Dvds are plug and play, but as far as I know ALL region free Blu-ray always requires a code to be entered to change regions, due to the way Blu-ray region locking works. I have two players from 220 electronics. My Sony is by far the easier one to change; you simply power the machine off and hold down the button of the region you want to play (i.e. 2 for region B) and it boots up on its own in the right mode. The OPPO is a bit trickier, as you need to power up, eject any disc, enter a sequence of 5 buttons, and manually reboot. I often misenter the input (or possibly go to fast ) and often have to try two or three times to get it to take, which is annoying when you have to start a disc and wait for it to load before realizing you did it wrong.
Thank you, I just ordered a Sony from them.

User avatar
JSC
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 9:17 am

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1136 Post by JSC » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:23 am

With the OPPO I've found the following steps ensure that the player changes region
codes without issue.

1.) When switching on the player wait for the 'no disc' message to appear at the top.
2.) Enter the code.
3.) Switch off the player. Wait a few seconds.
4.) Switch on the player.
5.) Wait for the 'no disc' message to appear again. Then open the drive and insert
a disc.

I haven't had any issues with the player since.

wllm995
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:45 am
Location: Canada

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1137 Post by wllm995 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:10 pm

I bought a cheap Seiki Blu-ray player from Walmart (C$49.00) a few years ago.
It is set up for Region B Blu-rays - and plays them perfectly.
My regular Samsung Blu-ray player plays all of my Region A Blu-rays perfectly.
Having never run into a Region C Blu-ray (like ever) - I have never worried about it.

C$99.00 takes care of all of my Blu-ray viewing needs.

YMMV

:)

User avatar
jedgeco
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:28 am

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1138 Post by jedgeco » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:08 pm

Seiki owners -- does this player have a "zoom out" feature? (I can't seem to find the manual online anywhere.)

My monitor has a lot of overscan, so this would be a big selling point for me.

Zot!
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:09 am

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1139 Post by Zot! » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:31 am

It does zoom out, but I think it's pretty dramatic and useless for fine tuning overscan. You will see everything heavily windowboxed

User avatar
My Man Godfrey
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:47 pm
Location: Austin

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1140 Post by My Man Godfrey » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:40 am

Well, my cheapo Seiki just bit the dust after about six months of use. Little star, you burned bright during your short life! The thing was inexpensive enough that I can't be too irritated.

Currently following the herd to that Sony all-region player...

User avatar
Drucker
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 9:37 am

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1141 Post by Drucker » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:06 pm

My Man Godfrey wrote:Well, my cheapo Seiki just bit the dust after about six months of use. Little star, you burned bright during your short life! The thing was inexpensive enough that I can't be too irritated.

Currently following the herd to that Sony all-region player...
Can you point me in the direction of the Sony you are talking about? And does it have a good smart player interface?

User avatar
markymark
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:02 am
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1142 Post by markymark » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:20 am

Drucker wrote: Can you point me in the direction of the Sony you are talking about? And does it have a good smart player interface?
While I can't speak to the specific player referred to here, I can say that Sony has a terrible "smart player interface", IMO. Through multiple players in multiple households over a handful of years, it's been slow, clunky, and Netflix freezes a lot. In the same house, I had no trouble with an LG player and ended up buying a Roku for streaming purposes (which is rock solid and well worth the $).

User avatar
My Man Godfrey
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:47 pm
Location: Austin

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1143 Post by My Man Godfrey » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:07 pm

markymark wrote:
Drucker wrote: Can you point me in the direction of the Sony you are talking about? And does it have a good smart player interface?
While I can't speak to the specific player referred to here, I can say that Sony has a terrible "smart player interface", IMO. Through multiple players in multiple households over a handful of years, it's been slow, clunky, and Netflix freezes a lot. In the same house, I had no trouble with an LG player and ended up buying a Roku for streaming purposes (which is rock solid and well worth the $).
I got the version (S1500) that -- I believe -- isn't "smart" at all. My TV drives me crazy -- please just be a TV and stop updating programs I'll never use!

User avatar
Drucker
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 9:37 am

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1144 Post by Drucker » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:06 pm

markymark wrote:
Drucker wrote: Can you point me in the direction of the Sony you are talking about? And does it have a good smart player interface?
While I can't speak to the specific player referred to here, I can say that Sony has a terrible "smart player interface", IMO. Through multiple players in multiple households over a handful of years, it's been slow, clunky, and Netflix freezes a lot. In the same house, I had no trouble with an LG player and ended up buying a Roku for streaming purposes (which is rock solid and well worth the $).
Is said LG player region-free? My set-up is pretty complete, with a trusty OppO to do my region-free lifting. I have another room with a TV though, which I'd like to also get a region free blu for, but hopefully for cheaper than the Oppo.
Last edited by Drucker on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
essrog
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:24 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minn.

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1145 Post by essrog » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:42 pm

I got the Sony S5200 from 220 electronics last summer, and have been happy so far. I haven't had any issues with the streaming services, but I also don't have the longer history with Sony products markymark does.

User avatar
markymark
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:02 am
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1146 Post by markymark » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:16 pm

Drucker wrote:
markymark wrote:
Drucker wrote: Can you point me in the direction of the Sony you are talking about? And does it have a good smart player interface?
While I can't speak to the specific player referred to here, I can say that Sony has a terrible "smart player interface", IMO. Through multiple players in multiple households over a handful of years, it's been slow, clunky, and Netflix freezes a lot. In the same house, I had no trouble with an LG player and ended up buying a Roku for streaming purposes (which is rock solid and well worth the $).
Is said LG player region-free? My set-up is pretty complete, with a trusty OppO to do my region-free lifting. I have another room with a TV though, which I'd like to also get a region free blu for, but hopefully for cheaper than the Oppo.

Both my Sony and LG are region-free players (hardware) via 220 Electronics. I just don't know the models off of the top of my head. FWIW, LG doesn't have an Amazon app if that matters to you (at least my player doesn't and 220 told me it was not added in the pending FW update I've been ignoring for about a year now). If you rely on streaming apps and your budget can afford it (though they're pretty cheap), the Roku 2 is tiny, plenty fast/responsive and pretty cheap. I have a Roku 2 and a 4 and will never rely on TV or BD apps again. The difference in my streaming experience has been night/day with the switch.

User avatar
Drucker
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 9:37 am

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1147 Post by Drucker » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:47 pm

I've actually had a great smart player set-up with the new Samsung I have, it's just not region free!

Telstar
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1148 Post by Telstar » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:01 pm

So what's the deal with the Seiki? Are they simply done with blu-ray players?

(Mine continues to work so simply and beautifully I live in fear of the day it dies.)

User avatar
Emak-Bakia
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:48 am

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1149 Post by Emak-Bakia » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:48 am

This seller on eBay has "more than 10" of the Seiki SR4KP1 players available for $99.99 each. The "best offer" option basically guarantees that you can get it for less. My SR212S had its first hiccup a few weeks ago, which sent me into a paranoid frenzy in which I purchased two back-up region changeable players. I initially offered to the seller $80 each for a pair, which was auto-rejected, but my offer of $90 each was promptly accepted. Plus, I messaged the seller beforehand and he/she agreed to ship them both for a combined rate of $10.

The seller's feedback is perfect, so I don't imagine I have to worry, but I'll report back when I receive the players today or tomorrow.

User avatar
TMDaines
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Stretford, Manchester

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1150 Post by TMDaines » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:47 am

SlySoft (the makers of AnyDVD) are closing their doors. It looks like legal pressure finally became too much. This is a massive blow to the future of HTPCs. Fuck.

Post Reply