German DVDs with English subtitles

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Saimo

German DVDs with English subtitles

#1 Post by Saimo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:30 pm

Can anyone point me a list of German DVDs with English subtitles? I am particularly interested in post-WWII films (Helmut Kautner, Arthur Maria Rabenalt, Peter Pewas etc.). Many thanks.

Tommaso

Re: German DVDs with English subtitles

#2 Post by Tommaso » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:22 am

The films on the Magic Picture label all seem to have English subs. And of course all films from Edition Filmmuseum. Otherwise, you have pretty bad luck, at least for films from the post-WW II era.

repeat

#3 Post by repeat » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:12 am

If there's a Goethe-Institut library in your town, they will probably have a collection of English-subbed DVDs that are not commercially available - for example they've done a 10-DVD box of Helmut Käutner, another one of DEFA films, etc. The most recent batch of releases included a bunch of Konrad Wolf's films (some of which have been available in R1). They do DVDs of contemporary films as well, for example Dreileben, which didn't get a commercial video release anywhere outside of Germany. (Also you can probably get most Edition Filmmuseum titles from them if you don't fancy blind buying)

Saimo

#4 Post by Saimo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:05 am

Thank both of you. I have already started buying some Magic Picture DVDs (not all of them have subtitles).