It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:24 am 

It is here: http://www.sears.com/seiki-sr4kp1-up-converting-blu-ray-player/p-SPM8010588627?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2. Crazy expensive for some reason.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:48 am 

It's also at Amazon for $69.99.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:01 pm 

wattsup32 wrote:

Thanks. Looks like this is a marketplace seller item and Sears no longer stocks these players, which is probably why the price has more than doubled. (That and the online review posted by some well-meaning soul on sears' site specifically pointing out the player's "secret" all-region capabilities.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:03 am 

Which region free blu-ray player has the best transport? Some of my discs have an adhesive sticker as it's label and my current players all freeze someways into the movie. But strip off the sticker and they play fine. Very frustrating.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:57 am 

Telstar wrote:
wattsup32 wrote:

Thanks. Looks like this is a marketplace seller item and Sears no longer stocks these players, which is probably why the price has more than doubled.

I can vouch that Sears still had the Seiki for sale online till at least 2 weeks ago. It was ~$67. Kmart, the other major retailer that carried it (not counting Amazon) had it 2 weeks ago and it looks like they no longer carry it either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:25 am 

Does anyone here (especially the european users) have experience with this shop: http://www.multisystem-electronics.com/ ?
They sell their multi-region players via amazon and since I don't have a bluray player at all I think one of these machines is the most comfortale way to go for me.
So, is that shop to trust with?

Post subject: 220-Electronics
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:32 am 

I'm assuming the region-free Blu players at 220-Electronics are modded by them... my question is, do these players generally need the various input codes to play various discs, or once a device is physically modded is it simply "plug & play"?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:57 am 

The code usually doesn't stick once player gets turned off, so I input code before I turn on player.

Post subject: Re: 220-Electronics
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:54 am 

George Drooly wrote:
I'm assuming the region-free Blu players at 220-Electronics are modded by them... my question is, do these players generally need the various input codes to play various discs, or once a device is physically modded is it simply "plug & play"?

Dvds are plug and play, but as far as I know ALL region free Blu-ray always requires a code to be entered to change regions, due to the way Blu-ray region locking works. I have two players from 220 electronics. My Sony is by far the easier one to change; you simply power the machine off and hold down the button of the region you want to play (i.e. 2 for region B) and it boots up on its own in the right mode. The OPPO is a bit trickier, as you need to power up, eject any disc, enter a sequence of 5 buttons, and manually reboot. I often misenter the input (or possibly go to fast ) and often have to try two or three times to get it to take, which is annoying when you have to start a disc and wait for it to load before realizing you did it wrong.

Post subject: Re: 220-Electronics
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:13 am 

jindianajonz wrote:
George Drooly wrote:

Dvds are plug and play, but as far as I know ALL region free Blu-ray always requires a code to be entered to change regions, due to the way Blu-ray region locking works. I have two players from 220 electronics. My Sony is by far the easier one to change; you simply power the machine off and hold down the button of the region you want to play (i.e. 2 for region B) and it boots up on its own in the right mode. The OPPO is a bit trickier, as you need to power up, eject any disc, enter a sequence of 5 buttons, and manually reboot. I often misenter the input (or possibly go to fast ) and often have to try two or three times to get it to take, which is annoying when you have to start a disc and wait for it to load before realizing you did it wrong.

Thank you, I just ordered a Sony from them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:23 am 

With the OPPO I've found the following steps ensure that the player changes region
codes without issue.

1.) When switching on the player wait for the 'no disc' message to appear at the top.
2.) Enter the code.
3.) Switch off the player. Wait a few seconds.
4.) Switch on the player.
5.) Wait for the 'no disc' message to appear again. Then open the drive and insert
a disc.

I haven't had any issues with the player since.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:10 pm 

I bought a cheap Seiki Blu-ray player from Walmart (C$49.00) a few years ago.
It is set up for Region B Blu-rays - and plays them perfectly.
My regular Samsung Blu-ray player plays all of my Region A Blu-rays perfectly.
Having never run into a Region C Blu-ray (like ever) - I have never worried about it.

C$99.00 takes care of all of my Blu-ray viewing needs.

YMMV

:)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:08 pm 

Seiki owners -- does this player have a "zoom out" feature? (I can't seem to find the manual online anywhere.)

My monitor has a lot of overscan, so this would be a big selling point for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:31 am 

It does zoom out, but I think it's pretty dramatic and useless for fine tuning overscan. You will see everything heavily windowboxed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:40 am 

Well, my cheapo Seiki just bit the dust after about six months of use. Little star, you burned bright during your short life! The thing was inexpensive enough that I can't be too irritated.

Currently following the herd to that Sony all-region player...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:06 pm 

My Man Godfrey wrote:
Well, my cheapo Seiki just bit the dust after about six months of use. Little star, you burned bright during your short life! The thing was inexpensive enough that I can't be too irritated.

Currently following the herd to that Sony all-region player...

Can you point me in the direction of the Sony you are talking about? And does it have a good smart player interface?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:20 am 

Drucker wrote:
Can you point me in the direction of the Sony you are talking about? And does it have a good smart player interface?

While I can't speak to the specific player referred to here, I can say that Sony has a terrible "smart player interface", IMO. Through multiple players in multiple households over a handful of years, it's been slow, clunky, and Netflix freezes a lot. In the same house, I had no trouble with an LG player and ended up buying a Roku for streaming purposes (which is rock solid and well worth the $).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:07 pm 

markymark wrote:
Drucker wrote:

While I can't speak to the specific player referred to here, I can say that Sony has a terrible "smart player interface", IMO. Through multiple players in multiple households over a handful of years, it's been slow, clunky, and Netflix freezes a lot. In the same house, I had no trouble with an LG player and ended up buying a Roku for streaming purposes (which is rock solid and well worth the $).

I got the version (S1500) that -- I believe -- isn't "smart" at all. My TV drives me crazy -- please just be a TV and stop updating programs I'll never use!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:06 pm 

markymark wrote:
Drucker wrote:

Is said LG player region-free? My set-up is pretty complete, with a trusty OppO to do my region-free lifting. I have another room with a TV though, which I'd like to also get a region free blu for, but hopefully for cheaper than the Oppo.

Last edited by Drucker on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:42 pm 

I got the Sony S5200 from 220 electronics last summer, and have been happy so far. I haven't had any issues with the streaming services, but I also don't have the longer history with Sony products markymark does.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:16 pm 

Drucker wrote:
markymark wrote:
Drucker wrote:

Is said LG player region-free? My set-up is pretty complete, with a trusty OppO to do my region-free lifting. I have another room with a TV though, which I'd like to also get a region free blu for, but hopefully for cheaper than the Oppo.

Both my Sony and LG are region-free players (hardware) via 220 Electronics. I just don't know the models off of the top of my head. FWIW, LG doesn't have an Amazon app if that matters to you (at least my player doesn't and 220 told me it was not added in the pending FW update I've been ignoring for about a year now). If you rely on streaming apps and your budget can afford it (though they're pretty cheap), the Roku 2 is tiny, plenty fast/responsive and pretty cheap. I have a Roku 2 and a 4 and will never rely on TV or BD apps again. The difference in my streaming experience has been night/day with the switch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:47 pm 

I've actually had a great smart player set-up with the new Samsung I have, it's just not region free!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:01 pm 

So what's the deal with the Seiki? Are they simply done with blu-ray players?

(Mine continues to work so simply and beautifully I live in fear of the day it dies.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:48 am 

This seller on eBay has "more than 10" of the Seiki SR4KP1 players available for $99.99 each. The "best offer" option basically guarantees that you can get it for less. My SR212S had its first hiccup a few weeks ago, which sent me into a paranoid frenzy in which I purchased two back-up region changeable players. I initially offered to the seller $80 each for a pair, which was auto-rejected, but my offer of $90 each was promptly accepted. Plus, I messaged the seller beforehand and he/she agreed to ship them both for a combined rate of $10.

The seller's feedback is perfect, so I don't imagine I have to worry, but I'll report back when I receive the players today or tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:47 am 

SlySoft (the makers of AnyDVD) are closing their doors. It looks like legal pressure finally became too much. This is a massive blow to the future of HTPCs. Fuck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next