Brazilian Documentaries

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
thirtyframesasecond

Brazilian Documentaries

#1 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:31 am

Hello,

Bit of a long shot, but I wondered if anyone knew where you could buy Brazilian documentary films, specifically the films of Eduardo Coutinho, Joao Moreira Salles and Leon Hirszman. A student in our library has asked for us to buy them. We have the most readily available already but wondered whether there's somewhere that might sell them beyond what I could Google ;)

Thanks.

Gregory

Re: Brazilian documentaries

#2 Post by Gregory » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:02 pm

You may have already seen this, but there's a very inexpensive DVD set of Joao Moreira Salles's Futebol documentaries available from the UK.
Cinema Guild has released Eduardo Coutinho's Santa Marta: Two Weeks in the Slums.
Many of these films have been released in Brazil by VideoFilmes, but some of them seem to be out of print. For example, I found only two of the Leon Hirszman releases at one retailer, both dramas, not documentaries. The Leon Hirszman Project seems to have kept his work in circulation, so you could contact them via the email address on the site to ask them to suggest the best place for your library to order from.

thirtyframesasecond

Re: Brazilian documentaries

#3 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks, that has helped. Hopefully the Hirszman Project will come good.

Luckily another library in London has a lot of the Coutinho's.