Jun Ichikawa on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Grimfarrow

Tony Takitani (Jun Ichikawa, 2004)

#1 Post by Grimfarrow » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:01 pm

I really love Tony Takitani, and I'm glad that it will have a chance to be shown theatrically in the US. Incredibly moving, with great tableau visuals inspried by Edward Hopper, amazing cast that plays dual roles and one fantastic score by Ryuichi Sakamoto...a tour-de-force of the best in Japanese talent.
Strand Picks Up Sundance '05 Competition Film "Tony Takitani"
by Brian Brooks/indieWIRE

Strand Releasing has acquired North American rights to Jun Ichikawa's "Tony Takitani," which will have its US premiere at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival in the world dramatic competition section, the company announced Wednesday. The deal was negotiated on behalf of Celluloid Dreams by Charlotte Mickie and on behalf of Strand Releasing by co-Presidents, Jon Gerrans and Marcus Hu. Strand plans a theatrical release sometime in May or June of this year in the U.S.

Based on a story by acclaimed writer Haruki Murakami ("The Wind Up Bird Chronicle"), the story involves a lonely illustrator, Tony Takitani, who finds the unexpected love of a beautiful young woman whose affliction is her uncontrollable urge to collect expensive couture clothing. The film stars well known Japanese actors, Issey Ogata and Miyazawa Rie in what Strand describes as "dual roles akin to Alfred Hitchcock's 'Vertigo' and is used similarly as a thematic tool."

Ichikawa's credits include "Tokyo Lullaby" and "The Osaka Story." The film features a lush score by Academy Award winner Ryuichi Sakamoto, who also did the score for Strand's release of John Maybury's "Love is the Devil."

"We're huge fans of Murakami's writing and considered it a faithful and unique approach to adapting his work for the screen," said both Gerrans and Hu in a statement. Upcoming Strand releases include Fatih Akin's "Head-On," which debuts on January 21st and won best picture from the European Film Academy, as well as critical favorite "Tropical Malady" by Apichatpong Weerasethakul, which was also acquired from Celluloid Dreams.
Last edited by Grimfarrow on Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#2 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:13 pm

I just got the "Tokyo Lullaby" DVD and hope to see it this weekend.

MEK

Steven H

#3 Post by Steven H » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:01 pm

I wonder what kind of US theatrical release we'll get... I don't remember the last time I saw a Strand film come around my way (NC). The official website has some very interesting bits on it (introduction and cast comment). I can't wait.

Grimfarrow

#4 Post by Grimfarrow » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:05 pm

Official Japanese trailer.

I really love that soundtrack....

Steven H

#5 Post by Steven H » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:53 pm

Great trailer and I love the music as well.

There is some hope of seeing this on DVD... though it looks like most of Strand's films are just screen theatrically, they've released a few on home video (most notably Show Me Love). And I think they've licensed a few out as well (at least Vive L'amour). I can only hope this will lead to Jun Ichikawa's films being easier to find for home viewing.

davida2

#6 Post by davida2 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:21 pm

I wonder what kind of US theatrical release we'll get... I don't remember the last time I saw a Strand film come around my way (NC). The official website has some very interesting bits on it (introduction and cast comment). I can't wait.
I've suggested this to the new Galaxy Cinema in Cary (http://www.mygalaxycinema.com) - they've done good business thus far with a mix of Indie American and International film: Almodovar is up now, along with two from Bollywood and one from China, with one screen reserved for Indian film (I think the combo of film fanatics statewide, and a big Indian population in the Triangle has been good for business), and some other European stuff announced. They've gotten press here in the Triangle and in the Charlotte paper as well, so they're turning into a regional draw - and they have a suggestion box on their website. Would love to see them get this, and "Tropical Malady" or "Nobody Knows" among many others...

Steven H

#7 Post by Steven H » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:52 pm

Thanks for the tip, David... I spend a pretty good amount of time in Chapel Hill and Cary, I'm a little dissapointed in myself that I hadn't heard about this theater. I've also sent them a few suggestions (the Ichikawa, and the two others you mentioned). There are a few spots here that I might be able to talk into showing this. The Carolina Theater here in Greensboro is looking to show some "foreign or art" films (there were a few good ones last year, so who knows). It's an old silents theater, pretty nice.

Grimfarrow

#8 Post by Grimfarrow » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:31 pm

Good news - Strand is planning on a release this May/June. Only a few months away!

Anonymous

#9 Post by Anonymous » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:45 am

thanks for the good news. the trailer looks wonderful. for those who haven't read it, here's a linky to the short story.

Mestes

Jun Ichikawa on DVD

#10 Post by Mestes » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:35 pm

This 1997 film by Jun Ichikawa was rated a hefty 2.9 by the 15 voters on IMDB. My personal rating was much higher than IMDB's weighted average.

Tokyo Lullaby is a story of the past intruding on the present, and takes place in a close, older neighborhood of Tokyo. Many of the transitional inserts show the older Tokyo in the foreground, while off in the distance are clear images of the modern Tokyo. In Tokyo Lullaby, it seems that sleek bullet trains and skyrise apartments are always on the horizon, but the place where the inhabitants grew up still dominates their lives. These transitional inserts are reminiscent of Ozu, but unlike Ozu's, the sequence of images is never repeated, and therefore gives me the feeling of inevitable change.

Sometimes Panorama can do an acceptable job with newer films, but this transfer is only average for Panorama. This is a real shame, because some the images in the film demand more attention as they are quite beautiful and carefully crafted. Someday I hope a DVD producer gives Criterion-like attention to this film, and others from the Panorama series "A Century of Japanese Cinema." Many of these Shochiku films deserve it.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#11 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:44 pm

Mestes wrote:This 1997 film by Jun Ichikawa was rated a hefty 2.9 by the 15 voters on IMDB. My personal rating was much higher than IMDB's weighted average.
Clearly a case of voting abuse -- there were five very low votes. I suspect that none of these voters actually saw the film, but were just casting semi-random votes to become "Top 1000" voters. The other raters all had a much higher opinion of it.
Mestes wrote:This story of the past intruding on the present takes place in a close, older neighborhood of Tokyo. Many of the transitional inserts show the older Tokyo in the foreground, while off in the distance are clear images of the modern Tokyo. In Tokyo Lullaby, it seems that sleek bullet trains and skyrise apartments are always on the horizon, but the place where the inhabitants grew up still dominates their lives. These transitional inserts are reminiscent of Ozu, but unlike Ozu's, the sequence of images is never repeated, and therefore gave me the feeling of inevitable change.
I thought it was a quite nice film. Not much happened -- but the three main characters were quite interesting. The urban cinematography was absolutely wonderful (I didn't know they still had any little canals left in Tokyo -- apparently they once had thousands).
Mestes wrote:Sometimes Panorama can do an acceptable job with newer films, but this transfer is only average for Panorama. This is a real shame, because some the images in the film demand more attention as they are quite beautiful and carefully crafted. Someday I hope a DVD producer gives Criterion-like attention to this film, and others from the Panorama series "A Century of Japanese Cinema." Many of these Shochiku films deserve it.
This was a passable Panorama release. They've done much worse. I'm just glad to get anything I can of "the other Ichikawa's" work.

Have yoyu seen the excellent Japanese DVD of "Tokyo Marigold" (good subs -- but accessible only via menu) and the so-so (but acceptable) Panorama DVD of "Tsugumi"?

Mestes

#12 Post by Mestes » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:28 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:This was a passable Panorama release. They've done much worse.

Oh, yes indeed. I should have known better, but on my last DDDHouse order I bought the Panorama release of Assayas' Irma Vep for 5 dollars. The image quality is horrible, and though the back of the box said removable Chinese and English subtitles, my Malata displayed them both at the same time, and worse, the player couldn't find the menu, if there even was one.

On that same order I bought two IVL Toei releases, Fukasaku's House on Fire and Rage of Love. Though I haven't watched them yet, I did preview them, and they appeared to be excellent anamorphic releases. This bodes well for the future IVL Toei releases, including the two Imamuras.
Have yoyu seen the excellent Japanese DVD of "Tokyo Marigold" (good subs -- but accessible only via menu) and the so-so (but acceptable) Panorama DVD of "Tsugumi"?
I have the Panorama of Tsugumi and liked the film, though not nearly as much as I liked Tokyo Lullaby. I had been on the fence about purchasing Tokyo Marigold, but after watching Tokyo Lullaby, I definitely will do so. Other than reading the Ichikawa interview in Schilling's Contemporary Japanese Film, I know little about his work, but plan on learning more.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#13 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:35 pm

I know little about his work, but plan on learning more.
Well, hopefully his newest film "Tony Takitani" will come out on DVD with English subs. His movie before this (a historical one) was apparently not really successful. This is on DVD (but I don't know if it has English subs). There is also a very strange (and atypical) film called "Tadon to Chikuwa" on DVD -- no English subs, alas. But that's it for the moment.

Sadly, no hint that films like "Tokyo Brother and Sister" or "Osaka Story" or "Dying in the Hospital" will be coming out any time soon. I really would love to see more of his work.

MEK

Steven H

#14 Post by Steven H » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:18 am

I watched Tokyo Lullaby, Tugumi, and Tokyo Marigold over the past week or so and really enjoyed all three (and I think I *love* Tokyo Marigold, that commercial! HA!). Ichikawa is such a great storyteller and filmmaker, I'm really hoping to see more of his work soon (my investment in these DVDs was born from just seeing the trailer for Tony Takitani, and I'm very glad I made the purchases).

Like I said, I loved Tokyo Marigold and can't recommend it enough for anyone that wants to see a sensitively made film with beautiful imagery and rich character, that speaks directly to everyone who has experienced loneliness (and much more, the imbaguity of the movie is part of it's brilliance). The other two are bargains (though, in my opinion, Tugumi's soundtrack is quite garish and dated, the film is still interesting and more than worth a look) and great introductions to Ichikawa if you're not willing to shell out $40 for Tokyo Marigold.

I'm with you Michael, dying to see at least Osaka Story, Tokyo Siblings and Takitani.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#15 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:17 am

Glad you got these -- and could find the English subs on "Tokyo Marigold". Have you seen Rena Tanaka's first starring role -- in Isomura's wonderful "Ganbatte ikimasshoi" ?

The score for "Tsugumi" does get annoying from time to time, doesn't it -- same type of cheesy synthesized music on a number of nice Yoji Yamada films too.

"Dying at the Hospital" is also supposed to be an excellent J. Ichikawa film.

Despite Richie's drum beating -- the West just doesn't seem very interested in Ichikawa's quiet and beautiful films.

Check out Ann Hui's "July Rhapsody" -- for a Hong Kong film that reminds me a lot of Jun Ichikawa's work (and is at least as good).

Steven H

#16 Post by Steven H » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:32 pm

I almost went right to the subs on my first try, but turned on the chinese (?) instead. I almost want to avoid Rena Tanaka's films for fear of developing some stalker crush (joking). She is very attractive though... so yes, I will certainly buy more of her films.

Everything I read about Yamada makes me want to avoid his films (especially Tora-san, it sounds volumnous and mediocre, which hurts both my time and my wallet). I'm much more interested right now in seeing Somai, Shinodo, and what's left of the Takahata I haven't seen (Gosho and the documentaries).

Dying in a Hospital does sound great, I just usually forget that title when I'm talking about his work. I'm hoping Takitani might generate a different western view of this director. And I'll try and see July Rhapsody (always a bevy of recommendations, thanks!)

In the meantime, I'll try and watch Tokyo Lullaby again and maybe end up a with a paragraph or so of film specific commentary. Out of the three, it might have my favorite ending.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#17 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:46 pm

So far, the Tanaka films to get are "Marigold", "Hatsukoi" and "Ganbatte ikimasshoi".

"Hatsukoi" (available on a HK DVD -- that only lets you access subs from the memo) also stars Hiroyuki Sanada (who is soo wonderful in "Twilight Samurai"). Very sweet and likeable film -- about a girl reconnecting with her parents. And a Joe Hisaishi score.

"Ganbatte ikimasshoi" is even better. Tanaka is only first among equals here -- the whole group of teenaged girls (a would-be rowers) come across as very authentic. The original Japanese DVD had a wonderful (but not subbed) "making of" feature.

It will be interesting to see whether Tanaka can grow into a first rate grown-up star. (Ditto for the even younger, even more talented Aoi Miyazaki).

If you stick to tracking down RT's better films -- and not buying any swimsuit calendars featuring her -- you should stay clear of opprobrium.

Steven H

#18 Post by Steven H » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:40 pm

Also, her new film Day on the Planet sounds a little interesting, though I still haven't seen Crying Out Love..., a few of the reviews I've read of this have thrown me off.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#19 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:46 pm

Haven't seen "Day on the Planet". Haven't even heard of the other. ;~}

Steven H

#20 Post by Steven H » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:04 pm

Speaking of Ichikawa though, a funny thing happened today (this has more to do with my dealings with a festival entity than the film itself). There is going to be a film festival in Winston Salem (city adjacent to mine) in a month or so, and I emailed them about Tony Takitani (along with some information and reviews) last week to see if they could include it (I'm mostly ignorant of any red tape involved with these things and didn't think an email would hurt).

However, I received an email today saying they had already deadlined for entries but would postpone it because the film sounded so interesting. The problem is that they thought it was *MY* film (and wanted me to overnight a screener and an application). I reread my email and discovered there is no way in hell I should have appeared as if it was my film, and yet the email was certainly not a form response, this was pure miscommunication. I called the organizer of the event and had a conversation explaining the confusion. She sounded disappointed, and a bit irritated, but when all is said and done they won't be showing this film. I'm beating myself up over this, because they seemed really interested, and maybe if I had acted sooner and tried a little harder with both ends something could have been worked out (or not, they didn't sound particularly interested in going too far out of their way).

A learning experience for sure.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#21 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:11 am

A learning experience for sure.
Pretty bizarre story. Maybe someone on the KineJapan mailing list would have had contact information for Jun Ichikawa. ;~}

MEK

yoshimori

#22 Post by yoshimori » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:13 pm

For those who, unlike me, really liked the film, the r2j of Tony Takitani will have english subtitles. Available 9/22. Eventually, of course, Strand will put out a dvd, but...

postmodern-chuck

#23 Post by postmodern-chuck » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:06 pm

I've seen the trailer and it does look like it has promise, but I am still ambivalent about this film. As an impassioned fan of Haruki Murakami's work, I find the concept of a "faithful adaptation" (a loaded trope, I know, but bear with me) a little vexing -- and when I think of the commercialization of the absurd, I panic a bit. Has anyone here seen the film and read the novel? As I said, I am concerned less with narrative fidelity and moreso with what a neophile might call the essence of a text. With a novel as dense, multilayered, multinarrative, meta-fictional, etc. as Wind-Up Bird Chronicles, I can only imagine how unweidly and disarming a word-for-word adaptation might be. Really, I just want to know if it is still recognizably Murakami and absurdity of the text is not tamed and domesticated. If cinematic means must be used to transcribe these things -- well, I will value the existing essence of the original work and ignore the liberties taken with the narrative.

Judging from the title, I can see the director trying to distance himself from the source material a bit. Maybe that's a good thing... maybe this will be more of a translation than a straight adaptation. I know this post was pretty rambling, but Murakami's an author I love very dearly and I'd hate to see his work butchered, really.

todcraproductions

#24 Post by todcraproductions » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:05 pm

I missed the Tony Takatani story (I was holding off on reading it until I'd seen the film... at which point the link expired!), but I am a huge Murakami fan as well (Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is my favorite novel), and I was pretty disappointed with the film; I think part of this is that it ran with a short that was based on "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Tuesday's Women" (the short story from Elephant Vanishes that was later turned into the novel) and that was so not good. They really screwed the pooch when making that one (just really... lame, obvious; erm, if you've read the story, when he meets the girl over by the trainyard, she's LITERALLY wearing a tank-top reading "The Mysterious Woman"), so it sort of primed me to dislike Murakami Adaptations That I'd Seen That Night, I think.

Tony Takatani isn't really bad, per se, it's just really, really glacially slow, which works sometimes, and other times doesn't. (Also, 99% of the film is told through narration; it's another.. hit-and-miss strategy; sometimes it's really cool, sometimes you wonder why you just didn't stay home and listen to an audiobook.) It does seem sort of like a bit of a more adaptative translation than a straight movie-from-story, but it really could have been better, although it (and that awful short before it) made me realize why Murakami only very rarely gives film rights to anyone -- he knows the perfect venue for his stories is the page, and they simply don't work in other media -- they just don't get the same... tone.

Basically, i'm glad I saw it (though, I could have gone without Tuesday's Women), but I won't pick it up or anything. I'd recommend Murakami fans rent it, but it's definitely not something I would say is worth a blind buy at all.

postmodern-chuck

#25 Post by postmodern-chuck » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:20 pm

Basically, i'm glad I saw it (though, I could have gone without Tuesday's Women), but I won't pick it up or anything. I'd recommend Murakami fans rent it, but it's definitely not something I would say is worth a blind buy at all.
Thanks for the heads-up -- this is, unfortunately, the sort of answer I expected. I'll wait for the rental, but not eagerly. I think I'll spend my time reading Kafka on the Shore instead, which I am still too busy to fiddle with and too poor to purchase. Agh. Those darn undergraduate woes.