Italian DVDs from Titanus

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
max_cherry

Italian DVDs from Titanus

#1 Post by max_cherry » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:46 am

Just found some Italian classics on amazon.it - with english subs (as stated on amazon' page), from Titanus label.

Does anybody knows anything about it - picture quality, eng subs yes/no?..

for example:
Il Tempo si è fermato
Il Posto (user commentary about Il posto says smth about film not being in original aspect ratio...)

MichaelB

Re: Italian DVD from Titanus

#2 Post by MichaelB » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:48 am

They both claim to have English subtitles, but the negative comment on Il Posto suggests you'd be better off with the Criterion or even the Mr Bongo.

max_cherry

Re: Italian DVD from Titanus

#3 Post by max_cherry » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:10 pm

MichaelB wrote:They both claim to have English subtitles, but the negative comment on Il Posto suggests you'd be better off with the Criterion or even the Mr Bongo.
Well, Criterion' Il Posto already on the shelf, but Lattuada... More important, the same Titanus just released two early Elio Petri's.

Perkins Cobb

Re: Italian DVDs from Titanus

#4 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Wow, Petri's The Assassin (aka Ladykiller of Rome) and I giorni contati. Droolworthy.

If anyone can confirm English subs and speak to image quality, please chime in.

Erikht

#5 Post by Erikht » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:04 pm

Well, they do have both English and Italian subs. Good for learning Italian better.

rohmerin

#6 Post by rohmerin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:22 pm

I think they release non anamorphic letterbox versions according to the store where I buy.

max_cherry

#7 Post by max_cherry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:03 pm

According to some torrent-tracker info, The Assassin is 1,85:1 non-anamorf letterbox and without english subtitles, alas...

rohmerin

#8 Post by rohmerin » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:09 am

il tempo si è fermato was avalaible in France by CARLOTTA in an OOP box.
Stunnig beautiful small film. Be careful because it's spoken in Friulian or other Regional language (that is a miracle because it's close to Spanish and French, sometimes, so I could understand it). It's a scope film, may be it's not anamorphic (I watched a downloaded print), according to Italins it's 1:85 letterbox but the French is 2:35.

This Titanus DVDs are produced by 01 distribuzione, and like the Matarazzo's don't have subttiles. Well, I don't need subtitles at all, but non anamorphic in 2011 is really a shame.

Perkins Cobb

#9 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:18 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Amazon.it still lists the two Petri films as having subtitles, and I almost took the plunge.

At least The Assassin is playing at MoMA this month, for anyone who's in New York.

rohmerin

#10 Post by rohmerin » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:47 am

There's a French alternative to some Titanus films (for example, Comencini's impressive Casanova), or to the previous one also edited by 01, collection "Italiani da culto" (blue color, 5 GB dvd, non subs, example http://www.dvd-store.it/DVD/DVD-Video/P ... i%20venere" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
I've discover there's a collection call Les films de la SNC chez M6 "Les maitres italiennes"

http://www.m6store.com/fr/univers_40_ms ... aliens.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are very interesting extras on many DVDs.

The big question is if the French subs are fixed or optional ? Je ne sais pas.

Petri's The assassin has been shown in Cannes classics and it's re-released in cinemas by Carlotta.

http://www.cartelespeliculas.com/galeri ... os=-160085" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;