Jeonju Digital Project

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
zedz

Jeonju Digital Project

#1 Post by zedz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:32 pm

Apologies if I've missed this being mentioned elsewhere, but I just stumbled across this very exciting release of nine years' worth of films from the Jeonju Digital Project.

Every year, the Jeonju Film Festival invites three filmmakers to contribute a digital film, which are screened together as a programme. Costa's The Rabbit Hunters was one of these.

So this lavish nine-disc set includes substantial films (most are a half-hour plus) from Tsai Ming-liang, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Eugene Green (the exquisite Correspondences), Jia Zhang-ke, Bahman Ghobadi, Bong Joon-Ho, Ishii Sogo, Tsukamoto Shinya, Harun Farocki, Idrissa Ouedraogo etc. etc. Most of these are unavailable elsewhere.

It covers the programmes from 2000 to 2008. The 2009 collection (Kawase, Hong, Diaz) was available separately under the title Visitors, but now seems to be OOP. A lot of Korean DVDs seem to have a fleeting shelf-life, so if you're interested in this release you'd be advised to act fast.

AlexHansen

Re: Jeonju Digital Project

#2 Post by AlexHansen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on this zedz. Wasn't sure if this was still available anywhere. I've enjoyed the shorts I've been able to catch thus far (the Tsai totally blindsided me; love love love that one), so this will probably end up being my birthday present this year. Hopefully last year's Denis/Guerin/Straub programme shows up on disc sometime. And this year's line-up was just announced.

zedz

#3 Post by zedz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:40 pm

Last year's line-up sounded like the strongest one yet, so I hope they get round to releasing the 2010 and 2011 programmes as well at some point.

BigMack3000

#4 Post by BigMack3000 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:03 am

Any suggestions to go along with this for YesAsia's buy 3 get 1 free deal?

perkizitore

#5 Post by perkizitore » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:14 am

That offer is misleading, if you buy 3 Korean titles you get one extra free out of a selection of 10 DVDs, not the cheapest of the three!

zedz

#6 Post by zedz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Yeah, you (or I, at any rate) just get a random freebie added to your cart.

rockysds

#7 Post by rockysds » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:28 am

zedz wrote:The 2009 collection (Kawase, Hong, Diaz) was available separately under the title Visitors, but now seems to be OOP. A lot of Korean DVDs seem to have a fleeting shelf-life, so if you're interested in this release you'd be advised to act fast.
Visitors has just jumped back into availability at YesAsia, where I snatched up a copy of it along with the big Jeonju box. Thanks for making me aware of it, zedz.

John Edmond

#8 Post by John Edmond » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:45 am

Sight and Sound combo review of the DVD set and the theatrical release of the 2009 collection.

knives

#9 Post by knives » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:46 pm

Any word on more recent releases? The last few years have had a lot of interesting sounding films, but only Haroun's Expectations seems to have gotten a release in english speaking territories.