La Dolce Vita (Umbrella Australian Blu-ray)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Stephen

Re: La Dolce Vita (Madman Oz)

#1 Post by Stephen » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:44 am

According to Umbrella’s website, they are the same extras that appeared on their previous 2 disk DVD Collectors Edition.

Magic of Fellini - Documentary with Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese & Donald Sutherland - 55 Mins
Interviews with Anita Ekberg and Maurizio Porro - 25 Mins
Cinema Forever - Short Documentary - 8 Mins
Fellini in New York - 26 Mins
Remembering the Sweet Life - Interviews with Anita Ekberg and Marcello Mastroianni - 12 Mins
Cinecittà, the Home of F. Fellini - 4 Mins
Fellini, Roma, Cinecittà - Interview with Fellini - 7 Mins
Fellini TV Collection - 35 Mins
Fellini Trailer Collection - 8 1/2, Il Bidone I Vitelloni Juliet of The Spirits La Dolce Vita Rome, Open City - 14 Mins

1080p/Mono DTS-HD

I believe that Carmen Piccini’s 2002 Fellini documentary is an exclusive.

Stephen

#2 Post by Stephen » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:37 am

Yep. Terrific price and a day one buy for me. I love that Umbrella are pushing out some terrific releases in Oz.

Anthony Thorne

#3 Post by Anthony Thorne » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:43 pm

I think years of yellow SBS subtitles for foreign films on Oz TV have probably influenced them here , but since it's all beneath the scope frame (with no chance of white-on-white obscuring of text) I agree they could and likely should have gone with standard white.

Aunt Peg

#4 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:53 am

Though this release is from Umbrella not Madman.

Aunt Peg

#5 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:36 pm

I am very unimpressed with Madman.

They have Stranger by the Lake coming on DVD next month and state on their site that the film it 1:78:1 or 1:85:1 full height. However, the film was shoot in 2:35:1.

I sent them a very polite email questioning what is the story. I haven't received a reply. So fuck them, I'm buying it from the UK which are now going to have it released on Blu Ray - even better.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: La Dolce Vita (Umbrella Australian Blu-ray)

#6 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:52 pm

They did give a microphone to the great Adrian Martin, who contributed the best commentaries yet recorded for a Chabrol or Godard film (several of which Criterion has ported over)

ellipsis7

#7 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:51 pm

The definitive disc of LA DOLCE VITA has to be the new Italian BR from Mustang Entertainment , a beautiful HD rendering of that 4K Gucci/Film Foundation/Cinema Ritrovata restoration (starting with those 4 captions posted by David)... It has excellent English subs, sometimes slightly anticpating the relevant dialogue...

The Doogster

#8 Post by The Doogster » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:18 pm

I just got around to watching this after picking it up at a recent JB Hi-Fi sale. It only cost $8, so I wasn't expecting much.

The PQ is OK, but the subtitles are without a doubt the worst I've ever encountered. The putrid yellow colour has already been noted. But what annoys me most is the sheer amateurishness of the subtitles. There are countless grammatical errors, and just plain wrong words. The section spoken in English has subtitles which don't match up to what's actually being spoken. It's like someone got halfway through a first draft of the subtitles and said, "F*** it, that'll do."

bugsy_pal

#9 Post by bugsy_pal » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:55 am

Well said David! They do have the lion's share of the world cinema disc market here in Oz, and we still have to pay top dollar for the stinking yellow subtitles. I have bought a few discounted titles of theirs here and there, and some have been quite good. I managed to get the Madman bluray of The Leopard, which is very nice and a better transfer than the Criterion (but again with the yellow subs) - but that disc was only available for a very short time and seems to have disappeared altogether - what's with that?

charal

#10 Post by charal » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:48 am

My understanding is that halfway through the release of Madman's Fassbinder collections both white and yellow subs became available. I noticed that subsequent releases I have sampled from SA libraries all have this option. I assume Leopard predates this practise. Madman logic is the logic of madmen: why did they only release one Kluge film and not a classic at that. Why didn't they put out a 3 disc set containing YESTERDAY GIRL, FEMALE SLAVE and STRONGMAN FERDINAND? It would have had some market appeal, even if limited. Like all Oz collectors I had the sense to get my Kluges from overseas. As I have done up to now with nearly 100% of my collection.

R0lf

#11 Post by R0lf » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:02 pm

Thankfully in Australia we also have $50 region free blu-ray players so we never have to buy Australian discs!