Otto; Or, Up With Dead People (Bruce LaBruce, 2008)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Wu.Qinghua

Otto; Or, Up With Dead People (Bruce LaBruce, 2008)

#1 Post by Wu.Qinghua » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:27 pm

Anybody in here familiar with 'New Queer Cinema'?

I don't know whether Bruce LaBruce falls under this label, but I'd like to revisit his zombie movie "Otto". I really enjoyed it when I saw it on some festival back in 2008.
According to Slant Magazine, the American disc released by Strand features a weak transfer and lacks subtitles but encompasses an audio commentary by LaBruce. Has anyone listened to it or would recommend it?
Second, there's a German DVD with a handful of distinct subtitles which unfortunately lacks a commentary. Does anybody know whether the picture quality is better, same or even worse than the first one?

perkizitore

Re: Otto; Or, Up With Dead People (Bruce LaBruce, 2008)

#2 Post by perkizitore » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:02 pm

The film requires a Beaver comparison :-D

Wu.Qinghua

Re: Otto; Or, Up With Dead People (Bruce LaBruce, 2008)

#3 Post by Wu.Qinghua » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:21 pm

I guess you are right, perkizitore. And as "Otto" is a very cute movie which might appeal to different audiences (gay/lesbian, genre, leftist et.) it's a pity that there's no comparison to be found yet.

Let's recapitulate provisionally. There are three different discs out yet:

Strand (RC1): DVD9; no subtitles; director's commentary; deleted scenes; trailer; NTSC; probably weak transfer
GoodMovies (RC2, Edit:German disc is said to RC0): DVD5; 7 different subtitle tracks, English, French, German, Spanish included; deleted scenes, but no commentary; PAL
Kojo (RC4): English subtitles(?); PAL; good transfer

I hope I got that right.
Btw, thanks, David.

I am not quite sure, but it may be rewarding to watch "Otto" after having seen Wenders' "Wings of Desire". I guess that might be a cool 'Berlin' double bill. But be aware, I saw "Wings of Desire" back in the 80s, when the GDR and the Western German 'welfare state' were still existing.