All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
scubadonc

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1076 Post by scubadonc » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:36 pm

I've had my Seiki for nearly two years and it's fabulous. I've toyed with the idea of getting a second one for that inevitable day when it breaks down.

Zot!

#1077 Post by Zot! » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:06 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:At this point, I only need a more trustworty Region B player than my creaky, cranky Sherwood. ;-}
if you set it to B, it will stay on B, even after power-off.

StevenJ0001

#1078 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:09 pm

Thanks Zot! and others for all the info! May make a nice Xmas present for myself. :D

David M.

#1079 Post by David M. » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:11 pm

Zot! wrote:I know David M. Was complaining in this regard. He's seen more players than myself, of course, but I see no such issue on this or my old Momitsu. The "sharpness" can be set to "low", and the "noise reduction" can be set to "off".
That's an improvement on the cheap players I've seen which didn't have those options at all. Still, as you say, "off" doesn't always mean "off".

manicsounds

#1080 Post by manicsounds » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:20 pm

scubadonc wrote:
Michael Kerpan wrote:Automatically, no need to manually change regions or imput secret coes or whatever?
There is a code. Once the machine turns on, before you put in a disc, hit the setup button. Once that menu pops up enter 5802 and it'll prompt you to change Blu-ray regions (it's already all-region dvd). 1 is region A. 2 is region B. 4 is Region C.
It's not "8520"?

scubadonc

#1081 Post by scubadonc » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:58 pm

manicsounds wrote:It's not "8520"?
You're right. I temporarily lost my mind.

artfilmfan

#1082 Post by artfilmfan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:07 pm

So, I bought the new Seiki Blu-ray player that is sold at Sears. It has played everything I've tried (Regions 1 & 2 DVDs and Regions A & B Blu-rays). Best of all, it resumes play at the last stopped position (on Blu-ray discs which my other players don't).

StevenJ0001

#1083 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:55 pm

artfilmfan wrote:So, I bought the new Seiki Blu-ray player that is sold at Sears. It has played everything I've tried (Regions 1 & 2 DVDs and Regions A & B Blu-rays). Best of all, it resumes play at the last stopped position (on Blu-ray discs which my other players don't).
Cool, thanks for the report!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1084 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:13 pm

10% off region free Sony players (S1200, S3200, S5200) at 220 Electronics with code SNY10 (today only)

Telstar

#1085 Post by Telstar » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:17 pm

So the new Seiki carried by Sears uses the same code as the SR4KPI to switch BD regions, and automatically converts PAL BD material and dvds for NTSC sets?

Zot!

#1086 Post by Zot! » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Telstar wrote:So the new Seiki carried by Sears uses the same code as the SR4KPI to switch BD regions, and automatically converts PAL BD material and dvds for NTSC sets?
The SRK4P1 is the new Seiki....but otherwise, yes.

jindianajonz

#1087 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:51 am

Looking at the product information for the new Seiki, I'm guessing it doesn't have Wifi. (It says no internet connectivity despite Ethernet port listed in its description). Does it have Netflix or Pandora?

Michael Kerpan

#1088 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:36 pm

My Seiki arrived today -- and I set it up promptly for Region B blu-rays -- seems to work. My player was set by default to play only Region 1 DVDs, so I changed this to 0 -- and it seems to handle R1 and R2.

Zot!

#1089 Post by Zot! » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:45 am

jindianajonz wrote:Looking at the product information for the new Seiki, I'm guessing it doesn't have Wifi. (It says no internet connectivity despite Ethernet port listed in its description). Does it have Netflix or Pandora?
Nope,nope,nope. It's a cheap piece of junk that does one thing. It plays all region bds. Don't expect something fancy. Just get yourself a roku box or whatever.

Telstar

#1090 Post by Telstar » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:16 pm

I bought a Seiki yesterday and am very happy with it. My only problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way to get around the player stretching 1:33:1 dvds (like Criterion's Casque d'or) to fill the entire screen. When I push the set up button and look into the TV setting it's displayed as 16:9 "full screen" and "automatic" and also grayed out so that there appears to be no one to alter the setting. Anyone else encounter this?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1091 Post by cdnchris » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:21 pm

Is the remote any better for this new player? My one complaint with the Seiki I bought is that you have to angle the remote a certain way to get it to work... somewhat.

fdm

#1092 Post by fdm » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:59 pm

Telstar wrote:I bought a Seiki yesterday and am very happy with it. My only problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way to get around the player stretching 1:33:1 dvds (like Criterion's Casque d'or) to fill the entire screen. When I push the set up button and look into the TV setting it's displayed as 16:9 "full screen" and "automatic" and also grayed out so that there appears to be no one to alter the setting. Anyone else encounter this?
Just a guess, as I don't have your player, but when my player misbehaves in a similar manner, sometimes it's because there is a disc in the player. Try without (or with, as the case may be) a disc. I suggest automatic is the setting you want.

Jack Phillips

#1093 Post by Jack Phillips » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:26 pm

fdm wrote:
Telstar wrote:I bought a Seiki yesterday and am very happy with it. My only problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way to get around the player stretching 1:33:1 dvds (like Criterion's Casque d'or) to fill the entire screen. When I push the set up button and look into the TV setting it's displayed as 16:9 "full screen" and "automatic" and also grayed out so that there appears to be no one to alter the setting. Anyone else encounter this?
Just a guess, as I don't have your player, but when my player misbehaves in a similar manner, sometimes it's because there is a disc in the player. Try without (or with, as the case may be) a disc. I suggest automatic is the setting you want.
I had a problem like this on a different player. I had to take the setting off 16:9 and put it on something else (sorry, my memory doesn't get any more detailed than that). It seems counterintuitive, but after the setting change 16:9 images still played in 16:9, and 1:33:1 played without being stretched. That's all I can remember.

Telstar

#1094 Post by Telstar » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:13 pm

Jack Phillips wrote:
fdm wrote:
I had a problem like this on a different player. I had to take the setting off 16:9 and put it on something else (sorry, my memory doesn't get any more detailed than that). It seems counterintuitive, but after the setting change 16:9 images still played in 16:9, and 1:33:1 played without being stretched. That's all I can remember.
Yeah, I had to do something like that with a player once too. The problem here, though, is that the Seiki doesn't seem to allow you to alter its setting from 16:9. Unless I can figure this out I may have to hook up another player to my system since I probably have hundreds of dvds in my collection that are going to be stretched in such a way it's going to be tough to watch them on the Seiki.

jindianajonz

#1095 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:59 pm

Have you tried fiddling with the settings on the TV itself to see if you can get it to play nice with the Seiki?

Michael Kerpan

#1096 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:13 pm

jindianajonz wrote:Have you tried fiddling with the settings on the TV itself to see if you can get it to play nice with the Seiki?
I wound up changing the setting on the TV end. That worked...

WilliamGreen

#1097 Post by WilliamGreen » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:38 am

I ended up buying this one back when it was introductory priced. It was crash-prone at first but MacGo seems to have done a good job stamping out the bugs to where it's pretty stable in the latest version. Not sure I'd buy it at the current $39.95 though. I haven't met any region code issues until now for both Blu-ray and DVD, so I think it might fit your bill.

Michael Kerpan

#1098 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:51 pm

WilliamGreen wrote:I ended up buying this one back when it was introductory priced. It was crash-prone at first but MacGo seems to have done a good job stamping out the bugs to where it's pretty stable in the latest version. Not sure I'd buy it at the current $39.95 though. I haven't met any region code issues until now for both Blu-ray and DVD, so I think it might fit your bill.
Is this some bit of software you are talking about?

Telstar

#1099 Post by Telstar » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:32 pm

I'd been curious about why there were volume controls on the Seiki's remote, until I bought a sound bar the other day and discovered that I was unable to get any sound out of it when playing a bd/dvd, regardless of how high the sound bar's volume was set, unless the Seiki player's sound was also turned up. According to the guy at Seiki customer support, this is "normal."

Zot!

#1100 Post by Zot! » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:07 am

Telstar wrote:I'd been curious about why there were volume controls on the Seiki's remote, until I bought a sound bar the other day and discovered that I was unable to get any sound out of it when playing a bd/dvd, regardless of how high the sound bar's volume was set, unless the Seiki player's sound was also turned up. According to the guy at Seiki customer support, this is "normal."
I assume you are using the analog output? That would seem normal to me, Oppo similarly has such a control. I assume it is to try to match output signals from other devices.