German Sound Classics box (1930-1945) with English subs

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
htdm

Re: German Sound Classics box (1930-1945) with English subs

#51 Post by htdm » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks TMDaines - the DEFA Box is still available at Amazon.de from third party sellers but this version doesn't have any subtitles.

naersjoen

#52 Post by naersjoen » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:42 am

According to the paper inlays for the individual discs in the Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung DEFA box, there are English, French and Spanish subtitles for Die Architekten, English subtitles for Der Dritte and no subtitles for any of the other titles. I am not near my copy at the moment, so cannot verify this.

Wu.Qinghua

#53 Post by Wu.Qinghua » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:15 am

naersjoen wrote:According to the paper inlays for the individual discs in the Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung DEFA box, there are English, French and Spanish subtitles for Die Architekten, English subtitles for Der Dritte and no subtitles for any of the other titles. I am not near my copy at the moment, so cannot verify this.
I can confirm, that there are English subs for The Third as well as English, French and Spanish subs for Architects only - and (non-hoh) German subs for the Russian parts of Wolf's I was 19. As far as I can see, all of the discs in the set are identical to the retail versions, which are sold by Icestorm and which usually are less than impressive .

Oh, and let me add that this DEFA box set Parallelwelt Film TMDaines has linked above is NOT a regular retail set and therefore shouldn't be sold on Amazon unless it's used. It's a subsidized set which can be bought rather cheaply by 'German citizens' [Edit: wrong, see below] in public stores for political education. Anyway, you could buy the German discs individually if you wouldn't need no subtitles, but I guess you'd better check with the Defa Film Library for subtitled versions if you reside in the US.
Last edited by Wu.Qinghua on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

TMDaines

#54 Post by TMDaines » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:50 am

You can buy the set if you're an EU resident from the site I linked previously. It's not just for Germans.

Wu.Qinghua

#55 Post by Wu.Qinghua » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:38 am

Oops. I'm sorry, I didn't know. That institution's also shipping to Azerbaijan and other places nowadays, so I wonder if you really have to be EU resident to get your order fulfilled, as I can't find no such restrictions in the trade terms; reading them I get the impression they're shipping everything everywhere these days. Ah, globalization ... :wink:

Btw, in case anybody's interested in this: The DEFA box discs are generally PAL R0 - except of Architects and The Third which are said to be NTSC R0. At least, that's what's written on the sleeves.

Perkins Cobb

#56 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:35 am

Hmmm ... I'm looking in the Goethe Institut New York's online catalog, and they only seem to have the First Run releases of the films they put out (e.g. Der Dritte), not the DEFA box. Sucks.

Anyone have a link or list of the contents, or confirmation of English subs, for the Kautner box?

TMDaines

#57 Post by TMDaines » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:51 am

I can't find anything for it except what the Goethe Institut lists on Montreal's database. Rips of the disks are easy to find on public torrent sites though, which have all the subtitles present as DVD style sub/idx.

Perkins Cobb

#58 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:02 am

Yes, I noticed some of those myself, although I'm not a torrenter.